22 Elk

I drew a unit 22 bull tag. Pretty excited. Don't know much other than its great area.If anyone has any info about the unit I'd appreciate all I can get

I deer hunted in 87 a couple of years ago so I'm a little familiar with the area but I'm no expert on the Elk. I do know that 98 % of them will be up on Ferris during the gun season. Its not that big or high but its one steep rough mother. I laugh when I read Eastmans calling the terrain "moderate". I do think that if you are in shape and get access from the Stone ranch on the south side or Pathfinder on the north it could be a great hunt. I'd start in the 3 and 5 year old burns on the East and south sides of the mountain. There are some big Bulls on that hill ! GOOD LUCK

I will say this about Ferris elk hunting; don't waste your time on the "steep rough" part of the mountain.

Its been awhile since I hunted it, but the elk I was chasing were down in the sage and rocks away from the mountain. I know a guy who shot a big 7x7 in the pass on the mountain during archery seasons a few years ago.

I'm sure some of you guys know way more about the unit than I do. I hunted deer on the south side of the mountain in Rifle season for 7 days in 2012 (mostly within a mile or 2 of the mountain) in the sage and rocks and never saw an Elk. I just assumed they were up on the hill. We did see some old sign which appeared to be from the rut. I talked to 2 of the ranchers and both said they had a helluva Lion problem.

Well I went and spent a couple days checking out the unit. Definitely different than what I'm used to, but very cool country. Saw a couple nice bulls and a big bear which was kind of surprising. I can see access being somewhat of an issue in spots, but only because you have to drive so far to get back around to the next drainage. Great country to glass from afar on the south end and much thicker on the north end. The north looks more gamey to me though. Should be a fun hunt!

>Share your story and photos, this
>has been a dream unit
>for me. I just can't
>seem to draw the tag
>

Your odds to draw it are about ZERO when you apply for other areas instead!

Jm77, Miley odds where zero this year, I put into a area that I know, and is 15 min from home to be hunting. For I do not have the time to invest in a unit that I have never been in during hunting season. I know the area well from December through February coyote hunting, and hunting the antelope on the lake bed.

I quit putting in for deer there when the tags where cut to 25, the odds are worse than some of the late season hunts. I put in for elk there for four years for the fact that's there is 25 tags and will not have heavy competition, or struggle finding a place where I will be walking the same drainage as other hunters every week.

I know your hatred forme but no since to troll everyone posts over me. Especially over just asking for photos of one of the neatest areas in the state.

>Jm77, Miley odds where zero this
>year, I put into a
>area that I know, and
>is 15 min from home
>to be hunting. For I
>do not have the time
>to invest in a unit
>that I have never been
>in during hunting season. I
>know the area well from
>December through February coyote hunting,
>and hunting the antelope on
>the lake bed.
>
>I quit putting in for deer
>there when the tags where
>cut to 25, the odds
>are worse than some of
>the late season hunts. I
>put in for elk there
>for four years for the
>fact that's there is 25
>tags and will not have
>heavy competition, or struggle finding
>a place where I will
>be walking the same drainage
>as other hunters every week.
>
>
>I know your hatred forme but
>no since to troll everyone
>posts over me. Especially over
>just asking for photos of
>one of the neatest areas
>in the state.

Moseley

Like many of your posts, I keep re-reading this one to make sure I completely understand you. I don't have "hatred" for you, I guess I just don't understand that if 22 is you "dream hunt", why don't you keep applying there?

Anyway, good luck hunting 15 minutes from home! Maybe you can top that big one!

Jeff

I will keep ya posted on the hunt. Its a 4 1/2 hr drive for me so I doubt I'll make it over again till archery season. Plan on spending a few days then just to at least scout it out and look over a bunch of bulls.

Hi, My pard and i drew 87 Deer and 63 lopes a few years back when a 87 Deer was not as popular and could still be drawn by a NR. We saw some single shooter bulls about 1/2 way up the Ferris range from sand creek and also a big herd of elk that had a bunch of bulls in it out in the sage along a foothills two-track on the south side, about a third of the way across toward the hi-way to muddy gap.

One real good Bull in particular wouldn't hang around once spotted but all the rest that we saw acted as if they were safe and not concerned with our being there and stayed in the same spots our whole trip. Good luck, seems like a pretty good tag to have.

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

Jeff,
With what was stated, there was no need for your input. I started applying for 22 in 09 2 years after my last 19 type 1. I for22 every year, but two since. One was the year of the last land swap negotiations, and then this year. Next year I should be back at 22 again. I will be hunting the same places I killed my big bull, thank you, I seen one during rifle deer last year that would have topped the one in my wall. I do not need to judge the success of my hints in purely inches of bone. If I make it out of archery with an elk on the ground weather it's a rag or a 350+ I will still enjoy my season. One of the joys of hunting so close to home is my 9 year old son can come since he can hunt on the weekends without missing school.

That makes the season right there.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom