1st alaskan moose hunt. Advice.

smitty

Very Active Member
Well, I've booked my 1st drop hunt for Alaskan moose, set for fall of next year.

We will be getting flown into a lake/river and dropped off for a 12 day self-guided hunt. What I'm looking for is advice on necessary gear to take, food to take, etc.......Should I get the Helly Hansen raingear? Mt. House for every dinner? stuff like that. I've got some good gear, but if I need to get some "special Alaskan stuff" I'd like to know so that I can save-find-and buy it over the next year.

Thanks in advance for those that will give good advice. I'm sure 1911, chubby and that retard Titty will have something stupid to say.

Can't help you much on the gear part, but the Mtn. House meals would probably be the way to go for at least your main meals, including breakfasts. They even have a small dessert menu now.

What area and air taxi are you going with? What are the dates for your hunt?

Equipment:
1. Havalon knives
2. Wyoming saw
3. Good framed backpack
4. Helly Hansen Impertech rain gear
5. Lacross Ankle fit insulated hip boots
6. 4 season tent
7. Love Thunder Bull moose calling videos
8. Heavy weight game bags
9. Head net and bug dope
10. Layered merino wool and/or fleece clothing
11. Canoe paddle (Watch how Jim Shockey uses his)
12. Salt for cape
13. Skinning gloves
14. Water filter
15. Stoves - MSR Whisperlite, jet boil, or coleman propane (White gas is the easiest to purchase in rural Alaska)
16. Zero degree sleeping bag
17. Good book/bible for bad weather days

Food:
1. Mountain House - one per person per day
2. Instant oatmeal for breakfast
3. Powdered gatoraide, hot chocolate

Physical:
1. Take hikes starting with 30 lbs in your pack and gradually increase until you can carry 120 lbs.

Are you going to be hunting out of one of their camps that is already set up or are you going to be camping at different sites each night? If you will be hunting out of the same camp each night bring some real food. Trust me! If your going to be mobile MH meals are hard to beat. I have heard nothing but good about Helly Hansen rain gear. I personally used some older sitka model rain gear and got soaked. I'd take a good frame pack for hauling meat. I made up mini food packets for each day that included 1 salmon packet in sealed foil, peanut mms, star bursts, jerky,bluberry oatmeal, mini gatoraide packets. This would get me through till dinner and can all fit in a small zip lock bag.

The items listed below are all items that have been battled tested in AK sheep and moose country, and I wouldn't hesitate
to reccomend.

Allak tent by Hilleberg
Lowa hunter extreme boots
Mountain hardwear fleece jacket
Sitka mountain pants
Sitka 90% Jacket, Sitka vest
Mountain hardwear phantom sleeping bag
OR gators
Mystery ranch 6500 pack
Smartwool socks
Black Diamond trekking poles

Things I'd buy if I went again:
helly hansen or arterex rain gear
barneys frame pack
neo air pad by thermarest

Best of luck and post up them pics.

Hip boots or waders. When I hunted with Papa Bear, I was in ankle to knee deep water all day. Only a couple of dry spots, mainly beaver dams. I wore a pant style wader. I found these to be a better choice than hip boots since I could sit down and not have to worry about a wet butt. If you go this route bring several repair kits. I cut mine with a saw within the first hour and had several other tears as the days went on. At the end they were more repair kit than anything. Also if you can make the weight, a small camp chair. 12 days of sitting on the ground gets old.

Personally I think the HH raingear is a bit over the top if you already have a decent set. But then again I was never in a downpour.

TRY LIKE HELL NOT TO DROP A BULL MOOSE IN THE WATER, I LEARNED THE HARD WAY. TAKE SOME DEET !!! WHEN FLYING IN.....USE YOUR PILOTS KNOWLEDGE FOR ANIMAL LOCATION, PAID OFF IN SPADES FOR ME.................YD,

Four VERY important things:
1. A good quality water purifier( giardia is something you
NEVER want to contract, believe me.
2. A filled prescription for a good all purpose antibiotic.( saved a friends butt from a bad infection in AK one year).
3. Anything containing 100% DEET and a headnet. Leave the 25% stuff home. Alaska bugs eat it like candy.
4. The best raingear you can afford.
On a 12 day hunt you'll be using it a lot.
Good luck and stay safe--

congrats, you will have a great time! as for specific items, that may depend on where you will be. For instance when we go with papa bear, the ground is so wet you need a tarp to put under your tent so it doesn't soak through. pretty sure there are many other places like that throughout a lot of AK.

If bringing a rifle, try to bring a synthetic/stainless. If you can't now worries, just bring those individual gun cleaning wipes, one for each day. Bring a small 3 foot paddle for raking trees and as an antler display. Yes even with a rifle it is fun to get closer and have them put on a show for you.

Have everyone bring a camera with spare batteries. Take pictures of as many things as possible with multiple cameras. You'd get rather upset if one is damaged lost and it was the only one with pics.

We bring two sets of rain gear per person. It is dam wet where we go and if you get one wet, it will not dry out if you are still wearing it.
Hip boots are most likely a necessity.

I have a complete list of what we take. If you want pm me with your email and I can send it to you. It includes every single thing including meals. We use mountain house meals for supper, pancakes/oatmeal for breakfast and pop tarts, bars etc... for lunch. Dehydrated gatorade is good to bring, that way it covers up the water color so it doesn't look so bad when you drink it. Yes a filtering system is required but it don't remove color :)
Good luck and share pics/story when you get back.

Mntman
"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

Let me guess, you drive a 1 ton with oak trees for smoke stacks, 12" lift kit and 40" tires to pull a single place lawn mower trailer?

If You take your Bow SMUT?

DO NOT Gut Shoot the Bears up there like you did that Elk here in TARDville!:D

(((RAZZIN Ya Bud!)))

I'd definately take a Head Net!

Some Peter/Skeeter Repellant,JUDAS them things will eat you alive up there!

DO NOT Shoot a PISSCUTTER!:D:D:D

The Dew I had for Breakfast wasn't Bad so I had one more for Dessert!:D

I'm Warnin Ya SMUT!

Them Alaskan Skeeters will Slick this TARDville Approved Repellant off like it's Candy & Beg for more!

You'll know when You've got the Good Stuff!

It'll Burn the Hide Right off your Arms!

110% Deet is what you want!

You going to play grizzly man Smutty?

2311idiot.jpg

We did our first drop hunt last September and I can't wait to go back!!

Get a good set of rain gear! I had Kuiu and it worked awesome.
My brother had some gortex stuff that worked good initially but after about a day of rain he started to get wet. It rained for six days and nights straight.

Havalon knives and maybe some extra knives and a knife sharpener.

We both had a good set of chest waders with the removeable boots. Mine were just a set from cabelas that worked fine and my brother's was sims
Wyoming Saw
For our camp it was outfitted and they provided food but a good idea for us was he provided zip lock bags with pancake mix in and all we had to do was add water and fry them up. I also brought seasoning for moose steaks. We ate moose everyday since we were lucky enough to shoot one the first day we could hunt.

We got luck and my brother shot a 60 1/4" on the first hunting day and I shot mine on day 8 50 3/4"

Good luck!!

Thanks guys.

I told you there would be some completely useless information from a few idiots. And there sure was, even via text message. I'm gonna change my number I think.

Well SMUT!

Finally Got Me a RUGER ALASKAN!

454 Casull!

You know what they're made for,Right?

You wanna Borrow it?

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom