2023 Mule Deer Hunt advice

matchbook454

I’m wanting to plan a rifle Mule Deer hunt for 2023 and was hoping to hunt WY. I just hunted Antelope in WY this past season and have an outfitter that I really like as well as will have 4 PP’s going into 2023. However with drought and EHD I’m a little bit concerned about hunting WY at that time, especially the Casper area. I’m wondering if I should be looking at another state such as Colorado, Montana, or SD. I would have 2 points for MT, 2 for SD, and 1 for Colorado so I’m not sure what my odds are there? Should I be looking at Idaho as well? I will also be planning on hunting with an outfitter due to several reasons but would like to keep the cost under $5k. Just looking for a little advice as well as some outfitter recommendations. I’m also not set on a 200” buck but a good chance at a 160-170” deer would be nice and I wouldn’t pout over shooting a 150”. Just looking for a nice looking buck.

Last edited:
2 points and 5k could get you a unit 72 3rd season tag in Colorado. There are plenty of outfitters that can get you an160 on private.

You probably don't want to do that. It's hard to kill a 170" buck on the heneries. At least that's what I'm being told.
I’m assuming that was generals? Thanks. I did see a 160-170 while Antelope hunting in WY this past season. Really wish I had a deer tag. I know the area I hunted has nice deer but after this drought and EHD I’m just worried about the number of mature bucks 2 years from now. The outfitter was great too.

EHD usually doesn’t have a significant impact on mule deer populations. Much of the West has had varying degrees of drought the last few years. Neither of those would keep me from hunting Wyoming. Finding a good outfitter with a good track record is what I would be looking for. A lot of outfitters in Wyoming that kill 150 deer for five grand. But I don’t have a recommendation for you.

You have enough points to draw most of the private ranches in central and eastern Wyoming. Good outfitters book up fast. You should be booking your hunt now for 2023.

Just curious as to why you aren’t looking to go with the outfitter you hunted antelope with?

I’m assuming that was generals? Thanks. I did see a 160-170 while Antelope hunting in WY this past season. Really wish I had a deer tag. I know the area I hunted has nice deer but after this drought and EHD I’m just worried about the number of mature bucks 2 years from now. The outfitter was great too.
If you like the outfitter in WY, why don't you keep in touch with him in the future and see how the deer are looking? An honest outfitter will give you an honest answer.

So let me get this straight. First I’m assuming you have a not one but several walls full of 200” deer hanging, congrats! Second, your parents are first cousins at most. Third, you have nothing better to do but make dipshit remarks on a forum when someone is looking for a little advice and to strike up good conversation. Go crawl back under your rock.
I get pretty good WiFi from under my rock. I never crawled out

In Kansas you have to draw the whitetail tag first and then you can draw for the mule deer tag. Zero to 2 points for the whitetail but one chance in 6 or 8 for the mule deer tag. If you don’t draw the mule deer tag you have paid for a whitetail tag you may or may not want.

Some people draw and just eat the whitetail tag fee every year trying for the mule deer tag because there are 200 inch bucks there.

What is EHD?

EHD usually doesn’t have a significant impact on mule deer populations. Much of the West has had varying degrees of drought the last few years. Neither of those would keep me from hunting Wyoming. Finding a good outfitter with a good track record is what I would be looking for. A lot of outfitters in Wyoming that kill 150 deer for five grand. But I don’t have a recommendation for you.

You have enough points to draw most of the private ranches in central and eastern Wyoming. Good outfitters book up fast. You should be booking your hunt now for 2023.

Just curious as to why you aren’t looking to go with the outfitter you hunted antelope with?
Thanks for your advice. I’m just looking to see what other options there are. I’m thinking that I will most likely go back to WY with the same outfitter. I’m pretty sure he’d give me an honest answer too as to what to expect and how the deer herd is looking. I do know they had 100% success this past season.

If you like the outfitter in WY, why don't you keep in touch with him in the future and see how the deer are looking? An honest outfitter will give you an honest answer.
I am keeping in touch with him and will reach out to him after the new year. I’d definitely hunt with him again but just wasn’t sure 2023 would be the best year to do that. I probably will go hunt with him then though. Although it was my first hunt out west I’ve done several waterfowl hunts and some bear hunts from Canada to Louisiana and this was the best time I’ve ever had. Just an all around great trip.

Stay right where you are in Wyoming, there are still some good Bucks in that country, especially if your with an outfitter, and possibly private ranches

Stay right where you are in Wyoming, there are still some good Bucks in that country, especially if your with an outfitter, and possibly private ranches
I just emailed the outfitter. He’s cut the number of hunts and said with 4 points I should have 100% odds of drawing a good limited entry tag for one of his ranches. Sounds like he’s doing the right thing and I have good odds. I think I’m gonna go back to WY and hunt with him.

Smart move, It sounds like you like the outfitter, sound management is key on private ranches. I know some good old boys out in that country and it is still the west, tough,windy and lonely. The problem now days is the competition in Idaho, Utah,Colorado and a 180 class Deer is Tops. Have you seen some nice Bucks with this outfitter

Smart move, It sounds like you like the outfitter, sound management is key on private ranches. I know some good old boys out in that country and it is still the west, tough,windy and lonely. The problem now days is the competition in Idaho, Utah,Colorado and a 180 class Deer is Tops. Have you seen some nice Bucks with this outfitter
I just hunted with him once this past Oct.. I shot a nice (not a monster but I’m happy) Antelope buck the first morning with him. 70-1/8”. We saw some Mule deer that morning and 2 really nice 160-170” bucks minutes before I got my Antelope. Wish I had a deer tag!!! So, I know they’re there. How many I have no idea but he did just tell me that is not an unreasonable expectation as they shoot larger too but also some smaller. It’s a reasonable goal but I know hunting is hunting and nothing is guaranteed. Just like to know what to expect.

I would not be concerned at all with EHD. I also wouldn't worry about drought conditions two years from now either. Antler growth conditions change from year to year.
Thanks. I was mostly concerned with the EHD and then the drought having terminal effects on the older bucks affecting numbers/herd size and not necessarily antler growth. Funny you mentioned that though. I have a 167” Whitetail that I took 17 years ago. It was during a dry year. We had him on trail cam and saw him 3 years in a row prior to shooting him. He was close to the same if not bigger the year before and he was 5-1/2. Still should not have been on the decline.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom