1ST DIY Bull Calif_Mike shout out

JoeATCA

I hunted unit 71 while tagging along (4th time) with Calif Mike and his dad Marvin and buddy Keith.The weather was warm and no elk were spotted through day 6 of the 3rd elk OTC season. That afternoon I told Mike that my body was hurting and if I didn't see something that night I was leaving gin the AM. I watched a random meadow edge and saw a herd of cows filtering by over the course of half an hour. My shooting lane was through an aspen thicket and I watched hoping a bull would show. It finally did (while I wasn't paying attention) and was looking right at me. I assume the sun setting behind me reflected off my gun or glasses. When he turned I took the shot through a 24" window through the aspens and hit him too far back and high in the gut. Hedropped out off sight and I slowly gathered ny things and walked over. Turns out he was in a slight depression between us and was still standing,he walked away into some timber and I took another two shots only one of which conneted. He went down and made one last effort to stand when I was about 10 yds aaway, one last shot.

I attempted to roll him over and gut him but had to stop after f'ing up my shoulder. I think I have a torn rotator cuff in my shoulder as now, three weeks later, I can barely lift my right arm above my head. So I new I was in trouble and MIke and Kevin can to the rescue. They met me at the truck and we went up finished gutting and quartering him out. They did about 90 % of the work as my right arm was useless.

Mike, Kevin - I owe you guys:) dinner at La Morenita in Turlock for starters.

1ST DIY Bull Calif_Mike shout out - photo

8905elk.jpg

RE: 1ST DIY Bull Calif_Mike shout out - photo

Great story and also great to here about people helping each other out. Congrats.

Congrats on yer bull and to good friends! Hope yer shoulder heals!

Congrats on the Bull and hope that you get well too. I met Mike and his dad in COLO back in 2008, great father and son trio for sure.

Brian
http://i44.tinypic.com/es7x8z.jpg[/IMG]

Congrats on your bull Joe. I was starting to wonder if you made it home alive. Hey if we hadn't helped you with your bull we wouldn't have seen anything during the season!

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom