2011 Javie

nmtaxi

Very Active Member
My son and I headed to southern NM this weekend for a quick javie hunt. Luckily we were going to hit it just right witht the weather just warming up after a ridiculously cold week.
Started off the morning by seeing this group of turkeys, and actually calling these three dumb jakes to the truck. Didn't even have a call. Just clucked at them and they strutted in. I don't find any that stupid during the season.

turkey.jpg

After a long hike that morning and coming up empty, we were walking towards the truck when my boy said "Coati Mundi!!!". There were 8 or 9 of them sitting up in a tree watching us. While I guess they're fairly common in SW New Mexico, I had never seen them before. Strange little animals.

coatimundi.jpg

We tried a different spot that afternoon, and right away spotted a herd. We got within 50 yards and I picked out the biggest boar in the group. One tag filled, and we went looking for the herd again. Unfortunately we could never get back on them.

javie1.jpg

javie2.jpg

Fun, but quick hunt.

Paul, coati mundi are different than a rintail cat. Much bigger - about like a raccoon. Run in packs. Here is a better pic...

coatimundi2.jpg

Embarrassed to say I have never heard of them let alone seen one.

They look like half sloth, half monkey.

nmtaxi....Cool pics and a great Javelina, Thanks for sharing!

Hunting is Life...everything else is
Just details.
Ol' Buzztail...

Congrats on the piggie looks like a good one.I have never seen or heard of a coati mundi, I guess I'll start lookin.

LAST EDITED ON Feb-07-11 AT 02:20PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Feb-07-11 AT 02:15?PM (MST)

tailgunner... found a close up pic of those critters, I knew they were down there but never seen any..They are one of our protected furbearers.

6535coati_mundi.jpg

Hunting is Life...everything else is
Just details.
Ol' Buzztail...

Cool Pics!!

I have always want to see a Coati Mundi. I never thought of looking up in the trees.

Oh yeah congrads on the Javelina.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom