209 vs musket caps

koyote

I live in Oregon where 209's are not legal so I've only used musket caps. My question is, are the 209's worth changing to for hunting Utah this year. I have the parts to do so if they are much better than the way I've been shooting. Just need some opinion on this please. Also I see they make 209's just for black powder, how are these different than regular shotgun 209's.

Thanks, Koyote

+1 If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

That said, we are guys who like to tinker. Personally I love BH 209 powder (which ended up being legal in Utah). So if you want to try some of that, you will need to convert.

As far as the "muzzleloader only" 209s, they are made with reduced power, mainly for using with 777 to lower the formation of the infamous "crud ring". They are not recommended for use with BH 209.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

I differ from the two above posts, I would switch to the 209 primers and try some BH 209. If your a non resident and pulled a tag you might never see another Utah tag, it's still early in the season and by trying your not out much, I feel the advantages of using 209 primers and BH far out weights the cost of switching. And if it don't work out at least you have a good load to fall back on. Good luck!

Thanks for the input, I may look into the BH209. As of now I've been using 120gr of 777 with Barnes TMZ's and spitfires with good accuracy (around 1.5"-2") I shoot a TC Black diamond XR and after 7 or 8 shots the firing slide(pin) starts to gum up from blowback. I was kinda wondering if using the 209's would help out with that problem?? And will the 209's have much affect on accuracy better or worse? Thanks for your expert opinions.

Thanks, Koyote

Utah Nebo muzz

Don't use BH209 in that action, its not a sealed breech plug and will most likely keep hang firing on you. I know a fellow who tried BH209 in his BD and had to pry the 209 primer out of his forehead. DONT DO IT! Just stick with what is working well for you.

Look into Dyna Tek Gun Coat " Not bore coat" You'll have to clean the inside of the bolt area SPOTLESS, degrease it and apply the product and let it dry over night. Its some super super slick stuff and fouling has a hard time sticking to it, making your gun cleaner and a hell of a lot easier to clean. Midway USA I believe sells the kits.

.FrontierMuzzleloading.com

LAST EDITED ON Jun-07-12 AT 01:23AM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Jun-07-12 AT 01:21?AM (MST)

Frontier is right do not try BH 209 with that breech system, I would still try the 209 primers with the powder you are currently shooting, you have the parts so all you will be out is a few dollars for primers. The primers may or may not be more accurate, but if they shoot equally well the 209 primers will be a more reliable ignition. Also the Nebo unit is in my backyard if you make it down to scout or need some help during your hunt feel free to get ahold of me.

Everyone thanks for all the help, I think I'll try the 209 primers. And hangfire I may get a hold of you but Im hunting on a private ranch.

Thanks, Koyote

I also have the Black Diamond XR, Great gun to shoot. I'm with the other guys when they say stay away from BH209 with this particular gun. Great powder for a sealed breech'd gun. Did your Black Diamond come with a 209 primer nipple? Mine did, maybe its a Utah thing that it comes with it. I prefer the 209, give 'er a shot and see. I agree with the other guys on here for their advice too. Good luck
~CamoKid

Thanks for the info, and yes mine has a 209 nipple. I have been shooting it with Win 209 primers and seems to be fine but the gun may shoot a bit better with the musket caps, not totally sure yet, kinda a pain to change back and fourth.

Thanks, Jeff

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom