2023 big game brochure

I just looked at the regs for 2023 and first thing I noticed was that Cow tags are now 720 each.
Wow, they slipped that one in without much fanfare. I suspect they did this to try and raise the percentage of residents that get drawn for cow tags. They decided to follow the pricing for female deer (same a bucks). That essentially allows residents get virtually all the doe deer tags. Will be interesting to see how this affects numbers of NRs who apply for/ buy a cow tag. I feel sure it will lower NR cow applications. I have hunted cows many times but will have to consider if I want to at that price. Advantage residents.

Another consequence of the cow tag price increase: more NRs hunting bulls. That will mean even more bull tags sold/bulls killed. More pressure on an already lower number of bulls in many areas. It would be much better for the resource, and the crowding in the woods, to just limit all elk tags

But instead, what they are doing is maintaining their income at the expense of elk numbers and bull/ cow ratios. I actually had a CPW person tell me they just need 10 bulls per 100 cows to maintain breeding rates in the area I hunt.

Throw wolves into the mix and you really have a formula for the end of decent elk hunting in CO.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom