2023 TROPHY REPORT???

elkassassin

Long Time Member
Wondering How Opening Day Went For Everybody?

Good?

Bad?

Different?

Any Pics?

Good Luck & Stay Safe Out There!

My wife shot a big, old 2x3 this morning at first light. Then a young lady accompanied by her father, shot a spike, her first deer, that fell 50 yards from my wife’s buck. The only 2 live bucks I saw this morning died within the first 20 minutes of shooting light. I did see quite a few 2 points on ATVs headed down the road by camp this afternoon. The little guys definitely took a beating this morning.

Had A PISSCUTTER/Pet In The Yard this Morning!

Seen a 3 Point & a 4 Point This Evening!

That's About It For Me!
Thanks for responding, i assume you are hunting Utah, if so I hope you find what you are looking for. I am not hunting Utah but will be going to Colorado in a couple weeks and can let you know how that goes,

Mark

Mentoring my tag to my 16 year old daughter for her first hunt ever of any type. She has deer, elk, duck, and pheasant hunted with me for many years, but never had a desire to have a gun in her hand herself until a week ago. So here we go!

Final tally:

33 deer
5 bucks

One was probably a 3 year old buck. Two were 2 year old bucks. 2 were probably yearlings.

No shot opportunities due to her limited abilities at this point. I could have killed 4 of the 5 bucks from where we were sitting. She isn’t going to take those shots at this point. We need to get her pretty close for a realistic shot until she can get more practice. Two of the bucks were shot as we were trying to get closer each time. Oh well…that’s public land hunting. Nobody did anything wrong, they just were in better positions than us to kill in each of our circumstances. I made sure she didn’t get discouraged and we just rolled with it.

Great day with my daughter. She’s already talking about Monday going again! So I’ll call it a win. A very successful win.

Hey Niller!

Sounds Like You Were In The Deer!

Too Bad There Wasn't A Little Less Orange Around!

Sending You & Your Daughter The BEST Of Luck!

Mentoring my tag to my 16 year old daughter for her first hunt ever of any type. She has deer, elk, duck, and pheasant hunted with me for many years, but never had a desire to have a gun in her hand herself until a week ago. So here we go!

Final tally:

33 deer
5 bucks

One was probably a 3 year old buck. Two were 2 year old bucks. 2 were probably yearlings.

No shot opportunities due to her limited abilities at this point. I could have killed 4 of the 5 bucks from where we were sitting. She isn’t going to take those shots at this point. We need to get her pretty close for a realistic shot until she can get more practice. Two of the bucks were shot as we were trying to get closer each time. Oh well…that’s public land hunting. Nobody did anything wrong, they just were in better positions than us to kill in each of our circumstances. I made sure she didn’t get discouraged and we just rolled with it.

Great day with my daughter. She’s already talking about Monday going again! So I’ll call it a win. A very successful win.

Final tally:

33 deer
5 bucks

This is what hunting is all about. It’s pretty tough getting an inexperienced youngster in the right spot for the shot but I can assure you from personal experience that no trophy you have ever shot will compare to the buck or bull you favorite hunting buddy takes as their first!

Good luck to your daughter!

790FB4BA-B13E-4807-89FB-451DEB3A6F08.jpeg

Went great for us. My daughter made a perfect shot on her biggest buck yet. General season UT public land, no less. I’ll try to make a post on it soon. Was a buck I had gotten a lot of video of in September during the muzzleloader hunt, but didn’t get a shot at. Really didn’t think we’d find it again during the rifle, or beat out the pumpkin patch. The stars aligned, along with a solid strategy.

47C1AB99-947B-475C-973E-DEC9D4DED519.jpeg

View attachment 123709
Went great for us. My daughter made a perfect shot on her biggest buck yet. General season UT public land, no less. I’ll try to make a post on it soon. Was a buck I had gotten a lot of video of in September during the muzzleloader hunt, but didn’t get a shot at. Really didn’t think we’d find it again during the rifle, or beat out the pumpkin patch. The stars aligned, along with a solid strategy.

View attachment 123710
Fantastic buck Congrats to your Daughter !

View attachment 123709

View attachment 123710
Awesome deer! Tell your daughter congratulations. I love it when these kiddos get a legit opportunity. So cool that your planning and familiarity panned out on this one.

No luck for us. We gave it two more days but never got a shot opportunity on a buck. My time hunting for the season is up.

We had a great time. Saw lots of does and many that had twins. Hopefully they can survive the winter and the future can be a bit brighter.

We camp for rifle in the foothills on winter range vs up the mtn

Pretty slow down there, not surprising with 76 for high.

Sat on top Sunday to see if a buck my 12 yr old scouted for archery was around.
Strike 2.

Looking forward to tomorrow as weather has come in

Saw only 1 buck it was on private land and it was a 2 point. About 20 does, 4 elk, a cow and 3 spikes, cow and calf moose, covered a lot of ground, great to get out but numbers were way down

I hunted CA, Idaho, and Montana. Idaho was the “trophy” hunt all the others were opportunity/family fun/freezer filler. Did some scouting.

Found a stud buck in Idaho living in the stupidest spot..archery hunt and no stalk opportunity. A fellow Californian named Tom also found him..from the seat of his quad and tried to cut the distance with his machine. Never saw that buck again and only had about 8 days to look.

Filled the other tags with dinks because I wanted to kill some stuff this year.

4CFE33DD-2651-4BF0-B964-028200646025.jpeg

7BE7FC04-D204-4621-9963-6AE37FF65225.jpeg

6595B56B-BBA3-4416-93DB-C7C35F5A422B.jpeg
792C67CE-B50E-450A-AB34-ACCE26A7BF62.jpeg
4805BB00-8352-44A1-9E4B-92DAD9174FEA.jpeg
B33BD5F8-F9F8-4798-9D8E-91CC6CD3BF4A.jpeg

Tried Closing The Distance On His Quad Huh?

How'd That Pan Out?

GEEZUS!

I hunted CA, Idaho, and Montana. Idaho was the “trophy” hunt all the others were opportunity/family fun/freezer filler. Did some scouting.

Found a stud buck in Idaho living in the stupidest spot..archery hunt and no stalk opportunity. A fellow Californian named Tom also found him..from the seat of his quad and tried to cut the distance with his machine. Never saw that buck again and only had about 8 days to look.

Filled the other tags with dinks because I wanted to kill some stuff this year.

View attachment 124267

View attachment 124268

View attachment 124269View attachment 124270View attachment 124271View attachment 124272

Tried Closing The Distance On His Quad Huh?

How'd That Pan Out?

GEEZUS!
Yeah. That buck whipped his head around when he was about a mile away coming down the road. Got nervous when he stopped to glass a half mile out. And when he started driving towards him from about 1000 yards away it was all over.

Can’t believe how many guys I saw “road hunting” during archery season. I guess it could work on a spike or little forky? Must work because so many guys do it ?

The way I see it there are two types of out of state hunter Californians.

Type 1 KALIfornians are used to working extremely hard for success and will put in serious work to be successful out of state. They come with their tacomas, swarovskis, fancy bows, and long range rifles to rape and pillage your home state (sorry guys).

Type 2 Californians love hunting out of state because the road hunting is SO much better than back home..

Just got back from a Muzzy hunt in OR, saw a few bucks. A couple slobs on private and passed on quite a few bucks. My buddy killed a decent buck and I’m eating my tag. Told my self I wouldn’t shoot a buck on the last day that I wouldn’t shoot on the first!

Here are some bucks I passed on, my buddy shot the one doing the huge kick! Passed on a few more that I didn’t get pics of. The big tall 3 and the wide crabby buck almost got shot but I decided they were a little young and not quite what I was after.
030E1923-FBB6-4E37-9EF1-9CED56EB8F3D.jpeg

DB7F4AE7-2858-45FD-AE4E-6E35CA2953EB.png

6ACD0440-F584-45A5-90FB-FB17C0DF4FC7.jpeg

6BFD70A0-57AC-45D8-ABC3-A80330ADEC10.jpeg

A few of the bucks chasing does on private. All of these bucks came off off public ground the private ag they were on was totally surrounded by miles of public ground.
69CA2F60-6A0A-4D90-A96E-04673AF9E1EC.jpeg

4796C648-97AD-4741-AFA5-B27ED68CB424.jpeg

6935C80D-66EB-49AC-AD7F-63080286843C.jpeg

CD1BE5E3-8B2D-451C-9B38-29730616DAF2.png

58B03058-F17E-47D9-AE7D-0B981E19A0CC.jpeg

I Think The Best One I Seen In A While Was Last Year!

This Guy Was Good!

A 2 Wheeled Dirt Bike!

The DRAT Was Somehow Standing Up!

One Hand On One Handlebar!

And A Knocked Bow In The Other!

Running Up The Road At A Fair Rate Of Speed Also!

PICTURE PERFECT & I Don't Have A Pic!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom