$200 class binoculars

C

cory

I was planning on spending around $200 for some binoculars, what are your opinions? I was thinking either the Nikon extreme 12x50, the Leupold mesa 10x50, or I noticed that Pentax has a $200 class pair of binoculars. Or, would I benefit $200 worth if I spent an additional $200 and got some of the new Nikon monarch 10x56?

LAST EDITED ON Aug-01-06 AT 07:41PM (MST)[p]For $200.00, you're headed in the right direction in staying with a porro prism bino because you generally get more bang for the buck vs a roof prism. The problem with a porro is they're generally bulkier, harder to make waterproof, and maybe not quite as durable because the focus is usually in the eye-piece moving in and out. The plus side is, you get a great view because the prisms don't require phase coating.

Leupold just came out with a new porro in their Casacade line that focuses internally. These should lay to rest any weatherproofing/durability issues. I think they retail in the $300.00 range, and if they're anywhere near as clear as the 8x42 Mesas I've owned, I think you'd be hard pressed to find better glass for the money.

http://www.leupold.com/products/new_Cascades_Binoculars.htm

If you want a roof prism in the $200.00 range, contact Doug at Cameraland about the refurbished Nikon Monarchs he sells. I think he could get you into one for right close to your price point. The good thing about Nikon is they have a no fault warranty that allows you to send them in for repair or replacement for $10.00, no questions asked. And yes, this applies to their refurbished goods.

Best of luck in your decision.

>I was planning on spending around
>$200 for some binoculars, what
>are your opinions? I
>was thinking either the Nikon
>extreme 12x50, the Leupold mesa
>10x50, or I noticed that
>Pentax has a $200 class
>pair of binoculars. Or,
>would I benefit $200 worth
>if I spent an additional
>$200 and got some of
>the new Nikon monarch 10x56?
>
In the $200.00 - $400.00 price class you can get:
Minox - Nikon - Pentax - Bushnell or Olympus Roof Prisms that will be excellent quality. It is true that in the same money a optically better porro prism can be had, however, a porro will not be built as strong as a roof will.
Please feel free to call us to discuss different options.

If there is anything else that I can assist you with please let me know.
Doug
Camera Land
212-753-5128
[email protected]

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Great Deals at Camera Land

Camera Land - Optics, Cameras, & More

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics
Back
Top Bottom