2023 Mule Deer Harvest data

BrianID

Very Active Member
2023 harvest data is available on the F&G website.

We all knew it wasn't good but it is sad to see the actual numbers. 2022 wasn't a great year for deer in most areas but compared to 2023 it was night and day. Deer killed was 100% to 200% less in most SE Idaho units in 2023 vs 2022. I haven't gone through and analyzed all the numbers but from what I've initially seen, this is the lowest number of bucks I've seen reported killed in almost any of the SE Idaho units in more than 30 years. 2023 was probably the lowest number of deer killed in SE Idaho in 80 or 100 years.

In unit 76 the data shows only 243 bucks killed on general rifle hunt last year. In a good year unit 76 has produced close to 2000 bucks.

In unit 75 only 65 bucks killed. In a good year unit 75 can produce close to 500 bucks.

This winter hasn't been easy for the deer either but better than last year and there wasn't as much competition on the winter range with other deer compared to last year. I'm optimistic that the deer mortality this winter wasn't too bad but it is going to take several favorable years for the deer to recover.

Thanks for posting.
I didn't see a ton of dink bucks last year but I did see a few high quality bucks which was nice.
The cycle continues to spin.
Hopefully we are on a quality uptick.

At least someone saw some nice bucks. I didn't see a single older buck in about 7 days of hunting in October in 2023. I did see a few decent bucks before October and some after the season closed but I would estimate the deer population in 2023 in many areas was only 25% of what it was in 2022. Very sad to see the population so bad. Fortunately many die hard hunters I know did the same thing I did last year. They decided to give the deer a break and decided not to kill a mule deer last year.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom