1911 pistol

S

shootinfool

I am looking into buying a 1911 style pistol of some sort. I have always wanted one and now am in a position to buy one. I dont want to spend 1200 on a one so I am looking for some opinions on a reasonably priced pistol that is good quality as well for a decent price. I would like it to be the full sized version or something close to it in the 4-5 inch barrel range. There seems to be many different versions out there, which is why I am asking for advise from those that own them on what would be the best bang for my buck, so to speak.

Find your local NWTF banquet. That's one of the guns they are auctioning off this year. I would think you could pick it up for aroun $600-$700. I know I'm going to try.

It's always an adventure!!!

Shootinfool, don't do it! It will just create a greater and insatiable obsession in your life! Run while your still free!!

or .... you could come over and join all us addicts.

If you are looking for a reasonable priced 1911 that is reliable and accurate, I would take a very close look at the new Ruger 1911. I have three 1911s and would buy the Ruger in a heart beat.
All the reports I have been hearing on the Ruger have been very good except for the fact they are hard to find in gun shops as they sell like hotcakes.

Go to the 1911 forum and you can see the feedback yourself and you might be surprised on some of the brands that are taking hits for lowering their quality control recently.

RELH

I am absolutely in love with my kimber custom II. It is very accurate and have never had a misfire or any trouble! When I buy my next 1911 it will be a kimber or a Christensen arm if I feel wealthy!

300wby, if you buy another Kimber, be sure to give it a very good inspection. Even to the point of basic parts disassembly to inspect for possible defects. Kimber is one that has gotten alot of complaints lately. They used to be noted for excellant quality control until recently.

Colt has picked up their quality control, but in the late 70's & 80's their quality control went out the door with shortcuts to lower cost.
RELH

LAST EDITED ON Mar-02-12 AT 03:57AM (MST)[p]I own a couple, One a Kimber crimson pro carry. It is a nice gun never had FTF or FTE it shots nice groups. If you conceal carry it is a little lighter and the laser is dead accurate.

I also have a Dan Wesson VBOB, This is a top of the line type pistol. Much nicer than a Kimber in parts and fit! It is more accurate than I am.

To stay on topic the Kimber is nice, I think most have a plastic main spring housing and lots of MIM parts.

The Dan Wesson is outstanding but out of price range.

You should take a hard look at Springfield. The loaded model is a good buy for your money. It has forged frame, and I think night sights lots of value in that model. Lifetime warranty, And from what I have read if you need it outstanding service. Kimber lots of grumbling out there.

Take a look at this web site, lots of info http://forums.1911forum.com/index.php

Buckshot

I personally have a Rock River and a S&W 1911. The old Rock River is a teriffic 1911 but pricey. S&W is a solid pistol except I don't like the fire pin block. The S&W pistol has been totally reliable with a variety of hand loads and factory and they are resonably priced Two of the patrolmen that work for me carry Taurus 1911 and Sig 1911. Both have proven to be reliable and functional during our qualifications. Neither have experienced any jams or malfunctions. The Taurus is a real bargain in 1911s. I like the look of the new Ruger. It has a A-1 frame, meaning it doesn't have a firing pin block. The price is definately right. One of my men has one on order.

The only major failures I have personally seen have come from Springfield and all were major frame fractures. Having said that, I own a Springfield and have had good luck with it. Kimber has been hard to beat for value over the years. I like 'em all. I think the general rule to be followed is you get what you pay for. Kimber's are good but an entry level Kimber is just not going to perform like an out of the box Colt Gold Cup and it would not be reasonable to expect it to.

Pick one you like that fits your budget, do some research on it, determine a manufacturer that will stand behind their product, and get the one that fits the bill.
http://www.monstermuleys.info/dcforum/User_files/4abc76ff29b26fc1.jpg

I have a Rock Island Arms 1911 that I really like. It isn't fancy, pretty much straight GI, but it goes boom every time. Pick up one of the models with an extended beavertail. It really is a fun gun.

When they came for the road hunters I was not one so I said nothing. When they came for the oppurtunists I was not one so I said nothing. When they came for the public land hunters I was not one so I said nothing. When they came for me there was no one left to say anything!

I have looked just about everywhere i can think of to find one of the new ruger 1911 pistols, mainly just to put hands on it and see how it feels. I have handled and like many of the kimber line but just about every sales person I have talked to said that their customer service sucks. I have to wonder if it is that widely known, are there alot of problems with their weapons. I have also seen many of the "off" brands out there and wonder how good these ones are. They seem to be about half the price and I know the old addage of "you get what you pay for". Still debating which one to get. I think though that i have narrowed it down to a few possible choices of either a kimber, ruger, sig, or maybe a desert eagle. Does anyone have any experience with the magnum research(desert eagle) brand of 1911. It seems to be a pretty good choice and I have found them for around 650 brand new. Its a tough choice. It is my first one and im sure not my last one so I kindof figure ill start off low and buy up over the years and maybe one day end up with a couple wilson combats or something. Thanks for the advise guys.

I'm not a big 1911 fan, but an article I just read in Handloader had an article on the Ruger and the new Remington. Surprisingly, the Remington performed very well. Actually the most accurate in the comparison. mtmuley

You need to realize the 1911 is an all steel pistol and a good one is going to cost roughly twice what a plastic frame gun like a Glock ect. will cost..

The 1911 design requires much more hand fitting/work and time to build a good one.

Its not a design that can be thrown together with cheap parts and minimal fitting and be expected to be reliable and trouble free. Even good 1911's need more maintenence and care to be reliable than more modern designs.

You would be wasting your money IMO to buy a $600 1911.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom