1974 Trailer Troubles

travishunter3006

Very Active Member
LAST EDITED ON May-21-13 AT 12:18PM (MST)[p]I bought a 1974 Wilderness camp trailer a few years ago for only $200. Lucky for my, after a few minor repairs everything works on it now.

The trouble that I'm having is locating the Fayette style rims for this old girl. Have any of you ever attempted a hub swap on this style of hub before? if so, is it possible or am I just stuck up a creek?

Does anyone know where I may be able to pick up this rim? I called state trailer supply but had to educate them on what I was talking about so needless to say, they don't carry them.

Lastly, has anyone attempted an axel swap (over axle) to 'lift' their trailer a little higher?

Thanks for any input in advance.

8983098.jpg

7737trailer1.jpg

7390trailer2.jpg

I can't offer much input on this axle, but would suggest you just consider a brand new axle. For about $250 you can have a brand new axle, mounted to gain ground clearance, and you can choose whatever tire size is convenient and will handle the load. I realize it will "double" your investment in the trailer, but a new axle may be cheap in the long run.
Bill

X 2 on the axle swap! They are pretty cheap and easy to do! Plus the added height it worth it.

"Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day!" -Harry S. Truman

LAST EDITED ON May-21-13 AT 01:56PM (MST)[p]Seems as though as I've seen that Wilderness somewhere before! Is there a decent vehicle graveyard anywhere near where you are that would have a replacement axle, like off a junked PU for example? At one time back in the late 70s I picked up the entire backend of a PU real cheap that had been scrapped out and made into a cargo trailer. That's what I used to haul all our gear on my first big game trip to Colorado in 1980. Good luck finding what you need and I hope to see that unit out in Wyoming again in October!

I would not swap out your axle right off the bat. But, I sure would compare the price of doing that compared to the price of the dif hubs.

You can probably buy an axle, with springs, and with dif hubs for fairly reasonable.

If you have a trailer place in your area, which you do...I'd hit them up first. If not, Murdoch's has all you'll ever need, or an Ag or Co-op type store will have it. Tractorsupply.com has axles.

Take your hub off, measure your axle, take a picture of it, or draw a sketch and take it in to the trailer place. They make dif hubs, and they will probably fit your axle. If your trailer place is worth a hoot, they can tell you. If your bearings are the same, the hubs will probably fit.

I'm a guessing that you can get hubs w/whatever bolk pattern that you want (say 6-bolt Chevy...hmmmm). You also could, if you got new axles.

Are your rims 14.5"?

You want to swap your axles UNDER the springs. I've done it, tis easy. Take it off and put it under the springs, tis a pretty easy job to do. Guess what you are going to find when you do it...your U-bolts are going to be rusted to smit. The bolts holding the springs ends are going to be highly worn. So, before you start, check em all You may look at them and decide that you want to change all of the bolts and springs. Those item together would possibly be cheaper that getting them separately.

If you put the axle under the springs, all you have to do is, more or less, un-bolt the axle, un-do one end of the springs
take it out, roll it over and bolt it back on. Your camber will probably be off. But, who cares? Your tires will probably rot away before they wear away.

You are going to need to know how wide are your spring perchs apart and how wide the hub faces are apart.

John 14:6

Better yet! don't roll the axle over, leave the axle in the same position, you can buy new perches at most any trailer supply store. These will allow you to put the springs on top of the axle and keep the camber the same. I've done it twice, once to a single axle and then a couple years later to a tandem axle wilderness trailer that I am still using for a hunting trailer.

We do a couple of them(axle flips) a week, so if you need information on how to do your spring seats feel free to call and talk(A&B hitches and Mufflers (760-244-3550) to one of my guys.We can also get those style of rims thru REDNECK TRAILER SUPPLIES.We carry most of the stuff you need for fixing Dump trailers,travel trailers,flatbed trailers,Gooseneck trailers/etc
We do all the hitches and muffler work you will every need.
If you need something just give us a call.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

But they don't make those round rocks with the hole in the middle no more.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

>I remember the good old days
>when you could do an
>axel swap for $25 parts
>and labor.:)
>
>Eel

Here Here.....But nobody uses wooden carts and oxen anymore Eel.

>I remember the good old days
>when you could do an
>axel swap for $25 parts
>and labor.:)
>
>Eel

Was that the wooden rim with the iron belt?

4abc76ff29b26fc1.jpg

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom