2014 Elk hunt.

mickeyelk

Very Active Member
Looking for some info from all you hunters who hunt Wyoming elk. I have max bonus points and would like to draw a hunt this year. I can hunt only the time period from Oct 12 to Oct 25. I'm looking into unit 7 and have also seen Eastsman selected choices. In the past I have applied for unit 31 to no avail. Have been doing this for the past 15 years. I'm tired of waiting. Was going to do the hunt DIY but have decided to go guided. Have any guide recommendations for unit 7 or any good unit with the possible of taken a 330 type bull? Please advise. Kerry

LAST EDITED ON Dec-31-13 AT 02:10PM (MST)[p]IMHO if I had max PPs and wanted a hunt that is basicly guaranteed to draw based on last year's stats, I'd put in for unit 45 on the west side of the BigHorns. You can do it DIY and have a good chance at a bull like you mentioned or better. If you want to go into the unit guided that could get you way up into the wilderness area on horseback. I can't help you with that end of it, but I think someone probably can help you out on that or a search could come up with one. If I can find my latest booklet from the Outfitters Association, I'll look in it and get back to you if I can come up with any names.

I don't know what you're budget is but Wagonhound Land @ Cattle has a great operation,and 350 plus Bulls are not out of the question. Good Luck..

If money is no object, Wagonhound does kill some dandy bulls. You'll have to part with pert near 9k though.

Go to this website page and request the free Wyoming Outdoors magazine which basically has every outfitters info and pictures from last season.. Just a good way to see the potential...Wagonhound definitely takes some big ones each year...a 390 this past season in archery...If you are more interested in a Backcountry horseback type hunt guided I would look into the Late 59 hunt which produces great bulls and I dont know the odds as I am a resident, but with max points you should draw or have a very high chance. Here is the website... http://www.wyoga.org/request-wyoming-outdoors-magazine.php

LAST EDITED ON Dec-31-13 AT 07:59PM (MST)[p]I thought I had put up a good one for 45, but even though they are based in Hyattville I found after reading all their website information that their elk hunts are in the Wind River area.

Topgun
If you are refering to Paint Rock Outfitters? he has a hunt in the wind river / Dubois area and one in the Bighorns as well, two camps, or at lest he did until recently.

LAST EDITED ON Jan-01-14 AT 08:18AM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Jan-01-14 AT 08:16?AM (MST)

>Topgun
>If you are refering to Paint
>Rock Outfitters? he has a
>hunt in the wind river
>/ Dubois area and one
>in the Bighorns as well,
>two camps, or at lest
>he did until recently.

*** Yes, that is what I had up in my previous post and when I went further into their website it appeared that the only elk camp he runs is down where you stated and that possibly only trail rides and sightseeing/fishing trips in the summer are being offered in the BigHorns. There is a statement at the top of the main page showing they hunt unit 45, so it could be investigated by the OP. It looks like a real good operation to get with if unit 45 is chosen and if he wants to go guided and they do that elk unit hunt.

Ram187, contact JJ at Wapati Ridge Outfitters for 59. pm me if you want more information.

Rusty Boogers and Todd Jones both do a great job in 45. I've hunted with Rusty and I heard nothing but good about Todd.

Stay thirsty my friends

Thanks for the replies. Wagonhound is way more than I want to pay for a guided hunt (7-10K). 4-6K is what I have hoped to pay for these hunts. 440 6pack, what is the outfitter name? I haven't looked into 45 for the dates as of this reading. I will check on it. Mid October is my planned vacation from work so I have to stick to it. I maybe able to go the first 2 weeks of November but I have to check. Any other outfitters in unit 7 worth checking? Any other units that will fit my request for a 330 bull? Thanks again guys any info is appreciated. Kerry

According to my 2012 Regs for Unit 45-1 the dates for Elk are Oct 15th to Nov 4th in 2012.

Brian
http://i44.tinypic.com/es7x8z.jpg[/IMG]

>According to my 2012 Regs for
>Unit 45-1 the dates for
>Elk are Oct 15th to
>Nov 4th in 2012.
>
>Brian
>http://i44.tinypic.com/es7x8z.jpg[/IMG]

***Those were the same dates for 2013 and there were 350 Type 1 tags issued last year. With a $35 archery permit those who drew those tags could also hunt the 9/15-9/30 special archery season on that tag. The website for Paint Rock that Todd Jones runs is: www.paintrock.com It looks like a well run operation and the prices are well within what you mentioned for a guided elk hunt. 45 has the potential for a 350" or bigger bull if you're in the right place at the right time.

LAST EDITED ON Jan-01-14 AT 02:06PM (MST)[p]

Rusty's business name is A Double J outfitters. whatever he tells you you can take to the bank. you won't find a more honest straight forward guy.

If a 330+ bull is your goal I would have to say in the Bighorn Mt units that's very doable, but that's not going to be easy.

Myself I would not even consider burning max points in 45 or any similar unit. less than max go for it, but max points no way. pick one of the hard draws east of the park , even if it takes you a few more years you won't regret it. you will have to have an outfitter in most of them though, not much choice. if you just have to hunt WY this year put in for your hard draw hunt as first choice and a general tag as your second in the special draw. it may not work this year but it has been.

Stay thirsty my friends

Elk Mountain Outfitters and Triple Creek Hunts both offer hunts in Area 7 for less than $6,000. They are private land one on one hunts. Season usually opens around October 15th, a 320-330 should be a reasonable goal, 350 is possible but I think they are the exception.

Triple Creek Hunts is ICMDEER that posts on this site. I think there are a couple of more outfitters In Area 7 other than Wagonhound but I Don't have their names.

I agree that Elk mountain in area 7 is top notch.

Also Bob Sundean, Trails West Outfitters, area 61, wilderness hunt 90% success, Oct1-20, lots of elk, 90% chance to see grizz.

from the "Heartland of Wyoming"

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom