Elk points

steiny

I have a buddy who has 24 non-resident elk points and just wants to hunt elk. He is not concerned about shooting something huge, he would be happy with a 300+ 6 pt bull.
He is older, but can still get around pretty good.
Any ideas for a unit and or outfitter? Preferably a outfitter.

I would say Mt. Emily would be worth looking into. Blue Mountain Adventures and Bob Staples might be able to help him out? Good luck to your buddy that's a lot of points!

As a NR that's a tough spot to be. need to look at Wold's page but I don't think he can draw any of the best tags, maybe Mt Emily or mill creek.

It's very possible if he can't get in the top tier tags he'd be better off bringing a friend or two to a mid-tier hunt. the spread between the tag classes is huge for a NR and if he doesn't have another decade or two it might be time to compromise.

He is nowhere near drawing mt emily or wenaha rifle hunts. He has enough points to bargain for a discounted hunt with a Powers unit outfitter, 50 + off would be my demand.

I know a great outfitter in the Powers and Sixes unit who would give you at least 1 free hunt by splitting up your points with others. Probably 2 with the number of points you have. PM if you want his info.

That might be an idea if he wants a Roosevelt hunt. that's not everyone's cup of tea.

If he wants to go with an outfitter there are some good options for private land hunts in eastern OR that should get him the bull he's after. but he has about 20 points more than he needs so I'm not sure if they'd have value with these guys or not. they get plenty of landowner tags normally.

There are a few quality tags both of you could draw as a party with low hunter numbers and plenty of public land. it would be a lot of fun but success would be far from guaranteed . stick to private land hunts if getting a 6 point is a high priority.

Back
Top Bottom