19 Wyoming Non-resident moose preference points

Gunner

Wow not sure what happened, lost my account and thread after the update. Anyhow I have 19 non-resident preference points for Wyoming moose. Was wondering which area would be best to try for a tag unit 23 or 24?
Unit 26 is out of range
Thanks
Gunner

Good luck in unit 24, Gunner!!!

Spent my WY NR moose points in 2018, unit 23. Had enough points to draw any of the Bighorn units but not the Snowy Range. My brothers committed to going with me if I went somewhere closer, so I went with 23. I spent quite a few days scouting both inside (north end to central) and outside (west side) of the Greys. I found one nice bull just barely into unit 24 coming in from Sheep Cr on the Greys.

I ended up hunting archery and then later rifle. The biggest bull of the trip was at 58 yards broadside on the archery opener. Couldn't get the right window and never saw it again. Took a 39"er on Sept 26, calling it in to 4 yards (rifle).

The hunt ended up solo - my brothers both petered out. As such, it was a LOT of work, lemme tell ya! I still have 1 more roast, some breakfast/Italian sausage and some amazing jerky.

In 2018 I dropped my 2 sons from the NR moose point chase. One had 12 and one had 14. That was a tough decision. The F&G guy (Gary) I talked with while hunting up there told me that it was good that I drew that year "because 5 years from now I don't believe there will be any NR tags for this unit (23)."

Blessed to have been able to harvest 2 moose in my lifetime - 1 Utah (Morgan area) and 1 Wyoming (Bedford area).

Good luck in unit 24, Gunner!!!

Spent my WY NR moose points in 2018, unit 23. Had enough points to draw any of the Bighorn units but not the Snowy Range. My brothers committed to going with me if I went somewhere closer, so I went with 23. I spent quite a few days scouting both inside (north end to central) and outside (west side) of the Greys. I found one nice bull just barely into unit 24 coming in from Sheep Cr on the Greys.

I ended up hunting archery and then later rifle. The biggest bull of the trip was at 58 yards broadside on the archery opener. Couldn't get the right window and never saw it again. Took a 39"er on Sept 26, calling it in to 4 yards (rifle).

The hunt ended up solo - my brothers both petered out. As such, it was a LOT of work, lemme tell ya! I still have 1 more roast, some breakfast/Italian sausage and some amazing jerky.

In 2018 I dropped my 2 sons from the NR moose point chase. One had 12 and one had 14. That was a tough decision. The F&G guy (Gary) I talked with while hunting up there told me that it was good that I drew that year "because 5 years from now I don't believe there will be any NR tags for this unit (23)."

Blessed to have been able to harvest 2 moose in my lifetime - 1 Utah (Morgan area) and 1 Wyoming (Bedford area).

Great story, I really looking forward to the hunt. It’s a shame that your two sons won’t get that chance but completely understand. Maybe they will another hunt some day again thanks for the great story?

Had a great hunt, seen a lot of moose and chased a couple of monsters but couldn’t get to them. Finally got this guy on day 21

9343B199-5A92-4E01-B2E1-BD7455EAA61A.jpeg

1F3BF1D0-FA75-4593-B529-CD75F976521E.jpeg

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom