2013 Harvest Data is up

salsola

LAST EDITED ON Jun-11-14 AT 11:27AM (MST)[p]http://www.wildlife.state.nm.us/recreation/hunting/

Some of those deer numbers are truly depressing. Here's data from the 1st rifle hunt in a unit I track:

2011-- 19.8%
2012-- 14.3%
2013--9%

Satisfaction ratings down, tag numbers the same.

Edited to correct the numbers. Even worse than I thought!

Seems to be some weird numbers that I cant figure out. For example, on the elk data, Unit 55 Private Rifle is showing 487 bulls on the estimated harvest. Surely that is not right?

Can anyone explain? Maybe I missed something?

Hunt Hard. Shoot Straight. Kill Clean. Apologize to No One.

>Seems to be some weird numbers
>that I cant figure out.
>For example, on the elk
>data, Unit 55 Private Rifle
>is showing 487 bulls on
>the estimated harvest. Surely that
>is not right?
>
>Can anyone explain? Maybe I missed
>something?
>
>Hunt Hard. Shoot Straight. Kill Clean.
>Apologize to No One.

Vermejo alone harvests around 300 bulls a year. Add in Xpress UU Bar and all the other private ranches and that sounds about right.

Ok this is by no means scientific, lots of assumptions, lets say hunters kill 20% of the bucks in NM each year, also we'll assume a 25% buck to doe ratio.

So 8500 bucks killed divided by .2 we get 42500 bucks state wide, so at 38,000 tags issued there is darn near a tag issued for every buck. Keep in mind a 20% buck to doe ratio would include this years crop of bucks and spikes, which probably make up about half of the overall buck population. You literally have 38k people chasing around 20k mature bucks.

If we take 42,000 bucks divide by .25 we get an overall population of 170k deer, of the 170,000 deer how many live on reservations, ranches, or town deer. My totally uneducated guess would be at least 100,000. So this leaves 70,000 deer on public land, 17,500 bucks if the population has a 25% buck to doe ratio. Of the 38k buck tags issued how many are for public land? I would say the majority, in fact I would doubt if 30k tags are allotted for public land. So you literally have 30,000 hunters chasing around 17,500 bucks. Of the 17,500 bucks probably half would be forked deer or better so <8000 forked bucks for 30k hunters, nice.

This is how you end up with 12 and 13% success ratios. Way to many tags. I get there are vast areas of New Mexico that don't have a mature buck. This is problematic, not just for hunting but the simple survival of the species. At least survival on public land. Kinda sad really.

Drought has had a huge effect on numbers, and no doubt numbers are down because of drought, but I promise some of the deer population numbers are also due to overhunting. Even if my numbers are off by 25% it still would indicate a huge problem of overhunting.

Who knows maybe it is by design. I know the vast majority on here would pay more for a tag. Probably would be willing to hunt every other year if they knew the opportunity was better. $50 - 60 bucks for a deer tag does not seem unreasonable to me.

I doubt anyone really has a good estimate on the statewide deer population, so your guess might be as good as any.

According to game and fish, the statewide buck to doe ratio is 32:100, with 30% of those bucks being yearlings.

If you look at their own data ( http://www.wildlife.state.nm.us/documents/documents/20AgendaItemDeerRule.pdf ), the number of tags sold and hunter satisfaction is at an 8 year low. Hunter success has been trending down since 2007. With our without drought, the trend doesn't look good.

Under the proposed rule changes (see document above) a good number of units will have reduced tag numbers.

Proposed changes are still open to comment. Let 'em know what you think!

The numbers match what we've been saying for years,dismal.
Don't know how many have said it for so long,cut the tags,shut some units,and double the fee . Increase predator hunting. Enforce/increase poaching laws.
The muledeer need some relief, or their goners here.

Over 3000 deer tags in unit 34. I really doubt there is 3000 bucks in 34.

Cutting tags is the only thing NMGF has 100% control over and it is not being done.

Not saying that there are not other factors, but, killing 600 bucks a year in 34 cannot be helping the herd.

That is 600 deer that predators may take before a reproducing doe.

Over 3000 tags in unit 34 and 80 tags in Unit 7 ??????????????

Why does NMGF abuse the southern units? Why do they think that the southern units can be over hunted when the deer population is fading fast.

I doubt there are 2000 bucks in unit 30.

Game and fish must respond quicker to drought conditions. It should take 1 year to implement tag cuts, not waiting for a 4 year plan. It would probably be a good idea to shut some units down. At least for a while. Without private land, town deer and reservation management you might have very few deer in NM if any. This drought is severe. Everyone can understand that. Everyone also knows the game department needs hunting revenue. Heck I am sure most here would probably pay $100 for a instate tag. Some aspects of the game department are incredibly antiquated.

I would strongly encourage any public land hunters to at least pass on the forks they see so at least there are a few bucks to breed the does that remain.

If the game department isn't going to do something then perhaps we hunters can. Save a heard, let the 1.5 and 2.5 year old bucks walk. At least until this damn drought passes.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom