20 x 80 verse 15 x 56.

fatrooster

Long Time Member
Would appreciate any opinions concerning preferences between the Steiner 20 x 80 binoculars compared to the Swarovski 15 x 56 SLC's. I already owne a pair of 10 x 42 Swaro EL's and I was wondering if there is much difference between 10 power and 15 power to make it worth my while to buy 15 power. Thank you. fatrooster.

LAST EDITED ON May-09-04 AT 10:11PM (MST)[p]A pair of 15X makes all the difference in the world. I never even use the Leica 77 any more. Also the best 15x pair of binos for the money is Docter Optics $800 I have abused the crap out of mine and I will say they are the best pair of glass I have ever owned even better then the big three
http://www.docteropticsusa.com/binoculars/nobilem.html
Justin

Thanks Justin for the info. Have you ever heard of any body who had to use Doctors limited lifetime warranty? If so how were they at honoring it? fatrooster.

I wish I could say yes, but unfortunately I only know a small handful of people who use this optic but no one has had any problems yet.
Justin
www.huntinco.com

I used Steiner 20x80's my first year and would highly recommend not using them. They are way too heavy. As for 15's , it is well worth the money buying them. I have 15x56's SLC's with a good tripod and really think they are what you should look into. I havent used Docter's but have heard good things and for 800.00 I doubt you can go wrong.........Allen Taylor......

Hey Bura, besides the weight of the Steiners, how well do they do optically. Are there any other draw backs besides the weight. I would'nt mind packing another pound in my pack.

Jason, dont waste your money because I think Docter or Minox makes a better more appropriate 15x bino that are basically close to the same weight as Swaro's 15x and are priced the same as the Steiner Senator's I had. There is a Steiner 15x Bighorn I think it is called and they are pretty good. I have seen the Bighorns for around 500.00 bucks. but I think they are only 15x45 or so. They dont bring in enough light and the field of view is smaller than you need to see out there a couple miles in my opinion. Send me a note if I didnt make sense. P.S. has Duwane come up there to put on the glassing lesson he told me about? I thought he said you and Harry had talked to him about coming up. If he does I would love to come up with him and shoot the breeze......take care...... Allen Taylor......

Bura, Duwane had already made it up here back in march. The seminar was great. Myself, Harry and several others had a great time.

I have had both and between the two Minox or Doctor the Doctor are much better optically the Minox are less weight and easier to pack but the optics are not up to the Doctors. The resale value is better on the Doctors also. Good luck on your pick ps steiners would not even be one of my choices.

LAST EDITED ON May-15-04 AT 02:49PM (MST)[p]Thanks ya'll for the information. Hey Bura, that glass class sounds like something I would be interested in. Does Duwane do them often? I'm guessing that ya'll live in Utah or Arizona. Does he travel around giving glassing clinics? Thank you. Fatrooster.

I owned a pair of the Doctor 15X60's about 7 or 8 years ago, when they were a little less mainstream in the states. I had problems with the tubes falling out of collimation (the barrels weren't in sync, or aimed at the same point - produces a double image) with the least bit of impact. The prisms chipped easily as well. At the time, I had a nightmare trying to deal with the USA rep/importer and basically ended up on my own with the repairs. The glass were sent to a shop that shall remain nameless about three times, never ending up correctly fixed. I finally was able to get them fixed correctly at an outfit in Montana, and as soon as I got them back I unloaded them in trade for a Ziess Conquest scope - I really got the best end of that deal. As well as they were fixed in the end, they seemed too "delicate" for hunting after that, and I couldn't bring myself to trust them. They spent more time in repair or in transit than they did out in the field. This episode has basically taught me to steer well clear of the lesser known european optics, and Doctors in particular.

I replaced them with the Swaro 15X56 and haven't regretted it since. They are optically superior (althogh the Doctors were very clear), lighter, smaller, tougher, and easier to mount on a tripod. I have heard that most people that have bought the Fujinon 15x's are very happy with them. The lower end/high power stuff like Pentax should be avoided. The pair I looked through was like looking through vaseline.

Whichever you decide, make sure that you're covered by a good warranty that will be honored by the USA rep. I have heard that if you pick up Swaro's through anyone other than an authorized Swarovski USA dealer, they are considered "gray market" and you will have to handle repairs direct with the factory (in Austria). If you do end up with the Doctors, a good name to know is Dan Baldwin @ Mountain Optics, I belive in Belgrade, Mt. He finally put mine back together right.

Fatrooster: During the non-hunting times, Duwane will put on glassing lessons. Most everyone who buys big glass thinks once they have the optics they are set. I can assure you that just because someone has the glass, doesnt mean they know how to glass effectively so a lesson from someone who has done it-for 25 years doesnt hurt. Holler at him 1-520-385-4995 if your interested..........Allen Taylor.....

Thanks SouthernWyo, I will not be going with the "Doctors" after hearing what you had to say. Looks like the Swaro's win out again.
Bura, thanks to you also for the info on the Steiners. I won't be getting anything but Swarovski after everything I've read in all of the forums on this website. And thankyou also for Dwane's phone number. And yes, I am interested in the "Glass Class."
fatrooster. AKA Drew Edwards.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom