.204 Ruger

searcher

Has anyone tried one of these new rifles yet? Just wandering what experiences people have had. I may get into varmint hunting this winter. A couple of friends are having a blast shooting coyotes and I don't want to be left out. Right now, all I have would be a .22 or my .270 Ruger. Any thoughts on the .204 would be appreciated. My buddy has a .223

I think the 204 was an answer looking for a question.......I want one but believe they will go the way of the Etronix. Get a 22-250 and be happy.

JB

The 204 ruger is here to stay. It answers several questions, such as, extreme velocity with longer barrel life. Minimal pelt damage compared to 22-250 and 220 swift. There are many new calibers that come and go, but I think this one will stay around. I just wish ruger would have used the .223 for a parent case instead.

Here to stay for sure.
I have had a hard time getting shells, sportsmans wharehouse sells out as soon as they get a shipment in.
Hornady claims 4250 fps which is faster than the 22-250 and 220 swift, but what I like is their is very little recoil,you can actually watch your target exploid, before blinking your eye.
I bought a S-A-V-A-G-E ,first one I have ever bought, but with the accu trigger and the new cartridge I figured what the hell
on sell for 300.00 bucks.
It is now my favorite gun to shoot, I freaken tack driver, 2.5lbs trigger, bullet on top of bullet from a rest all day long.

Tim,

You might wait a while. The folks around here that have them say they don't group. A guy I know sent his back and got a new one with a different barrel. He still could not get it to group. I was thinking of one for the wife, but I'm going to wait a while. And as is often the case, those light bullets in the Wyoming wind are not a real good combination.

Jim

I just bought a .204 about 2 months ago. I do alot of coyote hunting and have a few varmit rifles. The last few years I have been shooting a .17 rem but here in Idaho the wind is a killer for the .17. The best choice in my mind is a .223 for coyotes. Little damage and still enough zip to reach out there. I have had no problem getting my .204 to group. I like the rifle but I have always felt the same when it comes to hunting with calibers such as these. the most imprtant thing is the scope you put on it. I am always on a budget and I would rather spend less on the gun than the glass I put on it. Good luck Killing coyotes. Remember everyone you kill is one less the deer have to worry about!!

Bigole5

My buddy has the new .204 and it is a hard hittn sob....he shot one this weekend and blew a big hole in the gut with it....bout the size of a cantalope. Seems like it jumps a little and shoots high every now and then...but it shoots pretty straight...I would get a .223 though...they seem to group pretty good
YB

I'll cast my vote for a .22-250 as well. I have one that I'm very near to rebarreling (an early 80s Rugar #1V)... it has around 3500 rounds through it. Absolutely love that rifle. Its one of those scary to own and reload for rifles that actually gets MORE accurate the hotter the load... :)

I get around 3750fps with .55grn spitzers (no thats not a typo) over my cronograph. With 40grn bullets... well lets just say I reached a point where my bullets would disintegrate from barrel friction. Right now I settled for 4350fps with 40grn HP's. Holds around .35" @100 yards. Still undecided on rebarreling or not as thats pretty damn good, my problem is the throat is burned back so far to seat off the lands I'm seating the bullets litterally finger tight into case mouths. Maybe I'll have them cut 1/4" off the barrel and set it back.

Anyway I've used FMJ bullets with great success on pelted animals I didnt want to damage. I'm sure that statement will raise alot of eyebrows but believe me, it works great (what happens is the bullet is going so damn fast it creates a vaccum behind it and it sucks out internals through the exit hole). I keep those shots to less than 100yards though so i dont loose too much velocity.

.204 ... sorta like .52 caliber muzzleloaders... why? I guess to give you a reason to buy yet another gun

-DallanC

Thanks again for all your comments. Now you guys got me wondering if the .204 is really what I want. I am also wondering about how difficult it will be to get the cartridges without ordering them thru the mail. Will a .243 do too much damage to a coyote? I really am not into handloading so I will be using off the shelf cartridges.

Searcher.

who cares what it does to a coyote hide, they aren't worth the effort to skin them. Prime++++ will bring maybe $30. Yes a 243 is very good for coyotes.

JB

Unless you plan to shoot an antelope or something with the rifle (to be legal in most western states, it has to be .23 or bigger) I'd still recommend to 22-250. It's better in the wind and does not damage the pelts too bad if properly loaded.

I've wrestled with this same decision for the wife this year and am going with the 22-250. I handload so the availability of ammo is not s big deal. I just think the 22-250 is a proven warrior and I'm comfortable with what it will do.

Thanks ICMDEER

I will stick with my .270 for goat hunting. I bought it in 2000 and it hasn't let me down yet. I just have the itch to get into varmit hunting and a couple of friends have been talking up the .204 but I don't think either one has any experience with the caliber or probably even seen one. At first I was sure I was going to go this weekend and buy one. Now I'm having second thoughts about the caliber. If I can hook up with the right guy this weekend, I may try to blow up a coyote with the Ruger.

Searcher

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom