1st Time Bow Elk hunt/Granite OR

ORsouthpaw

We'll after yet another year of not getting a rifle tag for elk. We have decided to bow hunt for them. I have been shooting for the last 5 years so I'm confident in my shooting skills but I have never actually bow hunted for elk.

My question is what advice can you give me about bow hunting elk in general. What calls, scents or tactics or anything else? I've rifle hunted for a long time so I know I can be stealthy in the woods but I don't about all the other aspects of it.

My set up is a PSE Avenger, shooting Carbon Force arrows at 57lbs with 100gr NAP Thunderheads. My confortable range is 40 yards and in. We'll be hunting in the Umatilla NF near Granite, OR

Thanks
ORSouthpaw

I say watch calling to much ... oregon can get crowded and everybody wants to call in the big one( just like in the videos)may I ask what unit?

We'll be staying in the eastern part of Desolation so we most likley will be bouncing between that and Starkey. I'm not too worried about the big one. I'll take any legal animal so if I get a chance at juicy cow I'm not to proud to take her. Don't get me wrong though given the chance, a nice bull would be a dream come true.

I hunt around that area every year and have learned, that in my spot anyway, calling is worthless. Unless I don't know how to call or something the elk either run the other way or pay no attention. I had a group of cows about 100 yards away in the timber walk by while I was sitting on a rock, wind was good, didn't know I was there. Cow called and they didn't stop or look in my direction, they just slowly kept walking. I have just tried learning the habits of elk in a small area and slowly stalking areas they move through or trying ambushes. Which have worked to an extent, I have had really close encounters but either no shots or missed shots. I think that area is hard to hunt because it gets hit so hard. Those elk are very smart and although i've heard of people calling in elk over there, I think it's rare. Oh and get as far off the roads as you can, good luck.

I would second the admonition to WATCH YOUR WIND!! Elk have decent eyesight, but they have incredible noses!!! Listen for them to call and work your way to them slowly -- you will smell them when you get close enough and you want to move ever so slowly.

One more thing

Once you chase those Bulls around with a stick and an arrow, you'll never go back to the rifle!!!!

RE: One more thing

n2chukar, that's what I keep hearing. I'm sure if I actually get one I'll be converted for life. Even now when rifle hunting I enjoy getting close more then anything else. Even if I don't bag a elk if I can get within 20 yards I'll feel sucessful.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom