2007-2008 bows

M

mshred

i am thinking of upgrading my bow after this archery season and would like some suggestions on good hunting rigs for bows that are a couple years old.

i cant afford to buy new. my bow now is about 10 years old and gets the job done, but i'd like to be able to take advantage some newer technology and hopefully stretch out my ethical shot distance.

i know the mathews switchback gets a lot of good press. any others i should seriously consider?

thanks.
mshred

I've been really happy with my alpines. They've got good speed very quiet through in a limb saver split limb dampener and their silent. I've robin hooded so many times I quit trying to get good groups.And I've only been shooting since march of last year.I picked one up off of archery talk for $275. An 09 ventura with new strings

I shoot an 08 Hoyt Vectrix which I bough new for about $750. I picked up a used one (for backup) last year in perfect condition for $275 on AT. Both shoot great, tough as hell, easy to service. I don't plan on upgrading for many many years.

Check out the Elite bows. Their warranty is the best in the business, and is fully transferable. Very high quality materials, Barnesdale limbs. Smooth bows, solid backwall, shock free, and quiet.

Mathews XT's are a great bow as all the top brands are excellant these days. Check out ebay after hunting season mid winter for the best deals as guys are looking to sell their bows for one reason or another.

We have a couple of XT's. The Mathew's technology on that bow was ahead of it's time. They shoot so smooth, no vibration and group tight as you can shoot out to 60 yds. You will have less of a selection with Mathews since thier bows are built only draw length specific. One in our group shoots the Bowtech , Alleigence that is a great bow, shoots almost like our Mathew's and is adjustable draw length.

If your bow is older technology... 10 years old your "arrows" may also be older technology?. The advancements in small diamiter arrows like Easton's Full Metal Jacket 340's with Blazer vanes and a small aerodynamic broadhead like G-5 Strikers will get you out their to 50 yards and group tight as field points. The kenetic energy of this setup when you hit an elk or any game is unbelievable.

Our group did a study when Blazers first came out and found that you get 8 inches less drop at 50 yards when you use these 2 inch Blazer vanes instead of 4 inch vanes on the newer smaller diamiter style arrows. For best results you can't mix old technology with the new advancements. If you put an older, bigger less aerodynamic style broadhead on these arrows you may need to use the older 4 inch vanes to get bigger broadheads to fly well at longer distances.

So as you upgrade your gear think about upgrading your arrows. The FMJ's are expensive but they last forever. The only ones we have replaced have been from broadhead's grouping to tight. You will need to spot shoot and not shoot groups with this setup.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom