2012 NM Resident/NonResident Sheep Draw Totals

abqbw

From NM Dept of Game and Fish.

Resident and Non-Resident Rocky Mountain and Desert Sheep draw totals for the 2012 Draw (Ram hunt codes only)

Desert BHS (Rams tags only)
1 Resident (6.6%)
15 Nonresident (93.7%

Rocky Mountain BHS (Ram tags only)
9 Resident (75 %)
3 Nonresident (25%)

Rocky Mountain and Desert Combined (Ram tags only)
10 Resident (35.7%)
18 Nonresident (64.2%)

That is a very sweet deal for NR. I assume that Ibex and oryx are similar.

It appears that G&F nets about 50K more by most tags going to NR on sheep alone.

I didnt ask for the applicant numbers. Statistically, there were many, many more non residents that applied. 15:1. I've been looking at the Sheep draws for a few years and usually the draw rate for res/nonres is pretty much the same as the application ratio of the two groups. Some years it's off more than predicted, but only by 10 or 20 percent. Clearly a ton more nonresidents applied for desert sheep. No surprise that desert sheep tags were wildly popular for giant desert sheep that have never been hunted. NM with a relatively small population is going to be overwhelmed by the other 49 states and foreign countries for tags like these. About 2/3 of the all the sheep tags (rocky and desert) we're drawn by nonresidents this year. That's about typical and is in line with the usual application ratio.

Low population state. I think sheep tags are so limited and coveted that lots of people, me included, apply in nearly every state they can in the hopes of drawing a tag somewhere someday. Plus, this year NM had 15 new desert tags for never-hunted sheep (and giant ones at that). Anybody that is mildly interested in sheep, heard about it and applied.

Good post abqbw...I just replied with the same comments you made on a sheep thread. It was a great opportunity this year for NR like myself though. I can't wait to see how this all shakes out for next year's draw process and if any changes take place. Regardless...I'm like many others and I'll apply either way if I have the funds or good health! I love hunting NM and wouldn't mind living there if the economy was stronger. I didn't draw a single tag this year...again; it's been three years since I last drew a Unit 13 elk

This resident cares about hunting sheep, but really only since I drew last year. I suspect hntbambi is right in that a lot of residents don't apply or apply on whim if they have exra money at application time. NM has never been a good option for sheep enthusiasts looking for a desert tag until this year, and now it's disneyland, I figured the draw odds would be even worse when they added the tags due to increased non res interest. Looking forward to seeing what kind of rams they bring in this year.

So, is there anywhere that I can find what the draw odds for sheep were this year, or is that even something that New mexico does?

>So, is there anywhere that I
>can find what the draw
>odds for sheep were this
>year, or is that even
>something that New mexico does?
>

The button here on MM works great for odds. We have to give it time to update for this year in order to get accuracy.

However, that is unneccesary, just think in terms of 1% for Desert bighorn.

Atta Boy Jeremy V. of the NMWF OK.. I need to stress nothing earth shattering BUT he got the Commission to admit on the record that he was going to look at it... This isn't huge but it is a first step...

SOOO Call you game and fish commissioners.. THEY ARE LISTENING...

J

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom