18 seconds to decide....Taker or no???

Founder

Founder Since 1999
Do you drop the hammer or pass?

PS - Thank you to you all for visiting and contributing to the site. It's very much appreciated.

[facebook]facebook.com%2Fmonstermuleys%2Fvideos%2F1020559114998508[/facebook]

Brian Latturner
MonsterMuleys.com
@mm_founder on Instagram
LIKE MonsterMuleys.com
on Facebook!

I would like to meet the hunter who would pass on this buck. I would offer him/her the name of a good psychiatrist!

Shoot!!

>I would like to meet the
>hunter who would pass on
>this buck. I would
>offer him/her the name of
>a good psychiatrist!
>
>Shoot!!

Crap, I thought there could be something wrong with me. It was still early in the hunt when I seen him, with fresh snow moving bucks around. He was even in range at about 300 yards. I didn't get a buck that year either.

Brian Latturner
MonsterMuleys.com
@mm_founder on Instagram
LIKE MonsterMuleys.com
on Facebook!

>Utah general season= yes
>
> Utah L.E. = probably
>on the last day.

So Ridge?

You'd let that Buck Walk in the Book Cliffs?

I know so many people in so many places
They make allot of money but they got sad faces

It Ain't Easy being Me!:D:D:D

Boom!

-Hawkeye-

My Favorite Expo Tag Quotes:

"It is fair to ask how much comes in with the five dollar application fees and how much went onto the ground.? Don Peay of SFW during 3/31/2005 Wildlife Board Meeting.

"There will be a full accounting of how the applications fees are spent.? Don Peay of SFW - 9/26/2006 - Monstermuleys.com

At a quick glance I would guess him at about 28 or 29 inches wide and 177 to 179 gross score.
I would hope he would stop and give me a good look from the front. I am sure I would definitely be setting up and getting the crosshairs on him if he was within range. May or may not pull the trigger depending on where I was hunting and what the conditions were at the time.

I would stop that buck with a well-timed fart before dropping the hammer. 300 yards away you say? Don't underestimate my flatulence.

I'm trying to figure out a reason to NOT shoot him. I couldn't find one other than it would end the hunt.

>>Utah general season= yes
>>
>> Utah L.E. = probably
>>on the last day.
>
>
>So Ridge?
>
>You'd let that Buck Walk in
>the Book Cliffs?
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
If I lived out closer to the unit where I could spend a lot of time scouting. I would hope to have a couple a little bigger than that on my hit list but because of how far it is out there from my house, I'll stick with a closer unit.
I'd be looking for a solid 180"+ buck and I think that buck falls just a little short but I could be wrong. I know I have been in the past.

How big do you think that buck is elk?
Why don't you throw out some numbers elk?

Main beam looks a little short to me.. The rest looks decent. If it was the first day or two of the hunt I would certainly let him go.

He's a great straight 4. I've got several of those. If it's a good tag I'd hold out for better or unique. If its general season tag you can get every year, he goes home with me and joins the others....

Videos can be kind of tricky but I think it depends on circumstances. A general season or LE, Last day, first day etc.
He is a very solid buck but he is not a drop the hammer no question asked on some hunts.

I believe he is a mid 170s type buck. General season id prob whack him no question. Unless I had a considerably better buck I knew of and still had plenty of Hunt left.

Henry mountains or Arizona strip opening day thru midweek he probabaly lives.

Great buck Very few circumstances I'd pass on him.

> At a quick glance I
>would guess him at about
>28 or 29 inches wide
>and 177 to 179 gross
>score.
> I would hope he would
>stop and give me a
>good look from the front.
>I am sure I would
>definitely be setting up and
>getting the crosshairs on him
>if he was within range.
>May or may not pull
>the trigger depending on where
>I was hunting and what
>the conditions were at the
>time.

^^^^ Agree^^^^ 100%

LAST EDITED ON Apr-16-19 AT 04:22PM (MST)[p]I think that buck would grow on you as you walked up on him! Could be mid 170's but wouldn't be surprised if he grossed mid 180's. Hoss body, and if he has eyeguards he is a no doubter in my book.

>>>Utah general season= yes
>>>
>>> Utah L.E. = probably
>>>on the last day.
>>
>>
>>So Ridge?
>>
>>You'd let that Buck Walk in
>>the Book Cliffs?
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>If I lived out closer to
>the unit where I could
>spend a lot of time
>scouting. I would hope to
>have a couple a little
>bigger than that on my
>hit list but because of
>how far it is out
>there from my house, I'll
>stick with a closer unit.
>
>I'd be looking for a solid
>180"+ buck and I think
>that buck falls just a
>little short but I could
>be wrong. I know I
>have been in the past.
>
>
>How big do you think that
>buck is elk?
>Why don't you throw out some
>numbers elk?

Because I Don't Let Scores Bother Me!

I Hunt one of the Over Hunted/Poorest Quality/Toughest General Units there is anywhere in the State!

The Buck Might be a little Shy of 180" & I Don't Care!

Just Sayin:

You Let that Buck Walk on the Crack of Daylight In the Book Cliffs Opening Morning & I'll Guarantee You,You Screwed Up!

I know so many people in so many places
They make allot of money but they got sad faces

It Ain't Easy being Me!:D:D:D

I think the main issue here is the OP?s question was if you only had 18 seconds what would you do.
I have been on some hunts that started to take quite a few days and not seeing a shooter and in those circumstances I probably would not hesitate to shoot a buck of that quality if I had the chance. Especially if there was only 18 seconds to make up my mind.
I have applied for a Gunnison fourth season tag this year and I have a very good chance to draw it. I think if I see a buck like that I have an opportunity to take him I probably will try.
It's kind of sad to say but that really is a modern day big buck. From all of the reports I've gotten on the Gunnison that would probably be a top end buck there nowadays
Nice buck Brian if you got that good of a video shot on him I'm sure you could have killed him with your rifle.

I'd pass that buck. I'm never big on judging a buck from behind. Nice buck, no doubt and I'd likely tag him if it were the last day and I hadn't located a better deer. I think he's closer to 170 IMO....

http://fenderimages.com

2 seconds is all I would need.
Heck ya.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

In an easy to draw Unit, 'bang' first day.

When I cashed in 14 PP in Colorado, I would have taken him later in the hunt, but not the first couple of days.

My goal was 190" or better, and I came home empty, after passing up 150's almost every day, and 170's a couple of times.

I think maybe he's a little better than some are saying? Lows 180's maybe. A nice buck for sure. I'd likely take him and just deal with the score shaming that's certain to follow from the IG/Kuiu/Flatbrimmer crowd who think he doesn't measure up to their expectations or inches standards.

Just a great looking buck. That's all I need. It'd never see a tape, so that stuff is irrelevant.

Tough to pass on that one!

As a lot of others have said, depends on if it was early in the hunt or late. In Nevada, if I have a tag that has snow on the ground like that, I'm probably hunting a late season tag, and I would keep looking for a few days.

Founder...For some reason I have not been able to see your last couple of pics posted?? The area for the pic is blank? Thanks ....Jim

Buckhorn is right on the nuts sizing him up. My gut tells me he would get a hall pass if I were behind the trigger. I've become weary of dropping the hammer on bucks that don't stand out to ME as extraordinary in this situation BUUUT if he did hit the snow on accident I'm sure he'd be just as tasty!!

Sit tall in the saddle, hold your head up high, keep your eyes fixed to where the trail meets the sky...

18 seconds...not enough time to judge, range, get set, shoot, even without that stinking tree. But hey... I'm just a mere mortal.

Jim. The video clips are hosted at Facebook. Maybe That's a problem for some....???
I post them there to try and push people here.

>Founder...For some reason I have not
>been adble to see your
>last couple of pics posted??
>The area for the pic
>is blank? Thanks ....Jim

Brian Latturner
MonsterMuleys.com
@mm_founder on Instagram
LIKE MonsterMuleys.com
on Facebook!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back