2012 Off-range oryx

nmtaxi

Very Active Member
After a horrible 2011 hunting season, this year started off right. My son had his youth off-range oryx hunt start on Friday. Thursday night we headed south with expectations of long, dusty miles, hot days, hours behind the glass, and burning through fuel like it was free. Friday morning was meeting those expectations.

The desert was in full bloom, helping to break up the monotony of the landscape.

fl1.jpg

fl2.jpg

fl3.jpg

We hit the all the water holes and found a lot of water. What we didn't find was any sign of oryx. I never would have guessed that areas that held a lot of oryx just two years ago, would be void of them completely now. Especially with them having two months off from pesky off range hunters.

We decided to hit a new area around 10 am, and on our way we ran into a herd of about 8 oryx. Being over 10 miles from the range, we weren't even in oryx mode. Jr, deciding that it was too easy to shoot an oryx next to the road, decided to give them a warning shot instead (insert sarcasm here). We watched as the herd made their way in the distance into the thick brush that oryx hunter know so well.

It was getting hot, and we decided to push on closer to the range and see what kind of activity there was down there. We did see some singles, and tried an unsuccessful stalk on one of them. It seems as though StinkyStomper had been to the area, because we found some of his spent brass. You really should pick this stuff up Tony. I can't imagine how much this brass cost. This thing made a .50 cal look like a pellet gun.

shell.jpg

More miles and glassing through heat waves, we decided to head back to town for a meal and regroup. Over a Big Mac, we decided to head back to where the herd was we saw that morning, and get on their tracks. We couldn't imagine they went too far in this heat.

We got to the spot around 5pm and picked up their trail easily in the soft sand. Following the trail slowly and glassing ahead in the high thick brush, we looked for white faces and black horns. A little less than a mile on the trail, there they were. Two oryx. One was a double broken horn, and the other a repectable cow. Suprisingly, they hadn't seen us yet.

Using the brush, we closed the distace to around a hundred yards. Jr. was standing with his .30-06 on the sticks, waiting for the bigger one to give an open shot through the brush. What was probably less than a minute felt like an eternity knowing that at any moment they would walk into out scent. Finally they cow cleared, and Jr. put here down with one shot. The cow was just over 30", but definately an off-range trophy.

oryx1.jpg

oryx2.jpg

oryx3.jpg

Congrats to your son. What a great day. Sounds like you guys really have got into them.
Have not seen one on the right side of the fence yet. Took today off. Hit it hard yesterday. May have a few hours in the morning though.

>Paul have you checked the area
>I told you about last
>year?

Yep, they wont cross the fence. I have seen them on the other side several times, but, no fresh oryx tracks on the off range side.

There was a good thunderstorm there couple days ago and now there is standing water. Give it a week and they may start crossing.

I remember seeing a bunch of that brass on my dads past oryx hunt. There was also a lot of bullets as well as live rounds next to the brass. Glad you guys were able to get an oryx. Congrats!

nmtaxi,.......Way to get the job done on opening weekend!! Great off-range animal, write up and pics!! Got my blood pumpin' now!! Hurry up July!! Congratulations.

Buzz

Hunting is Life...everything else is
Just details.
Ol' Buzztail...

Thanks guys. I'm still smiling over that hunt. What a blast. Had a great time with my boy.

The off range hunts have been very good to us. We've gone 4 for 4 off range, with 3 of thoseon opening day. On the other hand, neither one of us tagged out on-range. Wierd.

Great story! Congrats again!

Spent the last three and a half days roaming the desert. Didn't get one... Not yet. Saw lots of others hunters and very few said they saw anything. Did find remains of two successful harvests however.

We did see two different groups of animals but had no shot opportunities. Very jumpy animals. First group had about 10 animals with some nice ones in it. We ran out of cover at 600 yards after crawling for 600 and couldn't get any closer. They later busted as we tried to reposition in the truck. They were right in the middle of a huge flat. At the second encounter with oryx two days later the animals busted immediately upon seeing the truck giving no chance for a shot.. This second group of five included two brownies and actually had two animals with absolutely nothing for horns! The other two adults couldn't have been more than 12" long. It was a fun time but a rough and hot hunt. Lots of glassing and driving. Put over 1000 miles on the truck, with 400 of that being on gravel and dirt. Will try again!

bowhuntrJLG ...Sounds like last year as we drove back and fourth between Highway 380 and TorC on the dirt roads five times, hot dusty and a bazillion gates... at least you had sightings nothing worse than baking like a potato and not even seeing tracks or droppings.. Keep after them it's only a matter of time and you will put one to sleep!!

Just details.
Ol' Buzztail...

Another three days out there and another 1000 miles on the truck...yet still no animal in the freezer. Crazy wind this weekend! Getting time to go again is proving rough. Think all we will be able to do now is try one more time the last two days of the month. We are trying and hunting as hard as we can...and getting quite a tan in our attempts, but this hunt is proving tougher than any past off-range hunt. Trying to stay positive! Third time is a charm right?!?!

LAST EDITED ON Jun-18-12 AT 10:01AM (MST)[p]Same thing here. Buying lots of gas. Fresh sign, but, nothing on my side of the fence.
My son has the off range in July. Starting to scare me.
Gonna turn into a desert rat.

LAST EDITED ON Jun-18-12 AT 11:27AM (MST)[p]bowhuntrJLG..I was starting to wonder if you guys disappeared out in the desert never to be heard from again..Sounds like a real tough time and its got me anticipating the worst..I don't know if you pay attention to the MOON phases but on the 19th the new moon starts so whats left of June should be a more productive time. Good Luck Guys!!!

Just details.
Ol' Buzztail...

Keep the updates coming!!! My wife and I have a hunt in August, I'm using your updates to get her excited!!!!!!!! If I don't get one it's ok, but I really want her to get one.

>Thanks guys. I'm still smiling
>over that hunt. What
>a blast. Had a
>great time with my boy.
>
>
>The off range hunts have been
>very good to us. We've
>gone 4 for 4 off
>range, with 3 of thoseon
>opening day. On the
>other hand, neither one of
>us tagged out on-range.
>Wierd.

That is crazy. Were you just holding out on range? 4 for 4 off range is amazing.

Went out last night for a couple hours and best I saw was some tracks maybe 3 days old coming off range and going back on. It could have been in the middle of the night for all I know.

Still pretty cool to be hunting an oryx in June.

>Keep the updates coming!!! My wife
>and I have a hunt
>in August, I'm using your
>updates to get her excited!!!!!!!!
>If I don't get one
>it's ok, but I really
>want her to get one.
>

Lots of gas, flat tires, broken trucks, and hot weather. That will get you pumped up.
Still fun to be hunting in June.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom