2009 Western Safari Results

Califelkslayer

Long Time Member
Just got back late last night from my 34 day excursion through WY, NM and NV hunts. It all started on Sept 27th when I blasted off for a WY Region K deer hunt with my wife and step-son. I left on the 27th to get there early/scout and set up a comfortable camp. (gotta make it comfortable so they'll keep going)

I set up camp in an aspen patch with the horses picketed behind camp. Camp was a 12X14 wall tent w/10X12 cook shack complete with wood stove. My wife arrived the evening of the 30th with only 3 full days to hunt. I had scouted and was comfortable her and her son Zack would be sucessful.

Opening morning I elected to drive and spot as I'd seen several bucks in the class we were lookin for (20"+ 4 points) with the same method. The snow storm the previous evening and cold temps were part of this decision. We saw several small bucks, easily stalkable but nothing we were interested in that early. That afternoon we made a drive through a canyon that looked promising. I didn't explain my directions clearly enough and I saw 11 bucks, 3 respectable ones exit the canyon and they didn't see any of them. And I was the pusher. Basically I took for granted their understanding of deer behavior, wind direction, etc and with their minimal experence I messed up a great opportunity for them. Highlight of day one was the 16" antelope buck we saw continually running off a respectable 15" buck.

Day 2 sarted out the same way, driving and glassing. At daylight we saw 4 bucks uphill of the truck. I ranged them at 340 yards. Zack got a rest and shot. He clearly missed!!! I told them to get back in the truck as the bucks hadn't run and there was a road about 300 yds above the bucks. We got above where I thought they were. I had Zack go down the draw I thought they were coming up, I had my wife Eva go down the ridge and I took the next draw. I called them on the radio and told them to start when I got i got in position. I took less than 20 steps when I saw the 4 bucks at about 150 yards. I shot the biggest one. He went right down, got his hind quarters back up and ran downhill with his chest on the ground. I called Zack and Eva on the radio and told them I had a buck down. We searched that hillside for an hour. No blood or any sign indicating he was hit. I was so confused as I'd never lost a rifle buck in my life. As we were walkin back to the truck, Zack and I spotted a nice 4 point at about 150 yds. Eva couldn't see it. Zack shot and I thought I saw the buck flinch. It took off running fine. As it was about to disappear around the hill I shot it. It went right down and started rollin down hill. I only shot because I thought the buck was hit. As it turned out Zack had grazed the top of his back, not even drawin blood.Tat evenin we pushed a big canyon and saw several bucks out of range.

Day 3 will be continued as my wife and I are going to go outside so she can get aquainted with her new horse.

Hunter i"ve been wondering how your hunts turned out.Can't wait to hear the rest of the story,hopefully there are pictures?

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

California Guides & Outfitters

Western Wildlife Adventures

Offering some fine Blacktail Deer hunting, Wild Pig hunts, Turkey hunts and Waterfowl hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer the top private land hunts in all of California, for blacktail deer, elk, pigs, bison and turkeys.

G & J Outdoors

Offering Tule elk hunts for bulls and cows on a 17,000 acre Ranch in Laytonville, CA with 100% success.

Back
Top Bottom