225 Copper Powerbelts

Cavalier

I've been wanting to use these so when I ran out of and could not find my favorite Precision bullets I went ahead and sighted in these in my .45 cal Omega. I'm sighted in at 3" high at 100 yards with a 3" group so I'm satisfied with that. However, after reading more on Powerbelts here, I need to ask the experts a question. Is this load going to be to light for mule deer up to 200 yards shots? Please help me on this as I leave for NM in a week and I need to know if I'm going to have to reinvent the wheel and work up another load. As always thanks for any input.

I would not use 225 powerbelts on mule deer at any distance. IMO just too small for a mule deer with a pure lead bullet. The copper covering does nothing except protect the lead for loading, it is not a "jacket". I especially would not use that bullet with anything over 100 gr of powder or it may come apart on you.

If I had to use powerbelts, I would probably use the 270 gr platinum or the 295 aerotip and still not put them too hard. No more than 110 gr of powder and less would probably give you MORE penetration.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

I shot two whitetails with those bullets, both inside 30 yards. I believe I was shooting 90 or 100gr of 777. I got an exit on both. One was a 150ish lb buck, the other was a yearling doe.

Those two deer are the ONLY animals I've ever had a complete pass through on with a Powerbelt. I killed 7-8 with 245 and 295gr in my .50. No exits, and the couple bullets I recovered were about the size of a quarter and just as thin.

If you can use a sabot, I wouldn't even bother with a Powerbelt, if you can't... Look at No Excuses bullets. They exit ever time on deer even at longer ranges. My GF shot a deer in MT with my 45 last year at 125 yards, complete pass through.

200 yard shooting and a 225 is probably not the best combo. It won't have much energy left... however I wouldn't want to get hit with it. :)

Good luck on your hunt.

I've heard really good things about the 275 grain plastic tip power belts in the .45. Look at the ballistic tables on the power belt wed site. You should be fine with the 225s or buy some 275 grain versions I'm sure they'll kill.

My most favorite .45cal powerbelt!

When i did shoot a .45 i used t he 225gr aerotip with 80gr 3f Triple 7. That load was deadly out to 200 yards but of course when i am set up for that range, i got a kill at 80 yards and then my dad got a shot with the same rifle and his doe inside 40 yards. Massive blood trails that were short. The 275gr Powerbelt is a beast but the 225, thats my little favorite to go bullet.

http://frontiermuzzleloadin.powerguild.net/

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom