2012 Vortex Razor HD 10x42

B

brallen1969

Has anybody purchased these binoculars? I have saved up and am looking for a good pair of binos. I realize Swarovski's are the best, but they are also very expensive. I want the most for my money obviously, but are Swarovski's $1500 better? I hunt in Ca., in very brushy terrain so good optics are a must. Any advice would be great. Everything I have read has been positive on last years models, but nothing yet on the new ones.

Brad

The new ones just barely came out a few weeks ago.. I've looked threw them and they are great, I own the viper hds and have loved them, I would imagine they are everything my vipers have plus more. Can't go wrong with Vortex.. I'm sold for life

I absolutely love the new Razor HD's. I have them in the 8x42 model and I love them. The weight is better than any bino on the market and it feels great in your hand. Precision focusing and edge clarity are perfect. I am extremely happy with them.

> I
>realize Swarovski's are the best,
>but they are also very
>expensive. I want the
>most for my money obviously,
>but are Swarovski's $1500 better?
> I hunt in Ca.,
>in very brushy terrain so
>good optics are a must.
> Any advice would be
>great. Everything I have
>read has been positive on
>last years models, but nothing
>yet on the new ones.
>
>
>Brad

For everyone that thinks Swarovksi is the best...You may be want to look at the New Zeiss Victory HT available in August...May question your thinking.

I just go me some Razor 12x50 HD's and they are sweet!!!

hornkiller.jpg

LAST EDITED ON Jul-17-12 AT 00:51AM (MST)[p]At the level of quality the new Razor HD is there is very little to gain by spending more money.

Problem for me would be which one?

Razor HD
Zeiss Conquest HD
Meopta Meostar HD

But for my money I would look for a deal on a lightly used alpha glass.

Zeiss Victory FL

A late 2008-2009 production Swarovski EL (upgraded coatings and focus over earlier El's) damn good glass.

A late production Swarovski SLC NEU

In my opinion the best glass for the money is without a doubt a used Zeiss Victory FL.

The FL's brightness has been finally reached by the Swarovision and SLC HD so its still in the top 4 binos (HT included) for brightness. The FL has flourite HD lenses.

I picked up a mint 2009 EL for $1400
I have seen several like new Victory Fl's go for under $1400

Yes, check the used market. Be patient and check every day! I found a brand new in the box pair of Swarovision EL's for $1600, bought them on the spot. Saved $1000 over retail + tax.

2a0fcsk.gif

The razors are light because they have a polycarbonate main body with magnesium only used in their "chassis." If you like products that are made in China and have virtually no resale value buy vortex.

If you want a product that will last forever and actually appreciate in value buy swarovski. Virtually any swaro product purchased ten years ago is worth more today than what it retailed for new!

The new Razors are made in Japan. They feel great in the hands and have great glass to my eyes. Great company, thats only a few miles down the road from me, I know if I ever have a problem it only takes a few minutes to get the problem taken care of

"have virtually no resale value buy vortex."

You really havent watched any classifieds have you?

"If you want a product that will last forever and actually appreciate in value buy swarovski. Virtually any swaro product purchased ten years ago is worth more today than what it retailed for new!"

Mybe after you ship your swaro's in and pay to have it refurbished Or fixed any problems with them!

Vortex is lifetime on any problem FREE!

the extra $1000-$1500 Your going to spend on swaros doesn't make that up in the field. I have spent plenty of time behind both so dont say go try it!

Then you bring up were they are made is your glass made in the U.S.A.? Nope!

Everything you own made in the US? Nope!

Are you a hippocrite alaska_bou?

Your 12x50 swaro are 35.2oz $2700.
My 12x50 razors are 39.5oz $1170.

So you know everything that makes the vortex so light, Why are the swaro's lighter? Are they cheaper made?

If you can see a $1500 diffrence in the field go buy them! I know alot of guys that dont see it. So dont go saying vortex are crap made,light and useless preowned!

hornkiller.jpg

I agree with Timberbuck. I personally do not know why anyone would spend $1200 on a Vortex Razor, when there's just as good, and often times a better package to be found for less money. A good used SLCneu, EuroHD, Minox, Leupold GR HD, ZenRay ED3, or as TB said, you can buy a 10x42 Zeiss FL for less money than a new Razor. I've been guiding hunters part time for 10 years, probably had over 100 hunters in camp, and I've never seen a single one wearing a Vortex anything. Not a slam, just the way it is.

I had a chance to try out a pair of new Razor HD. It is quite compact and light, comparing to their previous open bridge design. The resolution is fine, similar to Viper HD or ZEN ED2 I have. But I cannot see why this one is selling for $1100. The sweet spot is about the same as Viper or ZEN ED2. It gets blurry at out 20-25% field of view. I also compared it to Conquest HD. Conquest HD 10x42 is noticeably brighter although Razor's feel and finish looks better. Jusging from edge image softness, I guess it may not have the field flattener lenses like Swarovision has.

Another Glass that is first class is the Steiner Peregrine XP...My cousin bought a pair on ebay and they are flat out top tier glass. You can find them on ebay and such for 7-800 dollars which is half of their new cost.

I just purchased a pair of Swarovski EL 12x50. I did the side by side comparison and in MY opinion for what its worth the Swaros are better glass. I wanted to buy top shelf glass and did. Is it 1,500 dollars better glass. Hard to say. You get what you pay for.

I'm going to wait for the new Zeiss Victory HT so I can take a look. Hearing great things about that new Zeiss! $2,200 in case anyone was curious. :)

LAST EDITED ON Aug-05-12 AT 07:24AM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Aug-05-12 AT 07:19?AM (MST)

I like what Timberbuck said...

I now have 3 sets of Swaro binos and 1 Swaro Spotter so you know where my allegiance lies.

Once you get into the better $400-$500 optics, the cost per unit of improved quality is expensive and you do have to spend a lot to get only slightly better picture. BUT, if you are talking the TOP glass I do not believe that includes any of the current Vortex, Meopta, etc. I'm not saying best value, hell that probably falls in that $500 category for new, or as said, a used SLC NEU or late model EL for $1000 bucks.

One argument I do not like is comparing Vortex's warranty to Swarovski. Swarovski has been around a LONG time and is going NO where, therefore there warranty will be there if you need it. Vortex on the other hand is a relatively young company, is growing substantially, which can be very hard to control financially, so I have much more concern about the long term value of their warranty, though I very much like the structure of it.

While I may sound anti-Vortex, I do own and love their rifle scope line. I am as or more interested in things other than optical clarity in rifle scopes and really like what they offer, especially for the price. I thik the Vortex line overall is near the top of the list for VALUE. I am also very interested in their Razor spotting scope with the big lens.

I do think many people try and convince themselves that the big $$ glass(Swaro, Leica, Zeiss...) is hype and that there is no benefit over that $500 set, but it has been shown over and over again in Optics you do get what you pay for, you just don't get twice as much for twice the money.

I bought a pair of razors and have loved them. I've never owned swarovski or Leica so I can't put a comparison on them. But I'm a happy vortex razor owner

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Great Deals at Camera Land

Camera Land - Optics, Cameras, & More

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics
Back
Top Bottom