2-way radio question

LouieT

I am looking at getting a pair of two way radios and can't decide between Motorola or Cobra. I am looking at the 35 mile range in each brand, which I know won't reach that far. Anyone have experience with either brand. I am leaning towards the Cobra models.

You might want to look at the Garmin. They are more money but they have a gps unit that lets you watch the movement of other hunters with the same unit. Almost every time I go out hunting with someone else I end up wondering where they are at, at some point in time. This would be very helpful in working areas for each other. It would also help keep track of someone that might not be familiar with an area. I don't have it yet, but I'm hoping to get a set before this year's hunts start. If anyone has a Garmin, I hope you with check in and let us know how they work.

After going through several sets of radios, I finally found a good one last year.... Midland GXT. It has so many cool/usefull features. My favorite feature is that is does not squelch. It has a silent operation feature. You can allert, or speak with someone and when you/they are finished your radio does not squeak at you. It has an amazing range on it. Even in very deep canyons, I still was able to communicate with people several miles away.

I also like the fun alert tones. I set mine as a Mt. Lion, and each of my buddies set theirs as some other animal. (turkey, hawk, bear...)

I hope this helps.

2Pointer
www.jglowblinds.com

LAST EDITED ON Feb-19-11 AT 05:04PM (MST)[p]For me the Midlands have out lasted the Motorola's, I use them a lot and have went through many radios over the years.
I have some cobras on order, they are the GMRS / VHF Marine band. And on the same order I have a set of Midland GXT1000.
The old Motorola's are some of the best ones I have used, but the new ones do not hold up for me.

We don't have the the radios with GPS in them but it would be of great use like already said. It would be a lot easier than reading the coordinates off your GPS to your hunting partner on the radio waves for everyone to hear :-(

Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

The Garmin also has a scramble option so no one else can hear what you say.

We have Midlands and they worked pretty good. If we can get cell service we use our phones so nobody can listen in. Be very carefull what you say on radios the radio police are out there. We just tired of all the smartazz out there that will mess with you on your radios.

+1 on the Garmin 530 HCX

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".

+1 on the midland. They are very good for the money. They way out preform the top of the line talkabouts that we used before. Love the animal sound alert function.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom