1st shot, clean gun high?

DonVathome

Very Active Member
Do you typically find when you gun is clean the first shot is slightly off of the rest? If so high? low? Right?

Thanks!

Never had that problem with a smokeless powered rifle. Muzzleloader yes it likes the barrel dirty.

?If men were angels, no government would be
necessary.? John Adams

on many guns yes. I just leave it dirty and clean it only now and then. definitely leave it dirty if going hunting.

Most of my rifles all take 1-2 shots to settle in when I ran a copper solvent thru them. Not so much with just a powder solvent cleaning.

Out of a clean barrel, a lot of my guns, shoot the first one an inch higher than the rest. I normally shoot a long range gong with the first one and then proceed to shoot paper. I then don't clean the barrel until after the season.

Most people way over clean their barrels.
Let your rifle tell you how many shots through it before it needs cleaning. I think most would be surprised.

Most factory barrels take a few rounds to fill in the minor imperfections. I always hunt with a fouled barrel. My custom 270wsm hasn't seen a cleaning in at least 100 rounds and still shoots .5moa.

I will chime in here on the not cleaning the rifle as long as you are not shooting corrosive ammo (don't buy that crap), its okay to not clean the rifle between the sighting in and hunt. I personally do this all the time, just because I do not see a need to scrub that darn thing then get it dirty the next week. Now I still do not see a difference between a dirty barrel or clean barrel in my two main rifles. These are lapped barrels so that could be the difference maker who knows. As for my other rifles I have not shot them enough to tell a difference but if your rifle likes a dirty barrel leave it dirty until after the hunts over.

?If men were angels, no government would be
necessary.? John Adams

What is corrosive ammo?

Wow I do WAY over clean my gun! Good info, to those who said first 1-2 shots are off, is it typically high?

I have found that most guns need a "fouling" shot fired through them after cleaning to coat the barrel and get them back to where they were when they were sighted in. I am also told that you should use the same bullets to foul your barrel as you are shooting. Copper vs Lead makes a difference, etc.
I always fire at least one shot and sometimes 2 or 3 after cleaning to get my guns back to zero. Then like the other posts, I clean them when the season is over.

My rifles typically like a fowler or 2 after a good cleaning.

I'm kind of anal and clean mine more than I probably should.

The problem is residual solvent/cleaner in your barrel after your cleaning. Its very tough to get a barrel completely dry after cleaning your barrel, so there is usually still a little in there for your first shot.

That first shot goes through, and between the pressure passing through the barrel, the bullet, and the heat associated with a shot, it usually blows out or burns off residual moisture left from a cleaning.

I have run patch after patch through a barrel after cleaning and my first shot will be right with everything else. If I take the same gun and not really work to get that residual stuff out of the barrel, then my first shot will be off a little.

So if you clean your gun between sighting in and hunting, make sure you run one through it before you head out.

www.muleybulloutfitters.com

I never take a clean barrel on opening day. I had an episode one year... unloaded my rifle and the cow elk just stood there never even flinched. So I reloaded, took a breath, held right where I needed to and it was a one shot deal. Now I always fowl my barrel.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom