2012-2013 Wolf hunt

idelkslayer

We all prize our elk hunting here in Idaho and agree that wolves are having a negative impact in some areas. Like most hunters that I know, I thought that $10 for a tag is cheap enough to put two in my pocket in case I see a wolf during the elk and deer seasons, with the plan to get out specifically for wolves once or twice.

As we head into the mountains to hunt this fall I just wanted to take the time to offer up an idea. I would suggest that as the season progresses, that we share information on wolf sightings and successful wolf hunts with more detail. I understand that many people don't share drainage specifics in regards to wolves because they fear it will give away their elk hunting spots. That's completely understandable. Those who are willing to give more details can aid other hunters in finding and tagging a wolf or two and in the long run that may serve to improve the elk hunting in your area.

Wolf season opens August 30 statewide, lets help each other save our elk.

I agree lets work together to help reduce their numbers in good hunting areas. While scouting unit 18 last weekend I herd a few howling at night in the Shingle creek drainage. I dont plan on hunting that drainage for elk or wolves however i know they both are in there.

The boville to clarkia area is chalked full of them. If you had two tags and had the opportunity to kill more what would you do?

I drew a unit-48 Bull tag,so i'll be spending time hunting for wolves too. I'll keep you all posted if i kill or spot the VERMIN!!

A friend who lives off of Grimes Creek had a neigbor who lost a small dog a couple of weeks ago to a young lone wolf that seems to have broken off from a pack (likely kicked out). The wolf is now harassing other pets in the area - easy pickings. Going up Friday with my son and another buddy for the weekend and the four of us are going to find that damn thing. It doesn't seem to be scared of anything - even ran across my friend's front porch! Fish and Game doesn't seem to acknowledge it, but there's been an active pack up in the area of Wildhorse Creek and Rattlesnake Creek for a couple of years.

Mark

Just buy your tag(s) after you take out as many as you can. Just don't say anything to anybody.

;-) Mickey Mouse Outfitters provides an experience you will never forget, because we always do it Micky Mouse style. We always guarantee shots. It might be at the ground or in the air, but it's a guarantee we are committed to.

Seen 14 of them up in the Smith Creek Area by Prairie! I ran into them on 2 separate occasions.

TICK
TALL, WIDE, AND HANDSOME

what do you guys think about posting this in the general hunting forum as well as each state forum close by? i think a lot of people will see it and find it very useful as many non-residents have at least showed interest in wanting to shoot one but are clueless on where to go in our state. one NR posted that he was coming up and was going to look somewhere between lowman and the idaho/wyoming border... if everyone could be as specific as possible/comfortable i think it could really help our cause.

maybe title it "Idaho Wolf Sightings, Drainage's Included"

Yes!!! I think it should be in the "Main Forums" listed under "Elk".
**NEW ** 2012 Hunt Adventure Challenge
General Hunting
Mule Deer
Elk
Idaho Wolf Sightings, Drainage's Included

;-) Mickey Mouse Outfitters provides an experience you will never forget, because we always do it Micky Mouse style. We always guarantee shots. It might be at the ground or in the air, but it's a guarantee we are committed to.

There's already a forum that includes wolves, why do we need another one.

That ain't a camel toe, that's a moose knuckle!

LAST EDITED ON Aug-28-12 AT 05:20PM (MST)[p]I posted in the idaho forum because I figured that anyone wanting to hunt wolves in Idaho would check here. It could probably work in the Wolves forum if it had a title that made it clear that it was a continuous effort to post up to date wolf locations in the state of Idaho.

Anything to get all of us organized and hunt these suckers down. Including the land and livestock owners, and anyone else that can see why they got rid of them in the first place.

Thanks!!!

I have hunted unit 18 a few times for elk and bear around the graves point area down into the johnson ridge lotta wolves in the northern end of 18 lots of elk and some some decent sized bears deer population is down though i believe from i what saw or didnt see

Had some friends in 18 over the weekend. Most of the elk seem to be over on the northern end by cow creek and that direction. Saw nothing but lots of wolves and dry condtions on the Seven Devils/Race Creek areas.

I think this is great. Thanks for all of the info. I am new to Idaho and don't know much about hunting in the state. I lived in Montana for several years and have seen the devastation the wolves have had on the elk, deer, and other game species there. I have some friends from Nevada that have shown interest in coming over here and doing a wolf hunt this fall/winter so all the info I can get will be put to good use this year. Hope to take a few of them out. Thanks again.

LAST EDITED ON Sep-21-12 AT 02:29PM (MST)[p]Just got home from a week hunting in unit 59, on Wednesday the elk quit talking and on Thursday morning heard howls and saw wolf tracks on top of my Wednesday boot tracks.
46cfa7275632b29c.jpg

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom