2012 NM Resident/NonResident Sheep Draw Totals

abqbw

From NM Dept of Game and Fish.

Resident and Non-Resident Rocky Mountain and Desert Sheep draw totals for the 2012 Draw (Ram hunt codes only)

Desert BHS (Rams tags only)
1 Resident (6.6%)
15 Nonresident (93.7%

Rocky Mountain BHS (Ram tags only)
9 Resident (75 %)
3 Nonresident (25%)

Rocky Mountain and Desert Combined (Ram tags only) 10 Resident (35.7%) 18 Nonresident (64.2%)

>From NM Dept of Game and
>Fish.
>
>Resident and Non-Resident Rocky Mountain and
>Desert Sheep draw totals for
>the 2012 Draw (Ram hunt
>codes only)
>
>Desert BHS (Rams tags only)
>1 Resident (6.6%)
>15 Nonresident (93.7%
>
>Rocky Mountain BHS (Ram tags only)
>
>9 Resident (75 %)
>3 Nonresident (25%)
>
>Rocky Mountain and Desert Combined (Ram
>tags only) 10 Resident (35.7%)

>18 Nonresident (64.2%)

They made a nice chunk of cash off the Nonresidents at 3160.00 a pop...1manshow

These numbers represent percentage of tags awarded right? What was the percentage of Res/NonRes that applied for Desert sheep? I think we would see that the numbers are equally skewed and the distribution may show that many more NR applied than Res.

With eight new Desert tags available for the first time in NM, anyone that even remotely thought about hunting a Desert Ram and had some available cash or credit limit on the CC applied for those tags.
I laid awake a few nights just thinking about the possibility of hunting the Ladrons!
Best of luck to those who drew those special tags...regardless of which Res/NonRes camp they came from.

The draw rates show the percentage of nonresidents applying was overwhelming... Why don't they limit nonresidents to a certain % or set aside quota of the sheep tags like all other states do? Just curious...

NM is barred from having a nonresident quota for sheep, ibex, and oryx because the state lost a lawsuit called the Terk case.

So, Sheep no nonresident quota. Elk and deer yes. Makes perfect sense... :) The decision should be appealed just for consistency. Of course, a loss at the highest level might mean all nonresident quotas everywhere get thrown out. So there is some risk. The way it is makes no sense. I'm thinking that the tag numbers are so small it isn't worth the effort....

I may be ignorant, but I wonder whether the game and fish could, provided that they were actually interested in whether or not NM residents ever get to hunt desert sheep, get around the quota restrictions by designating certain sheep areas or hunt codes in certain areas as resident application only? They've already screwed NR's out of hunting in wildlife management areas, couldn't they use that as a precedent for setting aside say hatchet 2 for the local boys?

Game and fish need a lawsuit plain and simple, there is documentation that they can easily over turn the sheep draw to a quota if they care to do so, but it looks as though they don't want to do that.

Surprisingly the biggest reason NM residents draw fewer sheep tags than NR, is a lack of interest. Comparing the numbers, more than 45000 NM residents apply for limited elk tags. By contrast only about 3000 NM residents apply for a Sheep tag. Not sure of all the reasons, but probably not the cost. A resident sheep (ram) license is 161.00.

If the resident to nonresident ratio was reflected in the 1:15 draw... And you assume the resident numbers were constant from last year... 3000.. That means about 45,000 nonresidents applied this year, a ten fold increase! I know this sort of interpolation is BS... But if so, draw odds didn't change much from last year...Maybe doubled with a 16 X increase in tags.. And wow! That many willing to send in $3200 for a sub 1% shot at a tag! Like me..... :)

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom