204 cal

B

bullet_man1

am a big fan of h-r or new england firearms.has any one heard if this company plans on putting a rifle out in this cal.also how many have seen a h-r ultra 22-250 ive seen one and now own itif any one nows where there might be one post a reply please .if it is for sale and in good shape

It is hard to understand what you are asking from the way you have typed your message. It is all too much jumbled together.

But YES there is a new round that has came out, I read about it in a magazine. Not sure, but I think it is a Remington, and it is a .204 Cal. Not totally sure but think it was a 22.250 necked down to .204 BUT THIS IS ONLY A GUESS. Must have thrown the mag. away or taken it to the barbershop.

For some reason a .22 Magnum keeps coming to mind but might be something else too.

Brian

LAST EDITED ON Feb-10-04 AT 11:20AM (MST)[p]The new .204 will be marketed by Ruger, I also hear that Savage is going to chamber it as well. It will be the second cartrige to bear the Ruger name in the last two years. The first being the powerhouse pistol load .480 ruger that has the same KO power as a 454 Casual but with less kick.

The .204 is being based off the 222 Remington. It basically will have the same ballistics as a 22-250 or 220 swift. If I remember right you can load up to a 35 grain bullet in it at about 4100fps. I guess we really needed to bridge that gap between the .17 remington and the 223...

I have a feeling it could go the way of the dodo along with the last 5mm that came out about 30 years ago... If they would have based it on the 223 cases could easliy be made from all the surplus ammo around...

Bambistew;
I have to agree with you 100 %, I thing Ruger missed the boat by not basing it on the plentiful 223 case. If you look back, you will find alot of popular calibers that started out by using a military case and necking down-up for a different caliber of bullet. The 30-06 and 308 case has started alot of wildcats that became factory offered rounds. I am willing to bet that the factory loads will be expensive and the 222 cases are high in cost also, compared to 223 cases, which will deter some reloaders from buying the new rifle. Watch for another rifle company to come out with competition for Ruger by basing their new cartidge on the 223 case with similar ballistics and the Ruger 204 will end up like the Dodo bird.

RELH

that's sorta why the .280/7mm express/.280 again/whatever remington wants to call it next, never caught on real well. they moved the shoulder forward a little and it's real hard to reform '06 brass into it. whereas the .270 just takes one push on your reloader lever. remington said it was to keep folks from trying to chamber it in a .270, which makes some sense i guess, if illiterate folks who can't read own one. there is only .007" difference in the the bullet diameters. but i also read one time that some remington guy admitted that they did it for ammo sales as well. there's really nothing wrong with the .280, but it never made much sense to me to have 2 basically identical cartridges shooting bullets that are only 7 thousandths difference. wildcatters and balistics engineers are always trying to come up with the optimum cartridge. it's a good thing too, that way there is always something to argue about.

RLH;
Not only does it give us something to argue about, it provides a darn good excuse,for giving to the wife, why we need that new rifle in the new caliber that just came out.

RELH

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom