1st Scouting Trip on my D-Ram Tag.

PleaseDear

Long Time Member
I just got home from the Beaver Dam Unit on my Desert Ram tag.

I decided to come in from Littlefield, Az, (unit 13b in Az.) and travel north on old hywy 91 thru my unit until arriving at my Airbnb in Kayenta, east of St. George.

Lots of different type of terrain and vegetation in this farthest north part of the Mohave Desert.

Robb
IMG_9832.jpg

IMG_9832.jpg

IMG_9835.jpg

IMG_9834.jpg

I got everything ready for the morning scouting, maps, daypack, water bottle ect.

OnxMaps, offline, loaded on my iPhone and iPad.

I'm heading into some rough country on the first morning hiking/scouting, the Pass sign....

More to follow, I've got to get my hike in, hit Home Depot, home shave/shower and make 1000 Mass today.

Mayana,

Robb

IMG_9859.jpg

IMG_9979.jpg

IMG_9854.jpg

Hey PD!

I Think You're Getting Close!

If You're Not Quite Sure?

Bag The Airbnb & Throw a Cot Out!

If It's So Hot at Night You Can't Even Think of Sleeping!

If The Bats Are Swarming You!

If The Gnats Look Like Clouds!

If The Ground Turns Black Just Before Dark From Tarantula's!

If There's Rattlers Everywhere!

If The Scorpions are Abundant!

If The Lizards Are Packing Canteens!

You're Getting Close!:D

Yeah, lbh, gave me a reminder of the desert gnats! So, I broke out my lightweight bug gear.

I can go long, and I can tuck it inside my front zipper, or it can go high and just cover my face and eyes.

It has been popular with my friends that hunt Ak. and all those bugs.

OfCourse, I had my iced neck wrap to help with the heat.

When ya leave for a trailhead by 0530 and it is already 93, ya know it's gonna be hot by 0900.

Robb

IMG_9920.jpg

IMG_9908.jpg

IMG_9942.jpg

The burn area up and over Hell Hole Pass always attracts wildlife with the fresh growth of vegetation.

Hiking in the early morning horizon to the east wasn't fun as the night bats where still buzzing around, so I started a little later the next few mornings.

IMG_9850.jpg

IMG_9853.jpg

IMG_9851.jpg

It was kinda fun finding all these new places to hike and scout/glass with names like Horse Canyon, Indian Wash, Jackson Springs or Pahcoon Flats and of course the Beaver Dam wash.

Kudos to Jason and Theresa out of the Cedar City DWR office as being very helpful, polite and willing to share knowledge.

It took me 1 hour and a 1/2 to go 17 miles!
Those Black eared 'Kamikaze' Jackrabbits' run crazy in the dark.

Once out to the north end of the Beaver Dam Mnts. the terrain was better for spot-n-stalk with my recurve come hunting season.

IMG_9861.jpg

IMG_9862.jpg

IMG_9863.jpg

I was way out there one morning and decided to take a 2-track splinter road to shortcut to my desired destination.

On 1 map it showed as an Intermittent creek (seasonal) and on my Onxpmaps it showed as a 2-track so I figured being mid-July any creek would be all dried up.

Or not!

I come around a tight switchback and hello Intermittent Creek.

I had a tight turnaround of back and forth, but I made it back out and never did get to finish my Short-cut.

IMG_9864.jpg

IMG_9866.jpg

I'm out there this time of summer because it is the Pre-Rut and they should start rutting/breeding into the next 2-3 weeks.

Personally, with this heat, I doubt I'd much desire to slap some ewe azzz...But I'm not a sheep.

It was nice to get back to Sheep Camp and take a dip in the pool.

In the future I'm selling my JP Wrangler and my JP Gladiator and getting a JP Gladiator EV-Hybrid and this Airbnb has as an EV-plug in already installed.

I'll wrap it up in the morning, gots-ta-go, it's already 0410 and a new day.

Robb

IMG_9856.jpg

IMG_9984.jpg

IMG_9858.jpg

I'm out there this time of summer because it is the Pre-Rut and they should start rutting/breeding into the next 2-3 weeks.

Personally, with this heat, I doubt I'd much desire to slap some ewe azzz...But I'm not a sheep.

It was nice to get back to Sheep Camp and take a dip in the pool.

In the future I'm selling my JP Wrangler and my JP Gladiator and getting a JP Gladiator EV-Hybrid and this Airbnb has as an EV-plug in already installed.
I Don't Think A HYBRID Would Be A Bad Way To Go!

But The Totally Electric Vehicles Are Gonna Get You In a Bind!

I Talked To A Guy That Had An E-Pick-Up Here A While Back!

Showed Me He Had It All Figured Out!

He Had A Generator Mounted In The Back With a Maze Of Wiring!

I Asked Him?

Why Didn't You Just Buy a Hybrid?

Kinda Reminded Me Of The Funny With The Guy With The TESLA Pulling a Trailer With a Generator on it & Wires connecting To Each Other!:D

I'll wrap it up in the morning, gots-ta-go, it's already 0410 and a new day.

Robb

View attachment 116468

View attachment 116469

View attachment 116470

A quick correction, Kayenta is West of St. George not east and right in my unit.

I tried to get a pic of a Roadrunner bird but man, they would stop and then be gone-ya so fast!

I know I talk up Toyo tires, but I am very happy with the performance and no flats thru all the rocky beat-up roads and 2-tracks I travelled over.

I talked with Doyle (Mossback) about going guided as I am torn between doing my prolly last OIL tag Solo DIY vs going guided with a Legend.

I always have like the guy, 'Bromance" haha or Tommie, Tommie Brady OMG'sh.

I'll do my 2nd scouting trip in late September. Actual hunt dates are late October thru X-mas eve.

I'm up on the Pahvant & Fishlake later this month doing another Photo/Scouting trip for a guy that has the Muzzy LE Fishlake Bull and another fella with a 1st Season rifle Bull on the Pahvant.

Robb

IMG_9982.jpg

IMG_7862.jpg

Was she at the pool at the Airbnb??. If camping in comfort is called glamping, what do you call hunting in style?
Anyways, keep it coming. Looking forward to the whole story.

Robb I gotta say you have to be one of the biggest walking contradictions I've ever come across.....Wear BYU attire, but post nearly naked women. Post naked women but have a thing for Doyle. Talk like Tupac, but are as white as Mr. Rodgers. Going to kill your sheep with a homemade stick bow, but practice with your rifles.....I can't keep up haha! Good luck out there whoever you are!

Looks like you've been hanging out in my neck of the woods. Don't forget to check out Sun River ! I think you will fit right in. Beside a winter or two ago the sheep showed up in everyone yards there. Then you need to go to Appliance Wholesalers and see Jesse. Good luck on your hunt you lucky devil !

True that BigJ.

My buddy Mark use to own the Supersonic carwash places up here, sold 'em and retired down there.

He says it would be an easy hunt but could turn into a big headache after a harvest as all those people act like the sheep are their pets and even though they go on public ground, lots of hikers ect.

So instead of doing that area, Pine Valley Virgin River unit, I did Pine Valley Beaver Dam unit. My life is pretty much perfect, and I don't think I have ever been happier, so I couldn't put myself in a position to have a headache mess and that's why.

When in conversation with Doyle, Jesse's name did come up. Thanks

Doyle's price'$ really are not that bad considering.

Robb

True that BigJ.

My buddy Mark use to own the Supersonic carwash places up here, sold 'em and retired down there.

He says it would be an easy hunt but could turn into a big headache after a harvest as all those people act like the sheep are their pets and even though they go on public ground, lots of hikers ect.

So instead of doing that area, Pine Valley Virgin River unit, I did Pine Valley Beaver Dam unit. My life is pretty much perfect, and I don't think I have ever been happier, so I couldn't put myself in a position to have a headache mess and that's why.

When in conversation with Doyle, Jesse's name did come up. Thanks

Doyle's price'$ really are not that bad considering.

Robb
I found down here when you higher Doyle you get Jesse anyway.' Randy Johnson usually tags along. Those guys are all sheep nuts. My backyard is the river. So I leave on a wheeler of some sort and head to that country from my backyard. When you where here last time I headed for the high country of Fish lake to cool off. Even Zeke was up there ! He is sheep nuts to. :) Its a expensive addiction i have been fighting to stay away from.

I found down here when you higher Doyle you get Jesse anyway.' Randy Johnson usually tags along. Those guys are all sheep nuts. My backyard is the river. So I leave on a wheeler of some sort and head to that country from my backyard. When you where here last time I headed for the high country of Fish lake to cool off. Even Zeke was up there ! He is sheep nuts to. :) Its a expensive addiction i have been fighting to stay away from.
@Zeke eats sheep nuts.....true story

Thanks Jason

I received my Data Packet yesterday. Get the blood ect...

I realize there are plenty of other D-Ram tag holders, different units no doubt, this is a pretty dang informative Scoring link.

Plus, I made my Airbnb resrv. for scouting trip #2 in September.

Enjoy,

Robb

IMG_9991.jpg

That packet must be a relatively new thing. I haven't seen them sent to hunters before, but I really like the idea of gathering as much info as possible on any animal, especially sheep.
My BC guide almost had to do an autopsy on my Stone ram for a BC study, but I'm sure it's helpful in management.
I also agree that Jay's Scoring info is great for anyone trying to judge sheep.
Exciting times Robb.
Love the updates.

A quick update-------->

I'm shooting quite well most every day we aren't getting drowned by rain!

Doing a lot of visualization of situations ect.

The rut is over and come late October into December 24th, the last day to hunt I anticipate the Rams to be grouped up bachelor herds with not many ewes/lambs hangin; around.

So, I have my targets similar in being grouped and I am shooting as if I get the sneak in to under 25--27 yards with the recurve.

I'm down to 3-4 seconds from drawing, instinctive Pick-a-$pot and releasing. Shooting gloved Fingers of course.

I figure, they see me, I've got a few precious seconds to get my arrow off before they bolt and run off, being that close.

Like I have stated before, I've got a good amount of experience/knowledge with Rocky Rams (see my link) but not so much on Desert Rams.

They are smaller and almost like an Antelope Buck size.

I've been studying my maps as to the Radio Collared ewes/Rams as they are scattered around the unit with a bigger count concentration in a 5 mile by 5 mile/25 square mile area. Certainly Not a day hunt!!

I'm liking the smaller more remote areas with springs ect.

Exciting for sure.

Robb

Link

150--165 score size Rocky Rams.

IMG_0009.jpg

Last edited:
Very excited for you Robb and cannot wait for the hunt report. I also look forward to reading about your scouting adventures.

Of all the hunts I’ve ever been on, and I have been on a lot of them, my desert sheep was by far the greatest hunt that I’ve been on.

Hope you kill a giant!

You are dedicated Robb(in hood)
A Desert Ram with an instinctive recurve would be a feat!
I wish you the best and love the updates.
Please continue to keep us in the loop.

Hey Thanks

I'm getting everything done so I can have a lot of free time for my fall hunts.

All my vehicles are waxed, and I got my RZR2 waxed yesterday.

I bought it off the Showroom floor in 2017 with 8 miles on it and I have 331 miles on it now.

I never use it for hunting, maybe a scouting trip or 2 and mostly for snowplowing after the City snowplows come thru and bury the driveway entrance.

It's fun for date rides with lady friends though.

I might just sell it.

Robb

IMG_0013.jpg

Hey Thanks

I'm getting everything done so I can have a lot of free time for my fall hunts.

All my vehicles are waxed, and I got my RZR2 waxed yesterday.

I bought it off the Showroom floor in 2017 with 8 miles on it and I have 331 miles on it now.

I never use it for hunting, maybe a scouting trip or 2 and mostly for snowplowing after the City snowplows come thru and bury the driveway entrance.

It's fun for date rides with lady friends though.

I might just sell it.

Robb

View attachment 119221
Sweet ride! Love the dash ornaments.

Thanks

I've been axed if I'm bow only on this tag and to be honest with y'all, I'll have my 7mag in Sheep Camp but not with me in the field.

If/once I decide my bow ego is not going to get me my OIL Ram, next morning the 7mag-a-go-go is my plan.

Robb

Yeah, new month, new Avatar---thanks b-54.

I just got back from a week down on the Beaver Dam and it was so much cooler vs my trip in late July.

Instead of 116/93 high/low, more like mid-90's/60's, still hot but at least ya can breath!

I sure am learning a lot about the sheep within my unit and I'm glassing up Class III, Class IV, and Class V Rams.

I pretty much, park and just bushwack out as there really aren't any Trailhead's for hiking way out there, fine by me.

I like getting between two big ridges and glassing, hiking up till I crest and then pick one ridgeline and come back down that way as I can see a vast area to glass.

Robb

IMG_0145.jpg

ONce I got past the very few and far between private property ranch ground the road Dead Ends because of Flash Flood wash outs and rock/boulder slides.

I just park and take off as I figure in a distance the old road will show back up?

Someone on a quad must have thought the same thing as I did come across1 quad track as I hiked along.

IMG_0033.jpg

The last day I was getting kinda tired and certainly sore!

Spent the better part of the morning in this vast area with a rolling valley, micro draws and big mountains.

Pretty neat and remote.

I had a young Bobcat come running out of the brush chasing a lizard and it never did see me but disappear into the brush in pursuit of that lil' lizard, I did get a pic of its track though.

I didn't take long for the sun to heat up fast.

IMG_0075.jpg

IMG_0178.jpg

IMG_0179.jpg

IMG_0187.jpg

Thanks for sharing your full experience with us Robb - sending you good vibes to get it done with the 'ol recurve!

Also,great job repping the Y out in the desert scouting sheep. ;) Go Cougs!! 4-1 baby. Pretty wild year so far with many games that could have swung either way. Luckily the majority have ended in a W!

Hey thanks

That's what I was thinking lbh, an old reservoir on the maps and the sign but turned into a water catch?

Certainly, enjoyable seeing nice Rams but not many ewes/lambs though?

Not sure where they will be, come my hunt dates.....

Quick turn around this week, leaving Thursday for Ut. Any Bull elk hunting for a week.

Gotta luv the fall.

Robb

My hunt starts in the morning/Saturday, but I'm not going for the opening 10 days. That gives the others 2 weekends too.

I just don't want to deal with 5 other hunters with the same tag as I am bow/Recurve hunting, and I just don't want to put myself in a situation of someone shooting their rifle over my head!

I'm thinking 3 of the other tag holders will be guided, and hopefully done quickly ??

I've got almost everything ready to roll out though.

My packets that arrived for Nostril swabbing, blood sample tube and the teeff packet for 2 bottom ones.

I also got a project or 2 completed too.

I got 2 more tanned hides up on the area I hang them, my BC Fisher and my backyard Racoon, using a Have-a-Heart trap.

I used this style of Pack for the display, but it is full of hides and ya really can't see it....

Robb

IMG_0383.jpg

IMG_9736.jpg

IMG_1777.jpg

Last edited:
I'm already a Life Member of the Wild Sheep Foundation but I also upgraded to Summit Life Member after drawing this D-Ram tag.

I just feel I am helping Put Sheep on the Mountain for future lucky tag holders.

A nice lil' Swag bag of stuff comes with the upgrade.

Maddie hand wrote a very pleasant thank you message to me.

IMG_0358.jpg

IMG_0359.jpg

IMG_0360.jpg

I'm already a Life Member of the Wild Sheep Foundation but I also upgraded to Summit Life Member after drawing this D-Ram tag.

I just feel I am helping Put Sheep on the Mountain for future lucky tag holders.

A nice lil' Swag bag of stuff comes with the upgrade.

Maddie hand wrote a very pleasant thank you message to me.

View attachment 124155

View attachment 124156

View attachment 124157
Another great report Robb.
I like your style waiting for the dust to settle before jumping in.
I did the same thing on my Desert Sheep hunt but I only sat out the first 4 days. By the time I got there, I was pretty much by myself. For sure it will help your "stick n string quest".

In my mind, a once in a lifetime hunt should never be held under a Circus Tent, even if the best animals bite the dust ahead of your arrival.
I'm pumped for you man.
Best of luck and keep us posted.

I'm a bachelor so when I'm gone, I have some catching up to do here at home on basic responsibilities after I get back from each trip.

This fall, I'm twice to Wyo cow elk, Any Bull here, Fillmore/Pahvant rifle buck, not counting scouting trips ect.

I have a full and fun life, now it's Ram time thru Dec. 24th.

I'm content,

Robb

Escalante safaris Mr Brad turner
just killed a great ram on that unit he is one awesome sheep guide!

Brad certainty has been apart of many great rams over the years but he's also burned down more bridges and rubbed more people wrong than anyone in the industry. Respect his acumen but struggle with the personality and ethics. It does appear that credit is due to him however for the ram he helped pull of that unit this year though, could arguably be the unit's best. Hopeful the division realizes they've gotten way over their skis with tag numbers on the unit and cuts them back next year.

Well, let me preface this post with the fact that I am going back down to hunt in mid-December and will stay until the end of my tag season December 24th if need be.

So, no Dead Head coming on this post.

I pre-make some eats for a few days on my hunt, lots of ruffage and good clean eats right there.

The Weather was going to be perfect for the next 10 days of my hunt, 8 actual days of hunting, 1 day travel down, 1 day travel home, ya know.

Even though I was bow hunting for the first 5 days, I didn't know if there were any tag holders still hunting so I Blazed up a bit just for safety.

Robb

IMG_0386.jpg

IMG_0387.jpg

IMG_0419.jpg

Thanks to some Gen Rifle deer hunters here on M&M, Thanks you guys, I got some intel of places Rams had been sighted so I had scouted those area's during my 2 early scouting trips.

I went into Dodge Springs area and hunted into the Dog Pass Wilderness

Getting so close to Rams, 35 yards, but not close enough, 25 yards for my Recurve bow shot max distance, was kinda frustrating but exciting too.

I was surprised at the number of deer, no doubt a pain in the azz when I was slow stalking Rams and blow bedded deer out! I did see a couple dang nice bucks that made it thru all the deer hunts.

IMG_0391.jpg

IMG_0425.jpg

IMG_0427.jpg

Last edited:
After 3 days in the Dog Pass Wilderness, I moved to bow hunt a different area from my previous 2 scouting trips so up and over Hell Hole Pass down into Indian Springs area for a day and then over into Jacobs Wash, Beaver Dam Wash NCA for day 5 bow hunting.

My body is starting to feel the ruggedness of the hunt after 5 days for sure.

IMG_9854.jpg

IMG_0428.jpg

IMG_0430.jpg

The GF was visiting her dad in Cedar City for the Veterans Day wknd, so she dropped down to visit me and for some much need reboot my energy for the next 3 days hunting as I was pulling out the T/C 7 mag.

She will kick my azz for posting a pic.....

No clue how they hang this flag!

I'm very happy with my JP Gladiator and it's fuel economy.

I'll have more manyana, I'm still playing catch-up after being gone.

Robb

IMG_0433.jpg

IMG_9705.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I did something different this year on my hunting backpack, I switched to a Fanny Pack.

All my clean kit items and butcher gloves of course, fire started, small first aid stuff with Blood Stop along with my Thermacell.

So instead of lugging a 35 lbs backpack around all day with 'stuff' I never used for years.......

I'm cruising with just 10.13 lbs now.

IMG_0448.jpg

IMG_0450.jpg

IMG_0446.jpg

Day 6 I went into this basin just below West Mnt. Peak. I had scouted it earlier in the year and I liked how it had all 3 of the essentials, feed, thick bedding areas and water.

I had scouted it from above along the ridgeline but once I got into it hunting, I was kinda glad I didn't harvest as it was nothing but shale, thick brush/trees/cliffs!

Coming out I glassed 3 ewes, a young Ram and one hell of a dandy big Ram.

Talk about an energy booster! after a grueling 4.84 miles in and out of the basin.

As I broke out of the trees the ewes had locked in on me so I got set-up and it was 247 yards.

When they blow out, they blow out!

I spent the rest of the day trying to turn him up but no go.

I spent the next 2 days before my leave for home day, and I never did see any of them nor Him, damn the luck.

I went up and over into new big canyons and all the effort.

Going 'UP" was a good effort but coming down the super steep was taking it's toll on my quads/knees no doubt.

I actually did 1 Ibruprophen-800 1 day.

IMG_0435.jpg

Last edited:
Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom