2013 Public Land Buck

BuckBuster

Well we started the year off good. I've often said that I would rather hunt Mule Deer with a bow than elk. There is just something about trying to outsmart these critters that keeps me coming back. This was my second stalk on this buck over the 7 days we hunted. It started off when I spotted him with some does on a hill side. My buddy Matt(MJM)drove me around the mountain so that I could start my approach. Our plan was to have him go and spot for me but that plan was quickly changed when we drove right through some deer that another friend of ours was stalking. I didn't wanna risk messing it up for him(in case we had not messed it up already.) So I was on my own. About an hour into the stalk I get to the edge of the rim where I thought I had last seen the buck, but no deer were to be seen. As disappointment started to set in I had to remind myself that they were there somewhere and probably moving into the wind. Another 30 minutes goes by as I move that direction, glassing every few steps. Then, finally I spot the buck. I close the distance from 350 to 150 yards as I see a different buck push a doe up and over the hill. I was in the perfect location to make this happen and I knew it! As I'm glassing the remaining does, I pull my binos down and see antlers coming towards me through the bushes! Arrow knocked, almost in disbelief I draw my bow as the buck goes behind a bush. I held it for what seemed like forever as he closed the distance to me. 40, then 30 then 20 yards and closing! I follow him the whole way knowing that at any second he might alert and disappear. Once he gets to 20 yards he lifts his head in my direction and the Muzzy was on it's way. Smack!, I hear it hit as the buck drops and gets back up and runs past me at 10 yards. He falls over again long enough for me so slip another Muzzy behind the shoulder. I had done it, I had outsmarted this buck and his does at their own game. Relief sets in as I thank the Lord for this amazing creature. Thanks to my huntin' buddies Matt, Steven, and my brother Dustin for a great time! I can't wait until next year.
JB
4680img_2231.jpg

15592013buck.jpg

2015img_2224.jpg

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom