1st rifle UNIT 76

G

GAlineman

This Ga boy is ready a Colorado Elk in unit 76. Leaving out for a 26 hour drive on Friday Oct 2. It took me 11 years to draw this unit/hunt, I am DYI, no guide so any thought or suggestions would be much appreciated thanks!

I was in the same boat for a DIY archery Bull tag in 76. I hiked in a few miles and got a bull at 25 yards. There seemed to be a good number of elk in the area, but elk move around. It has been snowing in the high country these last few days so the elk should slowly start to drop. I hunted the area around Rio Grande Res. to the west in the drainages. With a rifle tag, you shouldn't have a problem filling that. Good luck! Bring your cold weather gear.

Thanks for that little piece of info I will give it a look, I am goin to be out there 7 days before the season opens so hopefully I can find some elk.

LAST EDITED ON Sep-25-09 AT 11:39AM (MST)[p]IF YOU HAVE A MINUTE I LIKE TO TALK TO YOU ABOUT YOUR HUNT. WE ARE PALNNING TO GO UP LOST CREEK - WONDERING IF YOU HAVE ANY INFO?
THANKS,

not so sure where I will be headin until I get out there and start scouting. I hope I can find some nice elk in 7 days before the season

I am leaving next week to. I just look at the maps and wonder where to start. I know my mules will be glad when this is over they are already tired of me. Has any body hunted the ute creek drainages????

I have hunted 2 times in 76. As a non resident first time was with just 3 points. Got a 6x6. Wife hunted one time also. So know the area . My hunting buddy go in 1st season this year and I is bringing horses. Never done that before. Will be a fun hunt for him.

This thread is over 10 years old. So don't know how relevant any of this info is. There has been a few large fires in the unit sense 09.

Haha
I’m heading out Oct 11th after 17 years 1st rifle
This long I want to make best of it and will be going with an outfitter

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom