2013 Moose/Bear/Caribou Archery Hunt

bigfoot llamas

I made the mistake in promising an Alaskan hunt to my son if he graduated with a 3.8 gpa or better. I thought with my history in school it was a promise I would most likely not have to come through on. As it turns out he got his moms brains and is killing it in school. He could completely bomb out the next two years and still graduate with a better gpa then I came out with. To say the least I am a proud father.

So I am turning to you guys who have done the hunts for outfitters to start contacting and arranging the hunts. We are interested in moose/bear/caribou archery. He graduates in 2013 and I am assuming that alot of these outfitter/guides book out atleast 2 years in advance?

Thanks in advance for any info.

meatinthepot

How much do you want to spend? Both of you hunt? Does it have to be archery? AK? Canada? Need more info to help send info your way.

Yes both hunting,yes archery. Can be either AK or Canada. Cost really just trying to see where these types of hunts are at and go from there. Depending on cost we may just do bear but I figure if we are there we may as well try and do a caribou or moose as well.

Black Bear hunts are cheap. Moose hunts are expensive. Moose/caribou hunts are even more. If you go in Canada you must go guided and a quality moose/caribou hunt will be 10k plus at a minimum. You could do a Prince of Wales Island black bear hunt unguided for just a few thousand each. You could do unguided caribou with a small chance of a black bear in AK for a reasonable price. I don't recommend unguided AK moose hunts. Lots of logistical stuff involved and it can be done but it is really tough especially for someone that has never done it before.

There are a lot of moose/black bear hunts in Canada for less than $10,000 and can be had for about $5000 plus travel costs if you shop around. That isn't the yukon giants but nice Canadian moose. Look into British Columbia.

I think if you were willing to drop the Caribou and do moose and black bear you could go for around 5k each and have a great chance of success. Northwest Alberta is where I have experience and would be willing to share info on an outfitter there. P.M. me if you are interested.

I talked with my son last night after hearing the numbers and we both agree that black bear would be our preference. It sounds like doing a couple of animals is going to be out of our budget. Anyone with contacts and experiens please pm or email me at [email protected].

thank you,

meatinthepot

I know the perfect hunt for you. Contact Gene Plihal. The guy is awesome when it comes to Black bear hunting. Perfect for bow hunting. Great accomodations, meals, and especially big big bears and you can shoot two. My friends have gone up there each year for the last three or four years. Four of them went this year and shot 7 bears. The guy that did not shoot two was looking for the king of the woods and had several opportunities at other bears but chose to pass.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom