2011 UT Recommended Permit #'s

dang it is open season on the wasatch this year for elk.numbers are up all acroos the board/cache moose is definantly declining in numbers from 22 in 10 to 9 this year

It looks like they finally figured out that the Plateau antelope could use a timeout.

What the hell is going through their minds shooting that many poor damn does on the MONROE? WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYY below pop objective. IMHO does should not be hunted in any under objective unit cars, cougars, and coyotes do enough doe regulation in this state. Glad to see they cut it back but it needs to be done completley away with until we are 500,000 deer strong in Utah. Then mitigate maybe 1 doe a year with a bullet.

LAST EDITED ON Apr-06-11 AT 09:12PM (MST)[p]There goes the elk tag that I thought I was guaranteed this year. Reduced it by one making the other 1 go to random draw. I can't stand that they do this after the application deadline.

Also noticed that they must want all the mtn goats dead on Williard Peak. They almost doubled the male and female tags.

>What the hell is going through
>their minds shooting that many
>poor damn does on the
>MONROE? WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYY below pop objective.

>IMHO does should not be
>hunted in any under objective
>unit cars, cougars, and coyotes
>do enough doe regulation in
>this state. Glad to see
>they cut it back but
>it needs to be done
>completley away with until we
>are 500,000 deer strong in
>Utah. Then mitigate maybe 1
>doe a year with a
>bullet.

Ask em. Let us know what they say.

Wow....
Added close to a hundred tags for the wasatch overall. That 600 plus chances at takin a bull off there. Now that is a ton of bulls.
Lots of guys gonna be happy to draw that mountain goat tag. Added close to 20 tags for willard peak.

looks like they might need to cut some spike tags off the top units :) Pahvant, San Juan, Beaver, BC Roadless, Dutton, Monroe, all plus others took tag cuts. Cannot help but think the spike hunts are really going to have more of an effect in a few years. Well I should be out of the elk pool and into the deer pool next year, but the Mrs. is going to be awhile waiting

Marley, The goats on Willard are doing just fine. Every year they are way above the objective so I would imagine that they are going to get the pop down to where it should be.
a20792b12a43280588e9ae_s.JPG

I think the doe tag numbers on the Monroe are in response to agricultural damage concern. I don't hunt deer there but have a cabin there and am just totally amazed at the lack of deer numbers. It is great country with what seems to me to have very adequate winter range. It should be much better than it is.

Yeah I was more joking about what I said about Williard Peak. I grew up in Brigham City and still visit every year several times and spend alot of time on Williard Peak. There are alot of goats I just couldn't believe how many tags they upped it in one year. Still waiting for my tag up there.

"I think the doe tag numbers on the Monroe are in response to agricultural damage concern. I don't hunt deer there but have a cabin there and am just totally amazed at the lack of deer numbers. It is great country with what seems to me to have very adequate winter range. It should be much better than it is."

My hell are the farmers in Richfield and koosharem getting ate out of house and home? I agree that range can hold way more than what it has.

Pretty much my luck. Put in for San Juan elk with 17 points and moose as once in a life time. Both of them took drops in tag numbers where alot of the others were increased. O well, if there was 10 tags and 11 applicants I would be the odd man out!! The tags will come in time!!! Good luck in the draws.

The snatch can handle 600 LE tags....average success across the tree seasons is like 68% or so thats 400 bulls roughly.....not that bad.

What it can't handle is the 3225 cow tags recommended. The Division estimates 7700 elk on the unit....if thats true i'm blind as a bat.......even if there were, issueing 42% of the TOTAL population in COW TAGS is F'in retarded......anyone remember Fishlake??? thats what happened there and now well ya it speaks for itself.......

As a bit of Advice from one who knows a bit about the snatch, anyone who ever hopes to have quality elk hunting on the wasatch range, spike, cow, LE doesn't matter, Needs to be at the Central Rac meeting in Springville on April 19th. Mark My words if this antlerless proposal goes through it will wreck elk on the wasatch for many years to come.......

littlebeaver.jpg

a32_cleaners.jpg

I agree the goats on Willard Peak are doing great but WOW that's going to be a war zone up there since they are pretty much hanging out in a few areas. They better get a parking attendant at Inspiration point and run a shuttle bus from the Mantua church. There's an idea DWR, run a shuttle and charge $50.

Moose - it;s about time the dropped the Cache and Ogden back down. Quality is really suffering, glad my tag was filled several years ago.

>The snatch can handle 600 LE
>tags....average success across the tree
>seasons is like 68% or
>so thats 400 bulls roughly.....not
>that bad.
>
>What it can't handle is the
>3225 cow tags recommended.
>The Division estimates 7700 elk
>on the unit....if thats true
>i'm blind as a bat.......even
>if there were, issueing 42%
>of the TOTAL population in
>COW TAGS is F'in retarded......anyone
>remember Fishlake??? thats what happened
>there and now well ya
>it speaks for itself.......
>
>As a bit of Advice from
>one who knows a bit
>about the snatch, anyone who
>ever hopes to have quality
>elk hunting on the wasatch
>range, spike, cow, LE doesn't
>matter, Needs to be at
>the Central Rac meeting in
>Springville on April 19th.
>Mark My words if this
>antlerless proposal goes through it
>will wreck elk on the
>wasatch for many years to
>come.......
>
>
littlebeaver.jpg

>
>
a32_cleaners.jpg

i know it is a bad stance but i might as well put in for the wasatch cow tag and be one of the ones to take some meat off the mountain.because that unit is doing nothing but going down hill.i guess all of those high class heber residents do have a say in matters.it blows me away how many tags the dwr are giving away on that unit

I noticed that some of the numbers referenced for last year on this permit recommendations doc do not match the odds report from last year. Anyone have an explanation for why this report might say there were a few more tags than the odds report for 2010 said? Poaching reward tags? can't be expo/coservation tags as that math doesn't add up either....

LAST EDITED ON Apr-07-11 AT 09:24PM (MST)[p]I spend a lot of time on the wasatch and was also at the recommendation meeting. The proposal makes perfect sense when all of the facts are on the table.

First off, Many of these tags are during October, which is a lower success rate. We all agreed at the meeting that it would be better to offer these tags at a time that was less likely to stress deer (January hunts) and offered a lower success rate, thus creating more opportunity. They have to get under objective by law and they also have to make room for next years recruitment.

Any way you slice it, the Wasatch is way over objective and the numbers have to be reduced.

Tree what makes you say the Snatch is over objective?? If there really are 7700 head of elk on this unit then i sure ain't seeing them........

Here are some honest numbers that ought to b

LAST EDITED ON Apr-08-11 AT 02:40PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Apr-08-11 AT 02:39?PM (MST)

The division flew it this winter. They were very thorough and have GPS tracking to show them going up and down every canyon. They didn't generate these numbers from a computer model, they counted animals over several days and the weather was very cooperative, narrowing the "unseen" animal margin by only a few points. Don't take my word for it. Get ahold of the central division office.

They are over age objective for I don't know how many years in a row, as well as population objective. It doesn't bode well for someone who wants an easy shot at a 350 bull, but it fits in to the management plan.

And berry, I have a contrary experience. I am seeing tons of elk on the Wasatch, but they just haven't been in the usual places, pretty much all winter.

I put in for Willard Peak with 7 points just for the heck of it rather than put in for a bonus point and have no chance at all in getting a permit. I was shocked at the number of permits they planning on issuing. I want to do it with a bow when I get the permit, but with 40 other guys up there I would have to snipe one from way out in unethical land to have a chance on the opener. I did see a bunch of them up there when I was on the extended archery hunt last winter. Hopefully, I don't draw this year, I should be behind the pack for the most part with only seven points.

wow there is no deer in this state and with all this snow this year they didnt cut any tags for northern.

>I think the doe tag numbers
>on the Monroe are in
>response to agricultural damage concern.
>I don't hunt deer there
>but have a cabin there
>and am just totally amazed
>at the lack of deer
>numbers. It is great country
>with what seems to me
>to have very adequate winter
>range. It should be much
>better than it is.

You pretty much summed up several other areas in the state too nebo. We'll see what happens after the RAC's vote won't we.

It's always an adventure!!!

"First off, Many of these tags are during October, which is a lower success rate. We all agreed at the meeting that it would be better to offer these tags at a time that was less likely to stress deer (January hunts) and offered a lower success rate,"

That's what they were saying about the Fish Lake disaster. By in large I agree, but, all it takes is an early snow like the one they had on the Fish Lake and it's an absolute slaughter. I too see a lot of elk on the Wasatch, but lets call this for what it really is and cut the BS. This is in direct response to balancing out the deer and elk because supposedly, deer and elk can't co-mingle. Obviously JMO.

It's always an adventure!!!

Well, I thought I was sitting pretty good on the SW Desert LE archery tag with 11 NR points. But if they drop it to 3 NR tags, that's one less bonus tag. Last year I had a 50% chance and didn't draw. So yea, I know what it feels like to be the "odd man out."

LAST EDITED ON Apr-11-11 AT 01:32PM (MST)[p]Tree, there are a ton of elk that I know, but here are a couple of thoughts for you.

this is a bit heresay but it has been said by those who do the counts that Manti elk winter on the Wasatch hmmm so now we issue tags for elk that we can't hunt.......that also goes for avintaquin elk and front elk.

the buttload of the buggers that are tearin up the heber valley, all come off of CWMU. Again can't hunt them.....and again admitted by the dnr to be problem when it comes to their numbers.

i remember a few years back when the estimated pop hit 5500 there were flippin elk runnin every which way from sunday on the punkin hunt.....not anymore......

In Daniels Canyon this year traveling it nearly every day, i saw less than 50 cows, thats the winter range for half of strawberry valley less than 50.....that isn't counting the center creek elk they are all cwmu anyway......and i didn't get off the road much so there were probably more but still way down from years past......

I'm gonna state it very very clearly, IMHO if this Antlerless proposal goes thru elk hunting on the wasatch range will be severly effected. In a very negative way for many YEARS to come.

Tree, this has nothing to do with age, i'm not fussed bout the bull tags, the unit can handle that and IMHO it needs it. 400 bulls is nothing compared to the elk numbers, but 3225 cows is. Fishlake had somethin similar to this occur, supposed way over objective, Massive antlerless numbers to counter. now it speaks for itself. Fishlake is not what it used to be by a long shot.

I'm all for things that will help the elk, I promise i'm not some greedy don't kill them so I can get a 400" bull kinda person. This is wrong, its bad for hunting, hunters, and most importantly, the elk. and we will be stating that at the Rac meeting on the 19th.

littlebeaver.jpg

a32_cleaners.jpg

Jim tell me what about 7700 elk suggests any kind of a lower success rate......??? ;-) remember the current creek cow slaughter from a few years back?? hell they said there was only 5500 elk then. Imagine 7700 runnin around on opening morning!

I'm gonna add balancing the tag numbers across the state in to your opinion as well i find it interesting that 5 certain units receive tag cuts, and two other units increases nearly exact to the number of the tag cuts.....now thats a balancing act!!! haha

littlebeaver.jpg

a32_cleaners.jpg

Sweet! Me and my brother and my dad put in for Res. Wasatch muzzy this year and not as a group, so we may have a chance to burn our points!

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom