hossblur

Long Time Member
Ours started great. Geese were falling nearly every day

IMG_20221226_074548.jpg
t
IMG_20221225_082130.jpg
IMG20230218173818.jpg
IMG_20221227_090647.jpg

Then the failure of winter, fun to see the elk, sad to see more and more dead each week.
IMG20230228175405.jpg
IMG20230219173336.jpg

The failure of late spring early summer keeping us out of the mtn
IMG20230430083306.jpg

The failure of the draws. The success of getting elk tags(the DWR should be applauded for figuring it out)

Archery failure (although only in arrowing a deer, being in the mtn with boys is always a success)

Muzzy deer, success on both fronts
IMG_20230929_162519_01.jpg

As for other deer or elk, failure by me and my youngest. Saw deer, had chances, didn't capitalize. Plus, we hunt elk on n slope 😉

Success again, and again, the DWR gets applause for ending the foolishness of targeting trumpeters
IMG20231105065620.jpg

Brings me to today. As I'm laying here in the decoys freezing, the waterfowl season is not great this year.

In summary for us, 2023 was pretty avg. Sure was happy to finally get rid of snow,(now as we are worried about not having any). Seeing the elk on the red rocks in the late winter was beautiful, yet at the same time heartbreaking knowing why they were there. Like a lot of dudes, I expected all that snow to equal huge antler growth, but looks like that was wrong. I think it screwed the waterfowl as well, the early nesters I think struggled with piles of snow on the ground.

I turn 50 this year, and the decades of construction are starting to accumulate on the body, but the success is I watched my now 18 yr old, and now 13 yr old work together to create opportunities for both of them, without dad having to set it up for them. So major success.
IMG20231224080310.jpg

Called in my wife and I’s first bull elk, which is an improvement to calf calling some cows in last year. Basically caught the rut right when it fired up. When I belted out a location bugle in the dark and heard the eruption, we new it was going to be an awesome day.

Learned a ton! Full on bugles and aggressive racking of trees and cow calls had a bull running up a long ridge to us. Called him with in 80 yards but never would come out of the Timber. Great memories.

Archery was fun and challenging/ frustrating with the recurve. Closer and closer to buying a compound lol. Got close to but never got a chance to loose and arrow. Got my first 4x4 opening day of rifle where I was in the deer during archery and look forward to holding off for an older mule deer or a nice framed whitetail.

Had another daughter 3 days after that 4x4. Kinda of a whirlwind. After the family was settled and taking a nap a snuck out to hook a nice brown. For the buck, baby and a brown in one week ahaha

IMG_1397.jpeg

Got my buddy his first elk this year which was a super fun hunt and a soul breaking pack out with 100lbs packs plus a meat pole hanging a quarter between us. He ended up being a ton of helping tying up loose ends with the house to be more relaxed with the baby. He helped around the house while I was at work and did some electrical work for trade.

Now just getting the ski season started and waiting for that snow/weather for skiing and to try and get a cow elk in the shoulder season.

Last edited:
Failure For Me!

20+ PISSCUTTER Bulls!

Had A Couple Of them At 6 Yards!

But Had Fun Eating My Tag!

And Speaking Of Tags Hossy?

You Want This Tag Cut Up In A Can Of TAG SOUP?

Or What Flavor Do You Prefer?

View attachment 130967tView attachment 130968View attachment 130971View attachment 130966

Then the failure of winter, fun to see the elk, sad to see more and more dead each week.View attachment 130969View attachment 130970

The failure of late spring early summer keeping us out of the mtnView attachment 130972

The failure of the draws. The success of getting elk tags(the DWR should be applauded for figuring it out)

Archery failure (although only in arrowing a deer, being in the mtn with boys is always a success)

Muzzy deer, success on both frontsView attachment 130973

As for other deer or elk, failure by me and my youngest. Saw deer, had chances, didn't capitalize. Plus, we hunt elk on n slope 😉

Success again, and again, the DWR gets applause for ending the foolishness of targeting trumpeters
View attachment 130974

Brings me to today. As I'm laying here in the decoys freezing, the waterfowl season is not great this year.

In summary for us, 2023 was pretty avg. Sure was happy to finally get rid of snow,(now as we are worried about not having any). Seeing the elk on the red rocks in the late winter was beautiful, yet at the same time heartbreaking knowing why they were there. Like a lot of dudes, I expected all that snow to equal huge antler growth, but looks like that was wrong. I think it screwed the waterfowl as well, the early nesters I think struggled with piles of snow on the ground.

I turn 50 this year, and the decades of construction are starting to accumulate on the body, but the success is I watched my now 18 yr old, and now 13 yr old work together to create opportunities for both of them, without dad having to set it up for them. So major success. View attachment 130975
Great stuff Hossy! Thanks for sharing!

It’s been a fun year. I failed to fill my antelope tag. Great stalks and plenty of opportunities. Had a great elk hunt and was done early on the opener. THEN, heading to deer hunt , I hit a deer 1st time in all my years hunting and hundreds of thousands traveled - got slowed down enough I just clipped the last doe. Took me out of my game and well I flat out missed an easy shot and my son had fun watching me miss when I usually do not.
Water-fowling has been good too.
All the best to all you MMers in 2024 and happy new year!

IMG_4296.jpeg

IMG_4740.jpeg

IMG_4149.jpeg

IMG_4015.jpeg

IMG_0214.jpeg

we started out early spring with a couple floats on the local trout river. Then of to Craig Montana to fish the MO for a couple days.

Mid summer was spent throwing the big bugs and a couple scouting trips to WY for a buddies deer tag.

I spent 6 days on that deer hunt in mid September and saw just how bad the winter kill was.

October started with a neighbor kid with a bull tag, a Mtn Lion kill while scouting for deer and ended with my rifle bull tag. Throw in a few pheasant hunts with a new dog and a very poor year for birds.

November was for late season cow hunts and glassing for a couple buddies with late deer tags.

December is for ice fishing and planning for next years adventures.

IMG_9765.jpeg

IMG_9767.jpeg

IMG_9764.jpeg

IMG_9769.jpeg

IMG_9771.jpeg

IMG_9774.jpeg

IMG_9775.jpeg

IMG_9778.jpeg

2023, first year in my life ( well hunting life) I didn’t punch a big game tag. Could have filled every one I had in my pocket but nothing I saw , buck,bull,or bear did it for me.

Had a great year in mountains and a bunch of time spent with my favorite person to hunt with. Me. So I consider it a success

View attachment 130967tView attachment 130968View attachment 130971View attachment 130966

Then the failure of winter, fun to see the elk, sad to see more and more dead each week.View attachment 130969View attachment 130970

The failure of late spring early summer keeping us out of the mtnView attachment 130972

Muzzy deer, success on both frontsView attachment 130973

View attachment 130974

I turn 50 this year, and the decades of construction are starting to accumulate on the body, but the success is I watched my now 18 yr old, and now 13 yr old work together to create opportunities for both of them, without dad having to set it up for them. So major success. View attachment 130975
Looks like a great year Hossblur
Congrats🥳

I have had a successful & Blessed year personally. My year started out going home to MS to get after some Easterns by myself, then I went to OR with some friends to hunt some Rio’s.

Next was a few kayak trips with my wife on the CO river.

Next up was helping my nephew on his doe antelope hunt.

After that was my elk hunt here in NV.

Then I wrapped up my season back home in MS hunting whitetails & spending Thanksgiving with the family.

My only failure for the year was leaving my AZ archery OTC tag sitting in the safe & never going out to chase muleys with my bow. I devoted so much time to my elk hunt that I never took my bow out to practice. I just couldn’t bring myself to go hunting without putting in the time to knock the dust off of my arrows.

IMG_6656.jpeg
IMG_6934.jpeg
IMG_7634.jpeg
IMG_8476.jpeg
IMG_9494.jpeg
IMG_9406.jpeg

IMG_9661.jpeg

IMG_7015.jpeg

IMG_8497.jpeg

Archery elk was an absolute failure. Equipment failure on a big bull at 25 yards. My own dumb fault for not double checking my Equipment. I had 11 bulls in archery range during season but screwed up on the big one.

Massive success for my boys first big game hunting season.
First mule deer in the same valley I killed my first Wyoming mule in a few years ago. 475 yards with 6.5 prc.
First elk with my boy at 375 yards with the same 6.5 prc that he is now claiming as his gun.

20230927_062957.jpg

20231030_142335.jpg

71253.jpeg

Archery elk was an absolute failure. Equipment failure on a big bull at 25 yards. My own dumb fault for not double checking my Equipment. I had 11 bulls in archery range during season but screwed up on the big one.

Massive success for my boys first big game hunting season.
First mule deer in the same valley I killed my first Wyoming mule in a few years ago. 475 yards with 6.5 prc.
First elk with my boy at 375 yards with the same 6.5 prc that he is now claiming as his gun.
Congratulations to your son, that’s awesome!
You know that’s his rifle now… I’m sure he would let you borrow it. Lol

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom