'22 Hunting Draw...

BioHazrdMan

...getting close to the deadline. I applied after 03/05/22 because new CC month... me, wifey & kiddos are in. Good luck to all on here as long as not taking my tag! ? Are you in? Waiting till last minute so you'll be on top of the pile? What's your secret to getting drawn? Ha.

I obviously do not know the secret. I never draw tags. Have tried all the different methods, put in first, wait, everything in between. No luck for good tags ever.

My secret seems to be working out for other people. Out of 9 apps last year my son and I only drew his youth deer tag in 21.

I'm in.
Growing old waiting on that Elk tag after about 15 years.
Haven't had a Barbary tag since they went to a draw.
Pronghorn?, Yeah right.
Did draw RC - OIL Gemsbok on my 2nd try, so there's that.
Just need one chance @ DBH.

Been 19 years since I held a rifle tag for deer. Have had two Jan deer tags in the same time frame, one in 2005 and the other in 2011. Both in the same unit when it was easier to draw back then.

I drew a 21 rifle tag three years ago. Not really a rifle hunter, so Didn't really want it, but wanted to hunt. Couldn't draw anything archery. Before that, all archery. Two elk tags in almost twenty years (one 21b, one 16c). Used to draw deer tags every year, but for some reason people started putting in for archery to just hunt it like rifle. Road hunt and never practice. Saw people who bought their bows the week before the hunt. Shot them a few times and said they were ready. Finished a deer a while back that had an arrow stuck in its hind leg, broadhead only part through skin.

I drew a 21 rifle tag three years ago. Not really a rifle hunter, so Didn't really want it, but wanted to hunt. Couldn't draw anything archery. Before that, all archery. Two elk tags in almost twenty years (one 21b, one 16c). Used to draw deer tags every year, but for some reason people started putting in for archery to just hunt it like rifle. Road hunt and never practice. Saw people who bought their bows the week before the hunt. Shot them a few times and said they were ready. Finished a deer a while back that had an arrow stuck in its hind leg, broadhead only part through skin.

Once they started not having to choose your weapon is when it began to became more difficult to draw.

Maybe the department goes to a 90/10 resident-nonresident/outfitter type of pool in the future. The chatter is possible being this year is a rule year change. All non res and outfitted hunters would be in the 10% pool and NM res would increase from 84 to 90 % of all licenses...I know outfitters don't like this but NM hunters should have the most possible IMO...

Maybe the department goes to a 90/10 resident-nonresident/outfitter type of pool in the future. The chatter is possible being this year is a rule year change. All non res and outfitted hunters would be in the 10% pool and NM res would increase from 84 to 90 % of all licenses...I know outfitters don't like this but NM hunters should have the most possible IMO...

I would prefer a straight 90/10 resident/non-resident.

The quota is set by legislation, NMGF has nothing to do with it.

No, leave the cow tags for residents. I don't know how to fix the broken draw system. Maybe, stop party hunting. I know it's done quite a bit. Ten people with tags and only one hunting. Trying to fill all of the tags. Or, people who don't actually hunt should not put in. See it everywhere. Stay in camp and drink the whole time, instead of hunting. Just go camping if you are going to do that. Of course, neither of those are going to stop. So many people put in for so few tags. I am fine if those people actually want to hunt. But, I don't think most do. I have had friends draw with me, begging that they want to hunt, years ago, only to find out I don't use it as an excuse to camp and party. I actually hunt.

No, leave the cow tags for residents. I don't know how to fix the broken draw system. Maybe, stop party hunting. I know it's done quite a bit. Ten people with tags and only one hunting. Trying to fill all of the tags. Or, people who don't actually hunt should not put in. See it everywhere. Stay in camp and drink the whole time, instead of hunting. Just go camping if you are going to do that. Of course, neither of those are going to stop. So many people put in for so few tags. I am fine if those people actually want to hunt. But, I don't think most do. I have had friends draw with me, begging that they want to hunt, years ago, only to find out I don't use it as an excuse to camp and party. I actually hunt.

Hunter's safety across the board might help, but, with the ability to do it online maybe not.

I’m torn on this. I am a New Mexico native and I want to hunt everything every year but National Forest belongs to everybody in the nation. We all pay taxes on National Forest, all leased NF should be open to hunting and camping also, no locked gates, I can understand cattle guards. I know most will disagree.

I would like to see it go to 2 choices not 3 for draws and as a Nr I hope it stay above 10% for tags to draw maybe like 15% but one pool everyone draws from . Cut out so of the small landowner tags and make it like 200 or 300 acre minium for some one to get a tag and start limiting how many united wide tags go to some of even the bigger ranches.

Put the cow tags back into the draw for NR and there would be a number of NR apply for those instead of the coveted bull ta
I think NM could/should offer NR options for antlerless elk hunts on public lands but really wished there would be hunts for senior hunters 65 and older like there is for youth hunters. Many of our elderly do not draw for many years , these are the people who started us all on hunting . I wished the g&fish would offer senior hunts ..

I think NM could/should offer NR options for antlerless elk hunts on public lands but really wished there would be hunts for senior hunters 65 and older like there is for youth hunters. Many of our elderly do not draw for many years , these are the people who started us all on hunting . I wished the g&fish would offer senior hunts ..

They can't add senior tags without taking them from somewhere else. If all species populations were on the rise, I'd agree, but they're not.

An across the board 90/10, like many other states, would allow NR's antlerless options while increasing residents ability to draw. I suppose if you want to give seniors a special allocation, give them 6% making the large portion 84% and it would be like nothing changed...

I would like to see it go to 2 choices not 3 for draws and as a Nr I hope it stay above 10% for tags to draw maybe like 15% but one pool everyone draws from . Cut out so of the small landowner tags and make it like 200 or 300 acre minium for some one to get a tag and start limiting how many united wide tags go to some of even the bigger ranches.

I want to see it go back to choosing a weapon and sticking with it. I would like to see it go back to doing the draw by unit instead of shuffling it up with everything else so you're only competing against those that put in for the same unit you did. I would like to see it go back to running through everyone's first choice first, then going back through for a second choice.

I want to see it go back to choosing a weapon and sticking with it. I would like to see it go back to doing the draw by unit instead of shuffling it up with everything else so you're only competing against those that put in for the same unit you did. I would like to see it go back to running through everyone's first choice first, then going back through for a second choice.
Yeah and I would like to see over the counter Deer, Bear and Turkey tags all on one license like it used to be but that’s not going to happen either.

I agree with having to use same weapon choice. And going back to 1st-2nd-3rd, instead of drawing whatever is there when your app is pulled. Honestly, the second change was the dumbest one. Should be first, second then third choices in order. To me, that was just a way they could justify their friends drawing every year. I would also like to see a waiting period for certain quality hunts. Not a point system, but let's say a three year period after drawing a quality hunt until you can again. I know I'll probably get strung up for that one. But, to me, that would ensure everyone who draws it is going to hunt it. Knowing it would be a few years before you could again. It seems weird to me that certain people hunt the same, quality/high demand hunt every single year, while other's never draw the hunt. They say it's luck of the draw, but I just don't think that's true for a lot of people.

I agree with having to use same weapon choice. And going back to 1st-2nd-3rd, instead of drawing whatever is there when your app is pulled. Honestly, the second change was the dumbest one. Should be first, second then third choices in order. To me, that was just a way they could justify their friends drawing every year. I would also like to see a waiting period for certain quality hunts. Not a point system, but let's say a three year period after drawing a quality hunt until you can again. I know I'll probably get strung up for that one. But, to me, that would ensure everyone who draws it is going to hunt it. Knowing it would be a few years before you could again. It seems weird to me that certain people hunt the same, quality/high demand hunt every single year, while other's never draw the hunt. They say it's luck of the draw, but I just don't think that's true for a lot of people.
“Ensue everyone who draws it is going to hunt it” I see your point but there’s no “ensurance” of anything. We apply in March and hunt in Sept, Oct, Nov, Dec. As we make plans things happen, death, sickness, job loss, divorce, etc. I would love to see actual numbers of people who drew and people who actually hunted what they drew.

I agree, but I feel that the party size will only increase because of the low odds everywhere. I know of hunting parties of 10-15 people who all put in the same units and same tags in hopes of just drawing one or two tags. For instance off range oryx, Non residents have higher odds than residents do for state wide off range oryx (ref. go hunt / top rut). WTF is that. I also heard that some animal activist groups were giving people money to put in for the draw and they would pay all fees, but if they drew people wouldn't hunt. Pisses me off to no end, but would count for the 63,000 increase in total applicants. Not sure what the fix to any of this would be, other than issuing wolf tags lol.

I shake my head often on how people order their hunts on their apps. I bet 50% of people that I talk with have their choices wrong. I say keep it the same with choices. Many people, only get one choice.

Doesn't matter though if you're always at the bottom of the pile after the shuffle...

Fellas' in anticipation of drawing a tag I'm gonna go ahead and get this out there early. I'm not looking for anyone's secret spot or honey holes... C'mon just tell me the coordinates already! Fingers crossed boy's, I got a good feeling about this year!! Good luck everyone
Friggin awesome! Make sure an repost that when the results come out!

I shake my head often on how people order their hunts on their apps. I bet 50% of people that I talk with have their choices wrong. I say keep it the same with choices. Many people, only get one choice.
Every year dudes I think know what’s up DONT!
I just talked to two good friends who basically had 2 choice elk apps ??‍♂️

I can explain it to you but I can’t understand it for you.

Well, you're gonna have to because I'm too damn dumb to figure out the hell what you're even talking about...

Locked gates shouldn’t happen over Forrest Roads. I don’t care what plan you refer to….

Not my rule, bud. If you have a complaint, take it up with the head forester at any ranger district.

This makes too much sense!

This makes too much sense!
Landowner welfare is here to stay ! I argued side by side with a landowner about making a minimum acreage of at least 300 acres at the last in person meeting, before the liberal commission started using Covid as an excuse to not meet in person, and per usual , it was a waste of breath !

Landowner welfare is here to stay ! I argued side by side with a landowner about making a minimum acreage of at least 300 acres at the last in person meeting, before the liberal commission started using Covid as an excuse to not meet in person, and per usual , it was a waste of breath !
Seems to be going sorely that direction. Everything is a waste of breath, as they are going to do what they want no matter the input. It's sad, but hunting is being pushed away, unless you can afford out of state or landowner hunts.

“Ensue everyone who draws it is going to hunt it” I see your point but there’s no “ensurance” of anything. We apply in March and hunt in Sept, Oct, Nov, Dec. As we make plans things happen, death, sickness, job loss, divorce, etc. I would love to see actual numbers of people who drew and people who actually hunted what they drew.
I know there is no way to ensure it. Just wishful thinking is all. And the reasons you list are actual good reasons. I mean the people who go out and just stay at camp and drink. That is their "hunting". Taking tags away from people who will actually hunt.

I know there is no way to ensure it. Just wishful thinking is all. And the reasons you list are actual good reasons. I mean the people who go out and just stay at camp and drink. That is their "hunting". Taking tags away from people who will actually hunt.
I hear ya, but to some that’s their vacation, that’s their entertainment time. Some just enjoy the outdoors and the camaraderie it brings with others of like kind. I’m a passionate hunter and take hunting serious, on a five day deer hunt I’m out all five days from sun up to sun down if I haven’t already harvested one. Where we hunt that entails packing a lunch and tons of walking in mountainous terrain. As I get older it gets more difficult. The country is hell on old timers and people out of shape, a great many hunters fall in the latter category. I believe this is why there are so many road hunters. I definitely feel your pain though.

Seems to be going sorely that direction. Everything is a waste of breath, as they are going to do what they want no matter the input. It's sad, but hunting is being pushed away, unless you can afford out of state or landowner hunts.
Yessir all the “elected” officials have been made sovereigns instead of actually upholding a democracy and doing what the voters actually want. I know the game commission is not voted on but the HAG who put them there is. They are supposed to work for our best interests but that is not what’s happening.

Yessir all the “elected” officials have been made sovereigns instead of actually upholding a democracy and doing what the voters actually want. I know the game commission is not voted on but the HAG who put them there is. They are supposed to work for our best interests but that is not what’s happening.
Just like all the rest of them. School board where I'm from switched schedules to year round on us, even though the public input was 5 to 1 against it among teachers and parents. But, like the game commission and all other elected officials, they put it through because it is what they wanted. Typical politicians. Supposed to be looking out for what we, as constituents, want and our best interest, only interested in lining their pockets.

I hear ya, but to some that’s their vacation, that’s their entertainment time. Some just enjoy the outdoors and the camaraderie it brings with others of like kind. I’m a passionate hunter and take hunting serious, on a five day deer hunt I’m out all five days from sun up to sun down if I haven’t already harvested one. Where we hunt that entails packing a lunch and tons of walking in mountainous terrain. As I get older it gets more difficult. The country is hell on old timers and people out of shape, a great many hunters fall in the latter category. I believe this is why there are so many road hunters. I definitely feel your pain though.
I am fine with people enjoying the outdoors. But, if you aren't going to hunt, don't waste a tag. That's my feelings on it, and have gotten into it with friends for that stuff. Someone else may put that tag to use, and enjoy it. Not just enjoy being out away from everything. I agree with the out of shape part. Most hunters couldn't walk five miles if they had to.

I am fine with people enjoying the outdoors. But, if you aren't going to hunt, don't waste a tag. That's my feelings on it, and have gotten into it with friends for that stuff. Someone else may put that tag to use, and enjoy it. Not just enjoy being out away from everything. I agree with the out of shape part. Most hunters couldn't walk five miles if they had to.
I’ve got backlash on this before but I agree ?! I feel they should just go fishing n camp n drink beer! To each their own!
We haven’t even touched on the greenies ! I have a good idea that among the upticks in apps the tree huggers are contributing to that on larger scale than we fathom.

I’ve got backlash on this before but I agree ?! I feel they should just go fishing n camp n drink beer! To each their own!
We haven’t even touched on the greenies ! I have a good idea that among the upticks in apps the tree huggers are contributing to that on larger scale than we fathom.
I can’t remember where, caught the tail end of it but I heard that the anti hunters were applying for hunts just for the purpose of stopping some hunters from killing Bambi. The story likened it to “Operation Chaos” that Rush Limbaugh ran many years ago against the democrats.

One thing I see across a lot of states is people wishing there were less tags issued (I'd give a lot to convince my home state of Oregon to quit issuing so many deer tags in units that can't support the harvest), which simple mathematics determines will make them harder to draw but saves on the critters. If, and I believe they are (to what extent I have no idea) these animal rights groups are buying apps and tags to save them critters from the big bad hunters. Aren't they essentially doing what game commissions across the nation are unwilling (because of financial loss) to do?

I can’t remember where, caught the tail end of it but I heard that the anti hunters were applying for hunts just for the purpose of stopping some hunters from killing Bambi. The story likened it to “Operation Chaos” that Rush Limbaugh ran many years ago against the democrats.

I wonder if Hunter's Safety were a requirement regardless of age would help deter this. I've heard the same thing, and, we recently saw it not too long ago when WY was sponsoring a grizzly hunt and one of the winners of a tag was in fact an anti.

Last edited:

Yeah, me too. I read on another forum where a guy and his buddies would put in for Montana cow tags and then have a tag burning party at one of their homes while laughing about it.

I wonder is Hunter's Safety were a requirement regardless of age would help deter this. I've heard the same thing, and, we recently saw it not too long ago when WY was sponsoring a grizzly hunt and one of the winners of a tag was in fact an anti.
It’s so easy to get a hunters safety certificate, I don’t think it would change a thing. At least you’re thinking of ways to combat this, I’m not sure yet what would work.

It’s so easy to get a hunters safety certificate, I don’t think it would change a thing. At least you’re thinking of ways to combat this, I’m not sure yet what would work.

It takes effort, especially if you remove the online ability and have to give up a weekend in a classroom with hunters.

It takes effort, especially if you remove the online ability and have to give up a weekend in a classroom with hunters.
:LOL: These are people who show up to hunting fields with signs, pour paint on people wearing furs, crash boats into ships and spread lies like wildfires. They are a multi million dollar organization who have members who would gladly give up a weekend to save Bambi. Fear of catching a virus has drastically changed the way Americans conduct business today, from voting to shopping to testing and working “on line” is here to stay. Don’t fool yourself.

:LOL: These are people who show up to hunting fields with signs, pour paint on people wearing furs, crash boats into ships and spread lies like wildfires. They are a multi million dollar organization who have members who would gladly give up a weekend to save Bambi. Fear of catching a virus has drastically changed the way Americans conduct business today, from voting to shopping to testing, “on line” is here to stay. Don’t fool yourself.
Sadly I agree!

Oh you know they are. Any time they can save an animals life, they are going to do it. Instead of worrying about what is truly wrong with this country, they attack something that is vital.

:LOL: These are people who show up to hunting fields with signs, pour paint on people wearing furs, crash boats into ships and spread lies like wildfires. They are a multi million dollar organization who have members who would gladly give up a weekend to save Bambi. Fear of catching a virus has drastically changed the way Americans conduct business today, from voting to shopping to testing and working “on line” is here to stay. Don’t fool yourself.

Not necessarily. The extreme wackos do what you're saying, the rest are low key enough to do just enough when it's easy.

Where the hell did you come from anyway? You suddenly appeared out of no where...

Not necessarily. The extreme wackos do what you're saying, the rest are low key enough to do just enough when it's easy.

Where the hell did you come from anyway? You suddenly appeared out of no where...
“Where the hell did you come from anyway? You suddenly appeared out of no where…”

That’s what you’re going to be saying to your Tree Hugging classmates at your Hunter Safety Course. :ROFLMAO:

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom