2022 elk

Wyogstew1

I was looking at the elk map on the hunt planner and it appears it is updated for next year. It is showing area 2 is going to be a general unit. Not sure if that's right but it's definitely an interesting change.

I was looking at the elk map on the hunt planner and it appears it is updated for next year. It is showing area 2 is going to be a general unit. Not sure if that's right but it's definitely an interesting change.
That is what is being proposed at this time.

ClearCreek

We work and hunt in an area that went from LQ to general and it is about the same, mostly private where the elk are. Major issue with landowners was drawing tags for those they gave permission to hunt so they thought general would be better. We buy our tags OTC now but the hunting sure has changed, way more pressure and issues with trespassing. Hope it works out for them.

correct me if I'm wrong....but Fort Creek has roughly 400 head of elk? Maybe I'm mistaken. How does the state justify a general tag with a pretty small population? Even with a 40:100 ratio, that doesn't seem like a strategy to keep it a trophy unit....or do they want to cut this population way, way back?

correct me if I'm wrong....but Fort Creek has roughly 400 head of elk? Maybe I'm mistaken. How does the state justify a general tag with a pretty small population? Even with a 40:100 ratio, that doesn't seem like a strategy to keep it a trophy unit....or do they want to cut this population way, way back?
Landowners control most of the access to the area. They are controlling most of the harvest too.

And areas are managed as either Special or Recreation, no Trophy designation.

well, I don't know how bad it would be to horseback into the Fort Creek wilderness area...its 6-10 miles from what I can make out of it. I did chat with the game biologist who ran that unit and she said those bulls get back into those remote drainages. Maybe it's time to saddle up and go find a bull or two on public land. Maybe find a big deer in there as well.

or rent a chopper and pilot!....Even easier. That's how they did/do their counts in that country from what heather said. Fly/land right into the dead center of the place! That'll drive ranchers nuts...watching The public enjoying their public lands and harvesting their bulls.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom