1st brown of the season

Pines_N_Tines

It's time to get the wheelers out to go thrashing the winter range vegetation and harass some game while your at it. I'm kidding of course. My neighbor was out with his metal detector looking for old coins and found this fresh brown four point. It still had blood on the pedicle. The pedicle was nornal (not broken). It was a fresh shed from that day (Nov 12). This is a Utah shed. It is not normal for the deer to drop in Nov. What do you guy's think may have caused the early drop? Disease? Just a Fluke?

395711_12_12.jpg

is it possible that there was a fight? i just found one last week but was busted right at the base from a fight.

It's possible but unlikely. The antler looked like a normal fresh shed. It was on the ground on the opposite side of a fence from the direction of the footprints. It looked liked the buck jumped the fence and the antler shed when he landed.

Found a brown deer shed a few years ago in NM on my sons mule-deer hunt in early November. It had fresh blood on it as well. I thought the deer had shed it due to the warm weather conditions.

Saw a buck in january two years ago that had grown out past his ears in the velvet...hadnt quite forked yet

We killed a buck a few years ago in a late season bow hunt in Wisconsin mid-December nice 10 pt. when me and my freind went to drag him by the rack both sides popped off he had a rifle shot wound from about a month before and looked a little sick so i think that is what was the cause there.

Not all deer are the same genetically. There are many variations but not all variations are spread to the next generation, mostly due to them dieing from the variation of genetics. This is likely a buck that is just ahead by a couple of months. Probably didn't pass his genes on.

A common one that people see are where the fawns are born out of the normal 2 cycles each fall. When they are born too early or too late nature runs it course and takes them out not allowing them to pass on their genes of being bred out of the normal window.
However with that being said, here in colorado springs you can find fawns that are born outside of the normal window and survive due to the mild conditions and no predators in town. It's actually sad because in reality they are just weakening the mule deer genetics in the local area...

Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

Let me guess, you drive a 1 ton with oak trees for smoke stacks, 12" lift kit and 40" tires to pull a single place lawn mower trailer?

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom