2023 NV Desert sheep update

Syncerus1

G'day all. In case you missed it I thought I would update the hunt I drew last year for my Desert Bighorn. The unit I drew in 2023 was way over subscribed by way of NV authorized tag allocation. I was told by the senior biologist there were around 700 animals in population in the 2 distinct mountain ranges. Previous hunters also said, lots or rams. In my experience in the unit for more that 30 plus days, with lots of very qualified help, I can say that was not the case. Total population was around a max of 100 sheep in each respective mountain range. We worked hard to find and kill a high 160's ram. Only laid eyes on one. Focused on him for better than 10 days. Killed a respectable sheep, but not what I expected. Had every moment to enjoy the experience to the fullest, and we did! Fast forward to NV Hunt allocations for 2024. Same unit last year had 13 total permits, one of which was a NR (my) permit. This year 4 total permits, including 1 NR permit. I guess the reality of the '22/'23 winter finally was recognized. Glad to see NV stepping up and focusing on the game.
I have include a few pix of my finished mount. I love it, and it has the added benefit of being able to pick it up and hold it.

Close up side.jpeg
Left rear quarter.jpeg

That’s awesome looks great congrats! Nothing like being able to pick up and feel the weight and mass of those horns…

Horniac

Eyeman, it is a Table hooker from Skull Hooker. You must ASK for the Sheep Prong. It is bigger than the standard prong - wider and a bit deeper. I mounted it to a 1.18 inch Marble sink cutout. Usually available at most granite installers. Mine was from a sink we did many years ago, Marble is called Black Walnut. Total cost less than $95, finished with edge honed/done. Glad you liked it!

Very nice mount. Looks like the success rate was 100% in your unit. Thinking they might be lowering tags to get a higher age class possibly

MD58 that is possibly one desirable result, but in general my observations were their herd estimates were/are mythical. We had up to 11 very capable guys/gals who covered more of each mountain range, with the exception of one no go area. We counted all sheep, trying not to double count any, and we documented less than a third of the sheep represented. Total rams were less than 22 >5 year olds,,, It was a great experience never the less!

Congratulations that’s a great ram and great way to display it! Looks like you have lots on the wall already.

Thanks all! I had it in my mind to do this type of mount, if I was able to take one. I'm out of room for mounts with over 50 from all members of the family. Plus I really like the ability to pick up the head and marvel at the weight these wonderful creatures carry every day!

Eyeman, it is a Table hooker from Skull Hooker. You must ASK for the Sheep Prong. It is bigger than the standard prong - wider and a bit deeper. I mounted it to a 1.18 inch Marble sink cutout. Usually available at most granite installers. Mine was from a sink we did many years ago, Marble is called Black Walnut. Total cost less than $95, finished with edge honed/done. Glad you liked it!
Wow, that’s great. Total cost of less than $95? You must’ve got the euro mount done for free!
Looks great! Did you do it yourself?

Cost separate base from Euro. Euro cost $200 with dermestids, degrease, dry... apologies for confusion. Total all in Euro and base <$295... Glad you like it!

I helped on a hunt in that unit when there were probably 800-1000 sheep on those two ranges, so no doubt my information was NOT helpful. Sorry it was a struggle, but I'm really happy you found that ram to bring home with you. It looks great!
I've had a couple of hunts like that where everyone tells you there are trophies everywhere, and you experience the opposite. I'm glad to see NV has responded appropriately in tag allocations.
Well done Syncerus1.

LBH thank you for all your assistance and great info! Results rarely match expectations, and there is NO substitute for boots on the ground. The overall experience, though tough, was overall very satisfying. The interaction with friends, new and old, the laughs, drama, were priceless. I want to do it again, though not likely, in this lifetime!

Can’t wait to get my 2023 desert ram back from Wildlife Revolutions in Reno. Maybe by July or August. Having a shoulder mount with habitat. It was a pretty exciting season for sure
For sure we want to see the end product.
LBH thank you for all your assistance and great info! Results rarely match expectations, and there is NO substitute for boots on the ground. The overall experience, though tough, was overall very satisfying. The interaction with friends, new and old, the laughs, drama, were priceless. I want to do it again, though not likely, in this lifetime!
Both you guys endured some real setbacks but you did it the right way.
Every sheep hunt should be a wild, unforgettable adventure!
Well done guys.

LBH thanks. Really appreciate all the info you gave me. It truly was an incredible adventure. I think about that sheep season almost everyday. Sure would be nice to go on another one but I’m not that lucky. But I’m hopeful maybe a friend can draw and I can go help some.

LBH thank you for the kind words, Sir! We vneed to get together!
MD58 most of the current 50+ mounts were done by my good friend and Master Taxidermist Sam Raby. Sam left us last September. He is missed every day... we co-developed some of the forms together. He was a true gentle giant, except when you saw his Basque heritage get a bit out of sorts!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom