2 and 3/8 inch group

mtmuley

Long Time Member
Yesterday while checking some drops and learning about ballistics, I shot a 2 and 3/8 center to center 3 shot group with the 190 Berger VLD in my .300 RUM. At 822 yards. I just damn near fell over. While they obviously shoot well, what can I expect with a closer range shot on an antelope, say 150 or 200 yards? I'm really leery of using them as I expect a ton of damage at close range. Anybody have experience? mtmuley

Nothing wrong with that at all! Do you have a muzzle brake on your rifle and or a aftermarket recil pad to reduce recoil? What is the set up your shooting?

No muzzle brake. Sims Limbsaver. Rifle is a BDL SS in a Bell & Carlson Alaskan, trigger at 3 lbs. Leupold 4-12 AO and a CDS marked in MOA. Pretty happy with the CDS. The 200 grain Accubond shoots just as well, but I thought I'd give the Bergers a whirl on an antelope hunt. Just kinda concerned about up close damage. mtmuley

I have the rmef edition,stainless,zeiss conquest 3-9,no add ons and last group at 100yds.,3 shots within a quarter with the factory 200 gr.noslers..Hate to change anything!Any recoil pads out there better than others?

The Sims works well. I also have a couple DeCelerators on other rifles. Your rifle may have a Sims. Remingtons R3 is a Sims I believe. I had to change stocks because the factory Tupperware cracked in front of the forward action screw. mtmuley

I wouldn't expect it to fragment. That is still a big bullet and not nearly as fragile as you expect. My brother shoots those out of his 300 win mag and he put holes in my 1/2" steel plate at 600 yards. The barnes 180's just splatter on the plate. That bullet will penetrate an antelope completely at any range. It will certainly do some damage, but on something as small as an antelope I just don't see it fragmenting.

Not the best comparison, but I put a 130 grain VLD all the way throught the lungs of a whitetail at 75 yards (same results as virtually any 130 grain 270 bullet).

Antelope aren't tough at all, should go through completely. I've seen a VLD hit an Elk in the neck at 75 yards and only penetrate half way through, but an Elk neck is tougher than 7 antelope lined up...

2a0fcsk.gif

I'm going up to where I shoot in the morning and put the VLD through drop checks from 100 to 800. Then I can make a chart and possibly use it for goats. mtmuley

When you shoot long range do you shoot off a bench with bags or prone or???? Never shot extreme ranges but sounds interesting.

I made a bench that I use when I check my loads for drops and shoot groups. I shoot milk jugs from the prone position off my pack and use my shooting sticks too. mtmuley

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom