2015 public land did it myself success

alinrut

LAST EDITED ON Nov-06-15 AT 07:12AM (MST) by Founder (admin)[p]http://www.monstermuleys.info/photos/user_photos3/2652c.jpg

5075c1.jpg

7213c2.jpg

4352c4.jpg

So, it finally came and went, 2015 Muzzy week was spent with my Colorado family and my long time child hood friend, from out of state... I made a lot of promises and was able to keep most, I promised high aspen meadows and the deep dark timber that most people only see in pictures.... I promised good company and good friends, as well as bugling elk and the thrill of the hunt.? Eric and I hunted hard every day and every day we were into elk... we even had a big bull at 5yrds and didnt get a shot on him...(its true, sadly, my gun was at my side, I heard a hoof and looked over my shoulder just in time to see a bull trotting right at me... he literally put the skids on and stopped about 5 yards away when he saw me..... my friend saw me frozen and thinking it was close but not that close poked his head around the tree and into his eyes as he was flaring his nostrils trying to smell us... hell, we even got a good strong wiff of that cologn the elk put on themselves for the ladies!!!?We were both frozen and I was committed to letting him take the shot, my buddy froze for to long and learned why I call elk "ghosts" Ultimately we were able to put it all together (thank God for the chance and our success)and a quick cow call had a "toad"
coming to us, at 20 yards, in the excitement and heat of the moment all thought processes and common sense went out the window and together we were able to harvest this awesome bull.....In the end, we will look back, and share some fond memories, we will probably argue over a thing or two until the day we die.... I know I frustrated him at times, but I also know I was able to deliver on almost all of my promises and I am truly sorry for the ones I let him down on, but I also dont regret one minute of our hunt together with the best friend of my life!!!? Cant wait until our next hunt!! Thanks for reading, thanks in advance for comments and good luck to ya'll out there!!

Sorry the pictures are sideways, I cant modify that.... and a side plug.... Mile High Note game calls out of Loveland,Co.... I highly recommend the Antagonizer tube and their double reed call.... look them up and give him a chance!!!

LAST EDITED ON Sep-27-15 AT 06:22PM (MST)[p]Great bull and great story! Sounds like you had a real adventure! Hope I am as lucky later this year. One comment, if you pack antlers out upright like that, take some orange flagging and tie on them. Some people could mistake that for a real elk even with the orange cap :)

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

TXHunter,

Thanks for the congrat's and wanted to let know that I never did get BH 209 to work right with my muzzy....

As your opinion is appreciated and valued, I completely agree with the orange tape on the antlers. Believe it or not, we did have tape on it, we stopped and took it off for the photo op, (last 50 yards before the horses) and then we put the tape back on when we put it on the horses.

I agree and believe in safety 100%!!!

Thanks, and no limb to go out on....
this kid has been hooked, still is hooked and will never stop being hooked!!

I love hunting!!! Especially elk during muzzy season!!!

Nice Bull, congratulations. I'd say you kept your promises to your friend. One thing; I'd probably pack the elk antlers out of the woods with the points facing downward with a little orange drapped over them. Looks a little dangerous.

Thanks, we did have orange around the antlers... this was the last 50 yrds or so before the horses..and I stopped and took it off for the photo op..... then we put the orange tape back on for the horses....

Looks like you found a powder and bullet that worked! Great shot placement too, bet he didn't go far.

Looking at those pictures brings back memories of that moment when you get him back to the horse/truck. That all in, I can't take one more step total elation that comes with bringing one in! And knowing that the mountain AND you won on that day! Congrats!

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

txhunter.....

Yes, Pyrodex works great!!! and I agree on the shot, he only went about 50 yards, we didn't see him go down.... but we heard his "final bugle".... it sounded weird and faded away!!! Craziest thing I ever heard!!!

And yes, I was absolutely finished when we had gotten to the horses.... it was our 3d trip in and back out. I sat down and had him take the orange tape off and immediately regretted it when I tried to get back up!!! the legs were finished!!! no more gas in the tank!!! but I wasn't taking the rack, head and cape off my back until I got to the horses!!

it was awesome!!!!

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom