2011 Antelope 16 Resident BP's

vanderb79

My wife, Kelly, has 16 bonus points going in to the 2011 draw. We have experience, both guided and DIY, in unit 10, but are wondering if this unit is still the be all and end all for trophy antelope in AZ. Kelly needs a rifle hunt and with the lengthy wait times, this may be her last chance at an AZ buck. She may consider a modestly priced guide for this rare experience. What unit do you think she should apply for and why? Thanks in advance for your opinions...Bill

LAST EDITED ON Dec-24-10 AT 03:32PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Dec-24-10 AT 03:16?PM (MST)

LAST EDITED ON Dec-24-10 AT 03:15?PM (MST)

Unit 10,19b,17's and even 19a are all good units but at 16pts she would not be in the max pool.16pts would guarantee her an archery tag in just about any unit.I drew my 2nd choice this year with 11pts in 19a and had good success. Good luck in 2011 draw.

Just checked the odds for unit 10 2010 rifle antelope:
155 applicants with 16pts that put in for unit 10 in 2010.
It was 2.2% chance of pulling that tag with 16pts.
There were 2 people with max pts in 2010 which was 21pts.
You can check your odds on Huntertrailhead.com

LAST EDITED ON Dec-24-10 AT 03:36PM (MST)[p]I drew a 10 rifle tag this year and it took 20 points to do it. So it will take her a few years to be in the max bonus point pool. My brother and I were on the same app, he had 19 so it rounded up to 20. We had a great hunt and went with Pronghorn Guide Service, I would highly recommend them. My buck scored 87 and change and my brothers was 86 and change. It is a great unit.

If you draw the Unit 10 tag you might want to consider using the former G&F officer who worked this unit for over 30 years and made the best unit 10 map ever offered to sportsmen.

That man's name is Tim Pender and I assure you, there is no one who knows this unit better, regardless of the critter be it elk, deer or antelope.

I may be just a tad prejudice, for Tim work's for me, but he is one is the nicest and most knowledgable guys around and he still lives in Seligman, right in the heart of Unit 10. And to top it off he works for a very reasonable fee.

Don Martin
Arizona Wildlife Outfitters

Hey DonMartin I stop at his house (Tim Pender) and he wasn't there but did get the opportunity to talk to his wife about the deer in unit 10. She was very nice and helpful about the area. I wish I could have talk with him oh well. We didn't see any Antelope while out looking for Mule Deer. Ive been told around the North-West around the Indian Res would be a good area to look at.

Yep none better in Unit 10 that Tim Pender. Heck of a nice guy too! Shame you didn't get to talk to him.

Don Martin
AWO

Thanks for the replies so far. Yesterday I found out my 2 labs got out of a freind's yard who was watching them while I'm in MN. They have been missing since x-mas eve. So this and my elk post are not that important right now, but I thought I should reply anyway.

Obviously, you don't need max points to draw many if any resident tags in AZ. However, max points will "guarantee" you a tag. According to the odds on this site, it would have taken 19 BP's last year to get to around a 10% chance and 20 to for sure get a tag.

So at 16 this year, Kelly is not really close to the guaranteed point. I guess the real point of my question was "is unit 10 head and shoulders above any other RIFLE hunt in terms of trophy potential"? In other words, does it make sense to keep putting in for 10 only and just wait till it happens or put a different unit down as a 2nd choice?

Max points doesn't "guarantee" anything!

10 has trophy antelope that's for sure....but
it's starting to get overrated as far as numbers.

Just my opinion.

That's why I put it in quotes :)...so if 10 is over rated, is there another unit that has enough trophy potential to justify burning the points?

LAST EDITED ON Dec-27-10 AT 09:47AM (MST)[p] I would say 19b but most of it is private property and would cost you around 1500 to hunt some of the ranches if not more. 19a which was once known as the best unit still has good goats in it but theres also a few private ranches that would cost you around 750 to hunt. One particular ranch in 19a had 2 goats killed this year around 87".

Bill:

Sorry to hear about the dogs...hopefully you'll get them back.

As to what it takes to draw Unit 10 antelope, if you're a resident, then anything from 1 to the max 22 points in 2010 COULD get you or Kellie a tag.

Ask AZbucksnort on this site how many points he had when he and his dad drew tags in 2010!

You won't believe it. And he got a dandy on opening day with us.

Anyway, unless you are in the max pool, and right now there are 5 residents and 0 NR there, you won't be "guaranteed" a tag. Put in for some non descript unit that doesn't get a lot of ink and Kellie might get in the under the 10% bonus point pass rule.

Unit 10 is good, IMO, but big, mature bucks are hard to find and pre-season scouting is a must! But that goes for any unit, any hunt.

Good luck in 2011!

Don Martin
AWO

Thanks Don...I'm flying back tomorrow - not sure it will do any good, but going stir crazy here being unable to do anything at all. As for the antelope, I think we'll just stick with unit 10 at least for 2011. If she gets lucky and draws, I will likely be giving you a call :).

Cool, I'll Mr. Pender know so he can start looking. Never hurts to start looking, even this early in the year!

Hope the dog situation turns out for the better. I can imagine how you must feel...

Don Martin
AWO

AZBuckSnort, Unfortunately I do need max points to draw for some reason. I know you dont need max points, how many did you have? We were hunting not far from where you guys were, drove by you a few times. Congrats on your buck, what did it end up scoring?

My pronghorn scored tantalizingly close to 82. Too close to pass for me and the fact I OUTFOXED him on his turf sealed the deal.

I had the one point you get to keep for taking AZ Hunter Ed and the point you hang on to for being persistent, so a total of 2.

AZ GMU10 is an area that always produces several whoppers and a fair number of solid, mature bucks. That being said, there is intense pressure and pre-season scouting is a must. I have a Unit 10 map on my wall in my "hunting cave" with color-coded push pins marking pronghorn buck sightings. That map has helped me focus in on areas that I'm more likely than not to see mature bucks. For all my scouting efforts last fall, & I put in the time and burned the gas to look at plenty of country, I still couldn't get my Dad a buck. He missed a few times but still should of tagged a pronghorn and I felt bad for him as he's knocking on age 70 and isn't likely to draw Unit 10 (or anywhere else in AZ) again.

Oh well, there's always Wyoming!

Good Luck to all in 2011 and I'll be applying in Unit 10 again and keeping my fingers crossed...you never know.

Arizona Hunting Guides & Outfitters

SilverGrand Outfitters

Offering mule deer, elk, antelope, bighorn sheep, javelina, and turkey hunts in Nevada and Arizona.

Arizona Elk Outfitters

Offering the serious hunter a chance to hunt trophy animals in the great Southwest.

A3 Trophy Hunts

An Arizona Outfitter specializing in the harvest of World Class big game of all species.

Arizona Strip Guides

Highly experienced and highly dedicated team of hardworking professional Arizona Strip mule deer guides.

Urge 2 Hunt

THE premier hunts in Arizona for trophy elk, mule deer, couse deer and javelina.

Shadow Valley Outfitters

AZ Strip and Kaibab mule deer, big bulls during the rut, spot-n-stalk pronghorn and coues deer hunts.

Back
Top Bottom