2024 Kaibab Dilemma

rockymtnhunter

To my MM friends,
I have a bit of a dilemma this year and need some advice - most of you know that my passion is chasing muleys on the North Kaibab. Since 1971 the Kaibab has been good to me, and to many of you that I've helped with your hunts there. Unfortunately, my end stage renal disease (i.e. kidney failure) is catching up with me. I will likely be starting kidney dialysis in the next month or two. Dialysis means 4 hour treatments 3 days/week. This will greatly limit my ability to chase muleys. I'm 71 and have 10 deer BP as a NR. I qualify for an AZ CHAMP tag and could apply for a Kaibab CHAMP tag, there are only 10 of those tags, but no more than one could be drawn by a NR, so I'd be fighting the odds. Or I could just keep applying for the early and late rifle tags and see what happens, and somehow squeeze in a day hunt, I live 3-1/2 hrs from the Kaibab. Archery tag is out because I can't draw more than 15 lbs. I don't want just give up on the possibility of drawing one last Kaibab tag Other suggestions? What to do?

Thanks in advance for your thought and suggestions!

/s/ Dan Fritz, aka rockymtnhunter

First off thanks for all the past Kiabab information.
Odds wise the Champ tags at 6.4% odds last year with 10 points might be your best chance.

Dan, I appreciate your help in the past.

Just throwing this out because I'd love for you to get a tag up there. . . you could consider getting a crossbow permit if you're no longer able to physically draw back a bow. I feel like this can be abused by many, but in your case it would be legitimate.

Dan, Remember me? Lol we both be failing. I got diagnosed with heart failure last August, on top of two torn Achilles & bad knee. Scrambling this year to reconsider all my draw strategies. At least I can still draw my bow. Looking at burning points in a few places while I can. May be the year for Paunsagunt archery deer. Deadline a few days away and was just checking here for pronghorn updates (28), not quite enough for Kaibab deer yet maybe next year.

Hope you can get something to return this year.

Last edited:
Good luck Dan I really hope you draw a tag this year. If you don't maybe some young Junior hunter could use your help on the Kaibab. I can't think of anything more rewarding than sharing your many years of wisdom and knowledge with some young hunter. Whether its your own tag or someone else's tag I hope you get to spend some time out on the Kaibab again this year!

Arizona Hunting Guides & Outfitters

SilverGrand Outfitters

Offering mule deer, elk, antelope, bighorn sheep, javelina, and turkey hunts in Nevada and Arizona.

Arizona Elk Outfitters

Offering the serious hunter a chance to hunt trophy animals in the great Southwest.

A3 Trophy Hunts

An Arizona Outfitter specializing in the harvest of World Class big game of all species.

Arizona Strip Guides

Highly experienced and highly dedicated team of hardworking professional Arizona Strip mule deer guides.

Urge 2 Hunt

THE premier hunts in Arizona for trophy elk, mule deer, couse deer and javelina.

Shadow Valley Outfitters

AZ Strip and Kaibab mule deer, big bulls during the rut, spot-n-stalk pronghorn and coues deer hunts.

Back
Top Bottom