1st vs. 2nd vs. 3rd elk rifle

DonVathome

Very Active Member
1st vs. 2nd vs. 3rd elk rifle

How much better are the early rifle hunts? In NM (and here in Ohio for deer) after a few days of gun hunting game is scarce. I would think that after the first rifle hunt elk are very spooky and more nocturnal. Also what are the chances weather will make getting into good area impossible? By getting in I mean driving roads to remote areas and hiking or packing away from roads.

I know this is a broad questions but give me your insights for if the first hunt is a lot better. This goes for OTC and LE areas.

Thanks

I hunted first rifle for elk last year and this year. Didn't see a single elk either time. Last year hunted the second season for deer in the same unit, saw elk. This year hunted 3rd season for deer in the same unit, saw elk.

It's Bush's fault!!!

More likely weather will determine which season. And unfortunately you can't determine weather. I prefere 4th season because usually weather will have moved some animals down most years. Otherwise it would be first season.

beanMan

combination of all previously stated, weather, location(what type of elevation/habitat, and hunt presure which can not only move animals but obviously can thin them out.
The area I hunt is definately a 1st season area but other places in my zone are 4th season only... So you just have to learn the zone you want to hunt, determine where the elk will be at the different times of the fall. You can do a tremoundous amount of learning the zone just on maps, that is if you know the elk habits?

Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

I like the 3rd season in the area I hunt with family.
this year we saw 3 other hunters the whole season.
Makes it nice when your the only one in the woods.We know the area well and know where the elk bed and feed so we will get into elk before the season ends.
And the deer travel more during the day instead of getting into a night time routine.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom