Elk 24-1 or 38-9 worth max points?

Wapiti

I'm a non-res with max points. Looking to burn my points this year. I'm considering unit 24-1 and 38-9, possible 39-9. Is 38-9 worth burning max points on? Are there better areas that meet the criteria below that would be more worthy of max points?

I've never stepped foot in either of the units but have seen several videos and both are very intriguing. I've been researching for a number of years and concluded that 24 and 38-9 are my 2 top preferences based on my criteria with the outside possibility of 39-9.

I'm not getting any younger and have determined it's time to get this done. Spent too much money over the years getting points. Probably should have burned them long ago but oh well here we are.

Been elk hunting all my life. Taken many elk with a bow and rifle here in Utah so elk hunting is nothing new to me.

I'm an archery hunter first looking for a good opportunity at a mature bull.

Criteria is as follows - September rut hunt, ample public land available to hunt on and ample non-wilderness, no griz, good populations of elk with good bull/cow ratios, guaranteed or virtually guaranteed draw this year, 30% or higher success rates for archery, although I understand 24 is a type 1 with the option to archery so no archery success rates available.

Last edited:
If I had max points I'd be after a 59-1 tag. it's a late hunt you'd need an outfitter for but it's almost certainly the best hunt in the state. I've been in there twice and have friends who've made 3 more hunts. everyone got bulls from 352-381.

By 24 I assume you mean 124. it's an excellent hunt from what I was seeing hunting pronghorn a few years ago. but I'd take 59 over it .

Had a buddy hunt 24 last year. He shot a very nice bull with his bow. He felt it was worth the points. Another family member had the tag as well and she shot a great bull with her rifle. From what I have heard about 38, I wouldn't spend max points there personally.

If I had max points I'd be after a 59-1 tag. it's a late hunt you'd need an outfitter for but it's almost certainly the best hunt in the state. I've been in there twice and have friends who've made 3 more hunts. everyone got bulls from 352-381.

By 24 I assume you mean 124. it's an excellent hunt from what I was seeing hunting pronghorn a few years ago. but I'd take 59 over it .
No I mean 24, Green Mountains.

I'm not a non resident but if I was with max points I wouldn't burn them in either of those areas. Keep researching

100-1 and hunt the $hit out of the archery stamp the last 2 weeks of September. I read about a guy who did this and had a ton of fun.

I would NOT burn max points on a 38-9. I know a few guys who have hunted that unit and they all tagged out but 2 of them almost got their lunch eaten on that tag.....

Anyone familiar with unit 16, is it worth max. I've heard mixed reviews about the hunt such as quality bulls but a real zoo of hunters even during the archery season, of course 38 from what I've heard is a zoo as well.

If you have max points 18 and are considering units like 38 or 39 which take about half those points 9-10, you are losing a lot of value.

It is a little late for in the 2024 draw cycle but you may want to consider teaming up with an outfitter who will give you a significantly reduced (maybe free) guided elk hunt in a non-griz unit in exchange for appling as group and using those points that you would other wise waist on unit 38/39.

BTW...welcome to MM.

You are a brave soul to create a brand new account and have your first post be a "give me info" thread. It has not worked out well for most who have gone down this road...especially true in the Wy section 😁

If you have your heart set on the bighorns, I would at minimum find another fellow Monster Muler who has 5-8 points and offer to apply as a group if they pay your tag fees...

BTW...welcome to MM.

You are a brave soul to create a brand new account and have your first post be a "give me info" thread. It has not worked out well for most who have gone down this road...especially true in the Wy section 😁
Actually I've been a member of monstermuleys for what seems like 20 years. There was a period of several years when I wasn't actively posting and the moderators deactivated my account. I've provided assistance to many posters about a couple units in the Utah over the years so I have no issue with asking for advice on wyoming.

If you have your heart set on the bighorns, I would at minimum find another fellow Monster Muler who has 5-8 points and offer to apply as a group if they pay your tag fees...
I'm not dead set on the bighorns, however, I do find them very intriguing. I've watched several archery videos on the region and the hunts I've watch look like a quality experience. I know they don't take max points but no one has said why they wouldn't be worth using max points verses the units that do require max points.
I'm open to other units. But having never elk hunted in Wyoming its hard to know. On the web, everyone has an opinion about every unit out there.

I'm not dead set on the bighorns, however, I do find them very intriguing. I've watched several archery videos on the region and the hunts I've watch look like a quality experience. I know they don't take max points but no one has said why they wouldn't be worth using max points verses the units that do require max points.
I'm open to other units. But having never elk hunted in Wyoming its hard to know. On the web, everyone has an opinion about every unit out there.
There is a good reasons why areas take the points they do.

You will never have max points again. That means this is your one opportunity to draw a few select areas in the state. Some of those areas are eliminated by your criteria. To me, that only leaves 124, 100, and 24. Of those, 24 is probably the best archery hunt but 100 is solid as well. 124 could be great but with lower density it can be hard to locate elk in the expanses. Generally higher trophy potential though.

All of that said, you invested for over 15 years. You owe it to yourself to do your own research and find the hunt that suits you.

I sure wish I had max points again!!!!
If I did I wouldn't be using them on either of those two units.

Max points puts you in a VERY special situation, that you will NEVER have again after you use them. Spend them wisely!!!

Not to be a jerk, but after putting in for 18 years you must have had something in mind that you were going after?

I hunted the Bighorns last year with a buddy. It was a quality experience. Showed up the day before season, killed a 330” 5 point opening morning. Packed elk on day 2. Saw 42 bulls on day 3. Killed a broken 325” class 6 on the morning of day 4. Fun hunt. No giants but lots of elk. Pretty physical country…at least where the elk were. I care very little for elk hunting, but it was a good time and I got rid of my pts.

I hunted the Bighorns last year with a buddy. It was a quality experience. Showed up the day before season, killed a 330” 5 point opening morning. Packed elk on day 2. Saw 42 bulls on day 3. Killed a broken 325” class 6 on the morning of day 4. Fun hunt. No giants but lots of elk. Pretty physical country…at least where the elk were. I care very little for elk hunting, but it was a good time and I got rid of my pts.
Sounds like a great experience, time well spent!

Care to share the pics?

Would love to see that 5 pnt. A 330" 5 is a damn big elk.

This is my broken bull. I don’t have permission to post my partner’s big 5. He’s doesn’t like to post his critters online.

75794950-7C42-4645-A725-9747178542A0.jpeg

I got 12 would be interested dual application. First time Wyoming hunter been bow hunting elk for 12 years

How come no one has mentioned 30, 31, or 32? Granted you are not 100% with max points but the same holds true for 100 and 124. I hunted 24 last year and I had a great hunt. I killed a branch bull but 24 is not a trophy unit. Also the archery hunt on 24 has gotten crowded. I saw more people on the mountain on Sept 16th than I did on the rifle opener. I spent 18 days on green mountain. I only saw 2 bulls that were for sure over 300". It was my first time there so guys that have hunted it more may know where to find the better quality. You will have a good time if you choose 24, just don't think you will be passing 330 bulls hoping for 350.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom