2007 Idaho muzzlerloader requirements

Read it more closely. One phrase eliminates most all inlines : "pivoting hammer"

C.D.,

I think you have missed what most are concerned with regarding their inline rifles for Idaho hunting. Re-read the regulations on the link you posted. Item 4, particularly the middle of the verse, "pivoting hammer". This excludes most inline rifles manufactured today.

Inline muzzleloaders are still OK for use in a general or short range weapons season but not a muzzleloader season.

Slewfoot

Sorry, Paul. We were both posting the same message at about the same time. Yours posted first while I was typing.

Slewfoot

LAST EDITED ON Feb-26-07 AT 07:12PM (MST)[p]I'm hoping it's a misprint and that they left out "nipples must be Exposed" that would make most in-lines legal. I just sent Idaho fish and game an e-mailwith apic of my inline with the nipple exposed with the hammer in a uncocked position. we'll see?

Your muzzleloader is an inline and has an exposed, pivoting hammer? You would be in the minority then. 99.9% of inlines do not have a pivoting hammer. It is not a mistake. That is what they intended for the law to mean. I hear they may be having second thoughts, due to all the complaints they are getting.

I'm hoping that when they printed exposed they forgot to print Nipple behind it. Mine is a standard in-line. Piviting would be a standard side hammer. Like I said I'm hopeing they left nipple.

These rules aren't difficult to understand. Looks to me like no sabots, no jacketed bullets, no scopes, and very rare inlines(there are a few) with exposed, pivoting hammers. Looks like they are reverting to the original intent of traditional muzzleloaders. Good for them.

Muzzleloader Rules
Effective January 2007

Muzzleloader hunt rules require that weapons must:

Use all-lead bullets at least within 10/1,000 (.010) of the bore diameter.
Have open sights.
Use only loose black powder or loose synthetic black powder.
Have an exposed, pivoting hammer, either side-lock or in-line.
Have an exposed ignition using only flint, musket caps or percussion caps.
Be at least .45 caliber for deer, antelope or mountain lion.
Be at least .50 caliber for elk, moose, bighorn sheep, mountain goat or black bear.
Muzzleloader weapons that don't meet these restrictions may be used in 'short range weapon' and 'any weapon' seasons.

>Looks like they
>are reverting to the original
>intent of traditional muzzleloaders. Good
>for them.

Yeah thank god I can still use my Composite stock sidelock with its Stainless steel Fluted barrel and its 1/28" twist, fiber optic sites and 150grn max charge!!!

Its just terrible the advantage those inlines had over me!

-DallanC

That is exactly why the change is bullshitt. My TC Firehawk is an in-line. I shoot no more than 100grs and boy dose it drop off the chart after about 125yds. Yet people have side hamers loaded with 150 grs fluted barrels and can change out barrels to get a 1 in 28 twist... Idaho has there head up there as on this one. Traditional my ass. You wearing moccisans. Thats like a tree hugger not wiping his butt with toilet paper.. Don't forget to ride your mule to where ever it is your hunting.

I have hawkins that group as good as my inlne and also limit myself to at the absolute most a 125 yd shot. For me it's all about having a gun I can rely on to not hang or miss fire.

If there gonna mess with muzzleloaders than the should also screw with the archery guys also..

CD,

>If there gonna mess with muzzleloaders than the should also screw
>with the archery guys also..>

Exactly what I told them in their recent survey. All archery only hunts should be with traditional archery equipment, no compounds, etc. Fair is fair!

I hunt with a flintlock but my brother in law has a spanking new inline that intended to hunt with during the muzzleloader season. We hunt and camp together - no animosity between us. He has a caplock as well so at least he can fall back on that.

For years I have suggested to the IDF&G at big game scoping meetings on the survey form's remarks area, that they should have a traditional hunt in all regions. That leaves the rest of the region for any muzzleloader. They didn't allow for scopes, sabots, etc. then, so no big deal. Those who wanted a traditional hunt had an area where they would be comfortable.

Everyone should continue to write to the IDF&G Commission with their opinions, politely.

Slewfoot

Restricting inline rifles because they don't have a 'pivoting' hammer is assinign. This would be comparable to the Fish and Game commission deciding that 'Bolt action, Pump action and Lever action rifles' are too efficient and effective, and then requiring all firearms hunters to use break open single shot rifles for all center fire firearms seasons. Reguardless of the action type, they would all fire the same cartidge, with the same muzzle velocity, same down range energy, same trajectory.

All things equal, (barrel length, rate of twist, powder charge, and projectile), inline rifles have no ballistic advantage over side locks. The will have identical muzzle velocity, down range trajectory, retained energy, etc.

Just my .02 cents, Smokepoler63

the only edge a inline would have is a slightly better ignition with the same #11 cap. The inlines are a bit lighter to carry. also a faster lock time, which in some peoples minds could help accuracy.
You are spot on with the "no ballistic advantage over side locks" comment.
My sidelocks will shoot with the best inline for accuracy. Ron

LAST EDITED ON Mar-06-07 AT 06:37AM (MST)[p]This is a BS ruling that is ment to keep the muzzleloading hunters a small group with a small voice, so we don't bother the department too much in the future.
Not counting the general season doe and cow hunts and looking only at high quality controlled antlered hunts, this is what the department has given all the muzzleloaders after a couple years of traditional rules in some areas, and a lot of promises.

Antlered Only Elk
Any weapon hunts: 81 hunts (22,272 permits)
Muzzleloader hunts: 1 hunt (50 permits)

Antlered Only Mule Deer
Any Weapon Hunts: 42 hunts (13,417 permits)
Muzzleloader Hunts 3 (237 permits)

I believe this is a dead issue, at least for 2007. The commission has set their agenda for tomorrow and Friday, and if it isn't on the agenda, then it will not be discussed. Here is a link to the agenda.

http://fishandgame.idaho.gov/cms/about/commission/mar_07/

The commission ran this through with very poor public notification, then pulled the survey from the web sight as more and more sportsmen voiced their disapproval of the restrictions. I believe the restrictions are a done deal and this issue won't be revisited until 2008 at the soonest. They continue to give the muzzleloader hunters of Idaho "table scraps" and "bare bones", while the center fire rifle and archery hunters get the "all you can eat buffet".

If muzzle loading popularity has grown to the point that the commission claims it has, (30,000), then give us some good hunts and more opportunity for h377 sakes.

i think it's good it gives the deer a chance instead with a scope you can shoot father with it thats not muzzeloader hunting.

WTF, What are you talking about? Scopes have never been legal in Idaho during MZ seasons. Get your facts straight. You come across as an ignoramus.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom