2011 UT hunt proposals

5 day, and 3 day seasons 2010, and 2 weeks of hunting in 2011. I wish the DWR would adopt a solid deer management plan and stick with it!!!!

Really sucks to be a guy with 13 points for elk and the desire to hunt elk with a smokepole. Any Ideas on why it would be good to put the muzzleloader and rifle elk hunts at the same time if I am reading things correctly. Not a big bow hunter on this end but when is Utah going to figure out that big bulls should be hunted with archery equipment during the rut and the high powered stuff later when the elk are not so vulnerable. Just my 2 cents.

G3 Anise sp? of the dwr was on the radio saturday and was asked about this question. He said most elk were killed in three days on the hunt so that's their pathetic answer. Push back the rifle elk tags, keep the shorter deer seasons to SEE if they work.

I think we should keep pounding them in the rut and then scratch our heads as to why we keep surpassing the age class objectives no matter how many tags are given. Then we give more tags to try and meet it. This logic leads to a breaking point for the units in my opinion where bull numbers are devastated, Nebo is prime example.

Part of it IMO is because average age is taken from only harvested bulls and unfilled tags are not considered and it's like they didn't exist.

The fillmore Oak Creek unit is an example. Age class of harvested bulls seems like an arbitrary goal if there's not enough bulls on the unit for all hunters to find one....

I just think it's dumb that the archery hunt is not in the heat of the rut. Why the hell do the rifle hunters need the heat of the rut? They can shoot 500 yards for their bull, archery has to get close. Pretty stupid if you ask me.

These new hunt structures make total sense!! What dont you guys understand? Two nine (9) day rifle hunts for deer/elk with a nine(9) day muzzy deer/elk hunt right smack in the middle. This takes away stress on the animals along with the new regulations allowing antlerless hunters to hunt with appropriate weapon during all other hunts, hence taking off even more pressure from the animals. The above statements are only a joke!! and so is this new structure of hunting seasons. I cant understand the logic behind these deer/elk hunts and the limited entry elk is really wacked WTF rifle hunters on top of muzzy hunters.WOW.. I think they just want more time off and this cramming all hunts so close allows more time off work.
Lets put this into logic would you rather be chased arround for nine(9) days by guys with rifles or eighteen(18)days, I would pick the nine no matter how many guys there are over having them spread out for eighteen days(18) higher chance of survival in the nine day hunt compared to eighteen days of hunting.
All I can say is whatever your thoughts VOICE YOU OPPINION AT THE --RAC-- MEETINGS

i sure hope people are making their voices heard and emailing the dwr and the rac chairman on this matter. their email adresses are on the dwr website and this proposal is total garbage make sure they know what you think good or bad before it is to late

you guys are all barking up the wrong tree.

you want to know why we hunt elk with a rifle in the rut? You want to know why the bowhunters and muzzy guys are getting the bone? ask sfw they are the ones getn paid $$$ to kill them in the rut. who is going to pay to hunt when the bulls are in a deep dark canyon where you have to work for them?

the division doesn't even have a say in this matter if sfw and the wildlife board want this crap. so sending your emails to the division is a waste of time. going to the wracs is a waste of time.

4a7d1f93337c7fd7.jpg

Nets are for fish!!

>you guys are all barking up
>the wrong tree.
>
>you want to know why we
>hunt elk with a rifle
>in the rut? You want
>to know why the bowhunters
>and muzzy guys are getting
>the bone? ask sfw they
>are the ones getn paid
>$$$ to kill them in
>the rut. who is going
>to pay to hunt when
>the bulls are in a
>deep dark canyon where you
>have to work for them?
>
>

>the division doesn't even have a
>say in this matter if
>sfw and the wildlife board
>want this crap. so sending
>your emails to the division
>is a waste of time.
>going to the wracs is
>a waste of time.
>
>
4a7d1f93337c7fd7.jpg

>Nets are for fish!!

oh god here we go another conspiracy theory alright everybody sit back and do nothing that is the right way to get it done lol

Common sense says those wealth tags would fetch a lot less if issued in Oct. Sad part is they could issue more tags and it would be a wash.

Four straight weeks of hunting pressure on our deer herd, just what they need. Of course I would like to have less competition afield, but this proposal is only good for the hunters. It is horrible for the deer herd. I do like the hunt opening on the same day every year. That makes sense to me.

who ever came up with these proposals needs to put down the crack pipe . and listen to hunters not money!!!!

yeah its getting out of control. tis ticks me off. what are they thinking? the only thing that is even a possibility is the $$$ it just doesnt make sense.

these idiots need to pull there stupid heads out of that dark deep canyon on there backsides and realize they need to start managing for the animals not the fricken hunters! in the long run that will be the most prosperous. the way they are doing things now. is gonna hurt them in the long run.

im sick of it!
its funny how avg joes like us can see the obvious outcomes of such stupid proposals, yet these supposedly college educated wildlife biologist idiots cant.

I like the way utah is right now, the deer hunt is okay, could be better and to accomplish this would be to stick with 5 day deer hunt for 5 years and see the outcome.
I like the LE elk hunts the way they are currently with the exception that they take 20% of the early rifle tags and put them elsewhere.

LAST EDITED ON Jul-09-10 AT 03:50PM (MST)[p]DWR=(DIVISION OF WONDERING RETARDS!) SFW= (SPORTSMAN FOR WEALTH)
I feel that the Archery hunt should be in the heat of the RUT, and the Rifle should be pushed back further away from the RUT??? Why is this so hard for the DWR(Division of Wondering Retards) to figure out??

LOL AMEN BROTHER, to many wondering retards, who cares what the general public wants its who has the fatest wallet and what he wants, and he wants to shoot elk with his rifle during the rut

Anytime that the question of moving the LE elk hunts comes up, it is not the FAT Wallets that scream. At least not on this site. It is all of the average joes with high bonus points. I'm sure that having the hunt in the rut is fun but alot of the Governor type tags are harvested late. It is easy to point the finger at the wealth and SFW but when the subject comes up they scream no louder than the rest of us. Just more proof that we want what is good for the herd as long as it does not interfer with our own wants and desires.

>Anytime that the question of moving
>the LE elk hunts comes
>up, it is not the
>FAT Wallets that scream.
>At least not on this
>site. It is all
>of the average joes with
>high bonus points. I'm
>sure that having the hunt
>in the rut is fun
>but alot of the Governor
>type tags are harvested late.
> It is easy to
>point the finger at the
>wealth and SFW but when
>the subject comes up they
>scream no louder than the
>rest of us. Just
>more proof that we want
>what is good for the
>herd as long as it
>does not interfer with our
>own wants and desires.

then you wake up and smell the coffee so to speak and see when you go to a wrac meeting the public opinion dosent have any effect on our wildlife. If you have ever been involved in trying to get anything passed in Utah you will learn how little your hunting group, how little public opinnion has in the matter and how SFW will get what ever they want. sorry muley73 but money talks and has corrupted the whole system.

4a7d1f93337c7fd7.jpg

Nets are for fish!!

Other than the overlap on LE Muzz Elk and LE Rifle Elk, I like the changes. I would hate to be the guy chasing LE Elk with a Muzz when other guys have rifles.

the Le traditional archery guys have to compete with the compound guys so how is it any different for a front loader to compete with a cartridge? Just a question!

4a7d1f93337c7fd7.jpg

Nets are for fish!!

actually, the difference is the primitive archery guys "choose" to compete with the more high tech archers, and can "choose" to exchange there recurve for a compound at any time during the hunt. The ML guys will have to stick with there smoke pole while B of the W guys are popping bulls at 900 + yards. They have to decide before they apply if they are okay with the disadvatage once the rifle guys hit the hills.

Personally, I would still go for a ML tag and take my chances.

Archery elk hunters should get to hunt the rut. But it should be primitive archery. No compounds. How many guys would gladly drop the technology to hunt the rut. In that regard the smokepole season should go back to Nov., but again to hunt the deer rut you give up the inlines, sabots, optics. I would do this in a heart beat! For those who want more technology, you give up the best times. Compound bows get pre rut or post rut. In lines get sandwiched between gun seasons, not much difference between the two inside of 250 yrds. The traditional seasons(bow and smokepole) get 10 days. The compound and inlines get a week, the rifle gets 5 days. Oh yeah, CWMU's can give up their 4 month season. They should be able to get by on 3 months, if not they can take back their public tags and we can take back our guaranteed tags. Finally, all DWR trucks get to have a GPS. Not because they get lost, but to show how much time they spend on the mountain because only blind sideshow clown honestly thinks that a month of solid deer hunting is good for our herds. Even if all they do is take data off of the numbers killed on the highway, they should know that the deer are in trouble, and if their are fewer road kills, they should see the mountains!!!!

I am not totally opposed to having 2 seasons. I feel this could be helpful with some other management in place.

Add micro management with the 2 seasons and I think you will see deer hunting take a turn for the better after 3-5 years.
Some units are not ready for two 9 day seasons.

Would you guys rather hunt early or late?

Just my thoughts/questions on the issue.
Take care.

What a great idear lets have one more season added to the list
primitive archery season , compound bow season, muzzle season, rifle season hell lets trow in crossbow season just for shts and giggles that way rifle can land somewhere in november
and we could have three days to hunt elk Ya!
my opinion should go to two seasons archery season in the rut shoot whatever recurve long bow what ever makes ya feal good
and a short rifle season you can even use a smoke pole
just to make it a challenge lol.
archery season success is still alot lower rate then rifle
to be honest some of it is the technolodgy but most of it is hunters are becoming more educated some archers actually get off the wheeler and hike.

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom