2014 Breaks Bison Harvest Records

gznokes

Very Active Member
Not surprised to see this. The Bison hunt was insane up in Jackson this year.

http://m.jhnewsandguide.com/jackson...88e-9550-5331-9d06-319ee7063937.html?mode=jqm

MT_Grizz.jpg

What do you think the reason was? I'm headed to Kelly snowmobiling next week and looking at all the snotels it seems to have been a really average year.

I guess I don't see what moved them.

Stay thirsty my friends

I hunted cow bison in the refuge in late December. I was told after some initial snow then a thaw in the park, it froze hard, and the bison could not get to the grass. Seemed reasonable. From what I could see in December anyone who had refuge access permission punched their tag. NMChem

My buddy in Sheridan drew a bull tag and most of the good bulls were still up high in the Parks the middle of November on his first hunt. Then a good snow hit toward the end of the month and first few days of December and all the Bison, elk, and sheep came down out of the high country and have stayed because of what NMC stated. Almost everyone ended up filling their tags after they came down and John got a nice bull on his second hunt around 12/16 or so.

My Son had the tag also this year. December was cold with above normal snow pack. The combination was all that was needed to make for great hunting. I just returned from Jackson today and it's warm and it looks like very little snow since we were there in Dec. I have never seen more elk in/around the refuge in the last 20+ years.

I think by forcing people to buy the tag up front instead of being optional, really made people hunt harder and spend more time up there.

Weather was probably helpful also, but wasn't one of the lucky ones to draw, so I can't say on that. Maybe this year!

py

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom